how much damp is too much

tonyg3nwl

Having been considering purchase of a second hand van, various ones on dealers forecourt, I checked around them with squealy damp meter, then asked dealer for him to use his "proper"meter.

readings on a number of vans, coachbuilt types showed in one case over 50% and well into red zone.

several others showed readings varying between 15 and green zone, and anything from there up to and including amber zone

sales person assured me that readings up to 20%,are considered acceptable by caravan standards and would not be considered a problem and said that those vans would not be considered necessary to have further attention.

what do you say..would you buy one at 20% or less?

Tonyg3nwl

Guest pelmetman
Makes you wonder why they should vary so much? :-S...............what were the make of the driest and the dampest ? ;-)..............

The problem with damp is that it could be just atmospheric conditions or condensation.

A reading today could be different tomorrow.

Add to that the lack of any set standard unit of measurement and you can see it's a minefield.

50% is a serious problem, up to 20% MIGHT be just condensation but I would be looking for less than 10% after ventilation going down to zero on a fine warm day.

A good damp warranty is a good idea, and careful selection of the make could save you a lot of heartache.

Geoff G4LXI

As Geoff has said, it's all a bit subjective.

I really decent damp meter takes some skill and knowledge to interpret correctly - and ought not to be affected by relative humidity. Whilst other more basic ones are a bit hit and miss.

I would say 20% would be the absolute limit - 0 to 15% sounds better -

Using a meter is just one aspect of making an appraisal for damp, a thorough visual inspection to all areas, especially the underside is equally important.

A bradawl is as useful as a damp meter!

Another way to avoid damp is to steer clear of 'known offenders' ;-)

Guest JudgeMental
hallii - 2014-03-10 8:16 PM

The problem with damp is that it could be just atmospheric conditions or condensation.

Geoff G4LXI

To an extent, but a proper pro meter reads the thickness of the wall. moisture level is measured by radio frequency not just across a couple of pins at surface level

http://www.caravanfacts.com/ftopic-1907.html

http://www.damp-meter-direct.co.uk/protimeter-aquant.htm#.Ux6oM_nV_Yg

Call me a skeptic, but I would take the view that 10-15% damp will turn into 50-100 at some stage !

The problem, as we found out, is that condensation can give a reading, when in fact no damp was present. and where we had damp, the 2-pin meter indicated no problem.

Habitation checks for damp may be expensive, but if done diligently can show up problems.

Rgds

Archived