DVLA driving me insane!

Guest JudgeMental

Brian Kirby - 2014-03-12 9:37 PM

It seems to have escaped both of your attention that the problem is with DVLA, not with the source of the van. That is to say, the problem is British, not German. Leaves one wondering what the point of the above comments might be.

I understand what you are saying but surely the problem is very much connected to the source of the van. Vehicles purchased in this country are automatically registered with the DVLA and will remain in their records along with its various owners. The DVLA will have no record of vehicles first registered abroad or indeed the number of owners that the vehicle may have had. How do they verify information given to them about a used imported vehicle or do they just take what it says on the accompanying bits of paper and give an open invitation to those with criminal intent? I don't have the answer but would be interested to know. I wouldn't expect the DVLA's data system to talk to its equivalent in Germany or wherever the vehicle was purchased. I share your concern that the DVLA cannot provide a clear detailed procedure for handling this situation but surely it can only be done properly if there is a collective responsibility involving the country of origin.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest JudgeMental

Living in cloud cuckoo land.......

Been doing this for 20 years as I have not one bit of interest in UK campers..... I sent them a whole raft of documentation as required, had the van tested/ inspected, paid VCA £100 to do nothing, except rubber stamp a piece of paper, and they still cock it up! Nothing to do with Germans!

They printed the date of first German registration (17.05.2013) in wrong V5 I received? We are talking about incompetence here! They insist on original documents not copies. They have recipricol agreements with Germans, and can check authenticity. That is why they did not return German registration to me, as the agreement is once vehicle imported, they return original registration to german authority's, which is fine as long as they do there jobs properly........ *-)

Like Brian says it's this end that the problems arise! only since they have closed down all the local DVLA offices you are now dealing with a bunch of clueless morons

JudgeMental - 2014-03-13 7:14 AM

Like Brian says it's this end that the problems arise! only since they have closed down all the local DVLA offices you are now dealing with a bunch of clueless morons

I don't think at anytime I have defended the DVLA's handling of the matter and share your concern at their inability to deal with things more effectively. The process you have outlined that should have happened is clear but it contains issues like 'checking authenticity' and 'reciprocal agreements'. Processes just waiting to be 'cocked up' by the powers that be. Just making the point that importing from abroad is probably just a little more prone to these sort of problems whether it's through incompetence on either side or otherwise. It's just a view based on my own personal experience. Your 20 years of importing vehicles and current experience will probably lead you to conclude the same.

Hope you get the problem sorted quickly.

We are in the EU the EU is a free trade market it should make no difference to which country you buy your vehicle in as long as it is an EU member country.

AS Eddie say the problem lies with the cost cutting exercise of closing all local offices and everything has to be processed by post.

Just hoping it goes smoother with my registration at the end of the month. (lol)

Guest JudgeMental

Thanks Graham, sorry re the sharp reply, but I am seething regards this!lol I'm trying to get van sorted and equipped for a run down to Spain in a matter if weeks, and my wife has fixed holidays, so it's frustrating not being able to arrange anything. My 10th camper/vehicle import, previous a piece of cake in comparison .

It's all about government cost cutting, which I agree with generally, as we have to shrink costs and beurocracy. But you can't just close offices full of experienced staff, and replace it with a chicken farm full inexperienced kids literally scared for their own jobs (you can here the panic in their voice) reading from inaccurate scripts, from a computer screen giving out misinformation. And to compound this nonsense by not being able to talk to anyone in the import department..it's like something from a Kafka novel to be honest.....

Seems the same with any huge lumbering government department. Becomes a box-tick exercise to hit the daily workload targets.

It's is hit and miss with DVLA - one minute you are talking to someone who doesn't have a basic grasp of imports, then you might be lucky and hit on someone who knows every detail - I've had both, often best to call back and hope the roulette wheel has spun a bit..

Remember, - the best way for a company to reduce the level of complaints about its product or service is to close the complaints department. Does wonders for the stats!

While fully accepting the logic of the UK registration-plate reflecting the date when an imported 'used' vehicle was first registered abroad, my understanding is that the date when an imported used vehicle's UK MOT test becomes due is based on the vehicle's date of manufacture, not on its 'foreign' date of first registration.

If that's correct, then Eddie's Possl would be due for an MOT test on 22 January 2016.

rubberrat - 2014-03-13 9:16 AM

It's is hit and miss with DVLA - one minute you are talking to someone who doesn't have a basic grasp of imports, then you might be lucky and hit on someone who knows every detail - I've had both, often best to call back and hope the roulette wheel has spun a bit..

That is what we found...and although our dealings with them weren't anything to do with importing('twas about sorting revenue weight on V5) but each time I rang/emailed/wrote/called in person, I was told completely different things!? :-S

Other than to keep asking, I don't know what the answer for Eddie is...maybe a "vanity plate"?... :-D

Brought a S/H car some years ago the guy selling hadn't changed the registration from his personal plate before selling (just put the original plates on vehicle), as I need it for a holiday in a couple of weeks phoned DVLA they told me nothing you can do seller must change it before sale, phoned again another person said you may be able to do yourself but not sure. Got in car went to local office all done in 5 min. 8-)

Brian Kirby - 2014-03-12 9:37 PM

Wills Wagon - 2014-03-11 9:57 PM

Much easier to buy British!!!!!!!!

the general - 2014-03-12 5:23 PM

Buy British and it's not all poor service, even if the dvla leaves a lot to be desired!

It seems to have escaped both of your attention that the problem is with DVLA, not with the source of the van. That is to say, the problem is British, not German. Leaves one wondering what the point of the above comments might be.

I spoke to DVLA myself this afternoon - because what Judgemental is being told is illogical - and they confirmed, after making three separate enquiries, that the correct date to use under these circumstances is the date of first registration in Germany.

When one buys a new vehicle it is registered by the supplying dealer on the date the buyer wishes to take delivery, not on the date the vehicle was manufactured. The registration plate is intended to reflect the time the vehicle has been in use, not the time it sat in a manufacturer's compound awaiting a dealer order. So, using the date of manufacture is logically incorrect.

However, my informant, despite checking three times, was unable to confirm where the procedure is written down. So, DVLA operatives seem to be making it up as they go along, and not consulting their procedural instructions. Those instructions should be a matter of public record, and should be publicly accesible. This is not an area of national security or for secrecy. I was disappointed that, despite his further enquiries, my informant was unable to quote either the document title or reference.

when I had all my problems re my licence renewal DVLA told me that their guidelines said it was up to the licence holder to prove they had passed the driving test and send documentation ton prove it. They also said I could not send copies as they don't accept them. When I pointed out I had sent the pass certificate to them (or predecessors) in 1967 for my licence they seemed somewhat nonplussed. I then asked what documentation or proof I could send to prove I do have a licence and I have passed numerous tests for numerous groups, they said their 'guidelines' didn't give this information!!! Good guidelines-chocolate & teapot spring to mind

I had a browse around the import sites (American and Japanese) to see what they said, interestingly they all said nothing about what dated plate should go on the re-registered import, except one, which said year of manufacture. Most countries' registration plates refer to where they were registered, not when.

One thought is that motor homes are manufactured twice, the base vehicle, and then, some time later by the converter.

Good luck, sounds like a nightmare, but some of these import firms might give you their experiences in these cases.

I had my IVA done today, as I couldn't get a COC, and it passed!!

The notes for filling in the V55/5 say DVLA will:-

Give your vehicle a registration number that is appropriate to its age.

As they ask for date of original registration (regardless of what country this was in), I expect they'll use that.

Mine was March 8, 2006 so I should get an 06 plate.

As they also ask for year of manufacture, they wouldn't be able to assign a plate as they don't ask for a month.

I believe that some years ago . that imported vehicles used to all have Q plates?

I am thinking about when we had forces atationed in Germany, and could buy cheaper there, and then when they came home bought them with them

I am sure some of the extra mature guys on here, will put me right, it would have been before the year plating alpha numbering system so early sixtes ??

PJay

When I brought car back from Germany (early'90's) I presented German logbook to DVLA they issued Brit logbook from year 1st reg in Germany snipped corner off German logbook and returned to me no probs but sounds as though things have taken turn for worse!!

As it happens just spoke today to the dealer that is importing our Laika.He says DVLA now a nightmare, mainly because they closed all the small regional offices, moved everything to Swansea but have not upped the number of staff.They are now snowed under.Some people go to Swansea and sit in the offices filling in forms etc. until they get what they want.He said not so long ago, to have a personalized nymber plate put on a vehicle (presumably replacing another one, or maybe not) took a week max, now it takes 6.

As it happens just spoke today to the dealer that is importing our Laika.He says DVLA now a nightmare, mainly because they closed all the small regional offices, moved everything to Swansea but have not upped the number of staff.They are now snowed under.Some people go to Swansea and sit in the offices filling in forms etc. until they get what they want.He said not so long ago, to have a personalized nymber plate put on a vehicle (presumably replacing another one, or maybe not) took a week max, now it takes 6.

PJay - 2014-03-13 6:32 PMI believe that some years ago . that imported vehicles used to all have Q plates? I am thinking about when we had forces stationed in Germany, and could buy cheaper there, and then when they came home bought them with them I am sure some of the extra mature guys on here, will put me right, it would have been before the year plating alpha numbering system so early sixtes ??PJay

Q plates were not applicable to 'forces imports'.  Service men/women from Germany, Cyprus etc regularly brought their vehicles back to the UK.  When I served on C130 Hercules we regularly brought vehicles back if there was room on the aircraft after official freight had been loaded.  At the time there were a couple of companies handling the import procedure and almost all vehicles returned were handled by them.  Such vehicles had, and still have age related plates issued. 

They don't exactly make it clear on the DVLA website that there is an office you can still visit, I'm in Devon for a week a couple of weeks after I get the new van. I think it will be worth the 300 mile round trip to Swansea especially as I've just brought a personal plate for the van and they give different postal address for imports & personal plate registrations.

lennyhb - 2014-03-14 12:22 PMThey don't exactly make it clear on the DVLA website that there is an office you can still visit, I'm in Devon for a week a couple of weeks after I get the new van. I think it will be worth the 300 mile round trip to Swansea especially as I've just brought    "bought"...a personal plate for the van and they give different postal address for imports & personal plate registrations.

Sorry...got my pedantic head on this morning....see red above. :-D

Archived