Ducato rear brakes

Tony Norton

Hi all,

Re: Autotrail Mohican 1999 on Ducato/Alko chassis.

towards the end of last season I started to hear a squeal from the back brakes, presumably when they had got a bit hot because it was only ever near the end of a longish trip.

As I intend to take the 'van off SORN at the end of this month I thought it best to have a look at the rear brakes to see whether or not new shoes are required.

Problem is, I can't get the ruddy drum off. I don't like the idea of levering against the backplate as the backplate is considerably less robust than the drum. The drum, however has 3 tapped holes in it (M10 fine?) that appear to be designed to take the bolt-on end of a slide hammer. I tried pushing it off using each of the tapped holes in turn, I could only find in my various boxes, one bolt that fitted, but that didn't work.

If it is a slide hammer job is this a special FIAT tool? All the slide hammers I have met up with in the past have had 4 or 5 bolt holes and were designed for pulling halfshafts when attached to the shaft end using the wheel nuts/bolts.

Has anybody been this road before and perhaps found a trick to solve this problem?

I am assured, by ALKO, that everything outboard of the swinging arm, i.e. backplate, shoes, drum etc., is pure FIAT.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Tony N

I've not come across Ducato brake drums that I couldn't remove although some have been tricker than others. First of all remove the two tapered wheel locating studs (12mm AF) then I usually give the drum a good clout or three with a 2 lb copper mallet on the wheel mounting face, this usually releases the drum from the hub and it can then be drawn off by hand.

D.

Look through one of the bolt holes in the drum and you will see the self adjuster, try winding this back through the hole.

Lever the drum off with 2 big screwdrivers or levers and it should come off without any damage.

Backplate is strong and no damage unless extremely rough.

You may find a leaky cylinder is causing the squeak.

Dave Newell - 2014-03-11 7:01 PM

First of all remove the two tapered wheel locating studs (12mm AF)

I must be going stupid in my old age! It didn't occur to me that the locating studs may go through the drum and into the hub, not just into the drum.

I'll give that a try later today.

Tony N

Hi All,

thanks to all those who gave advice, particularly the bit about removing the locating pegs!

Got the N/S drum off O.K. and found that the rearmost (trailing) shoe was half the thickness of the leading shoe, the reverse of what one might expect. Reason was, the rearward acting piston was seized in its "out" position. Hence the squeal when it got a bit warm. New shoes and some cleaning up are called for.

Just a last couple of questions.

Does anybody have access to the torque settings for: -

a) The locating pegs and, more importantly

b) The wheel bolts. These didn't seem particularly tight when I removed them.

Thanks again.

Tony N

The pegs are just tightened firmly with a spanner once the wheel is on they can't come out. Without a torque wrench I stand on the nut spanner until the metal creaks (make sure they are clean and not covered in grease / oil), at least I know I can get them off again.

gocro - 2014-03-13 2:23 PM

Without a torque wrench I stand on the nut spanner until the metal creaks

Reminds me of a quote in an early Haynes manual on tightening the centre nut of the flywheel of a VW Beetle, which needed some horrendously high torque setting. "If you don't have a torque wrench the correct torque is all your weightt on the end of a 2ft "T" bar until the nut squeaks". Scientific or what?

Tony N

Archived