Motorhome as tow vehicle

Martinr

I towed a twin wheeled Conquerer behind a l.w.b. Transit for a few years and without doubt it was the best combination I have ever used, it really was that good. The only downside is that site owners view you with suspicion and I know of one occasion of this type of tugging being refused entry on site. Whether these sites view you as a forerunner to a following circus or group of travellers I don,t know, but be aware that this sort of combination will be regarded as a big social no no by some.

Martin towinmg with a motorhome as you suggest should cause no problems.The stability of the towing vehicle does make a substantial difference to the whole towing experince. The problem with site owners is when you arrive with a van which is clearly a commercial vehicle. Docted

Thanks guys, I was actually thinking about a coachbuilt motorhome not a 'homebuilt' conversion, would this still cause a site problem?. Something no bigger than a Transit size. Any suggestions for something with the right pulling power for a large caravan? (lol) Martin

Make sure you have a good rear view camaera system in the m'home that allows you to monitor the caravan whilst towing. In a car, you become instantly aware if their is a problem (puncture, etc). But with a 3500 or bigger coachbuilt, it may totally escape you until your caravan overtakes you on the M1!

[QUOTE]Martinr - 2006-09-01 5:40 PM Does anybody tow a cravan with a motorhome such as a Vito or Transit sized conversion? Would like some idea of pros & cons. What would make the best tow vehicle? Martin (lol)[/QUOTE]

As Mel says, weight is in your favour, in the sense that the heavy motorhome will control the caravan easily on the road.  However, you should probably consider the more powerful engine options, for comfortable, relaxed, towing.

Don't forget gross train weight, this may be the spoiler for your plans.  It is the sum of the actual laden weights of both vehicles, and I think you'll find that, in many cases, the actual laden weight of the coachbuilt won't leave that much margin for the caravan.

You shouldn't need to bother with strap on external mirrors, since even the Vito/T5 size vehicles should be wide enough to allow the necessary view to the rear.  You should also get quite a good view through the caravan rear window - motorhome/caravan layouts permitting, due to the high driving position.

You may be asked to pay extra on some sites, as you effectively have two caravans!

You should try to select a tow vehicle with a short rear overhang.  Long overhangs tend to wiggle around on the road, and this can induce instability in the trailer.

You may need to install a beefed up generator, or some additional control equipment, if you intend running both fridges on 12V and also charging both batteries.

However, if you can solve these minor snags, I think it should work well.

Some will see it as the worst of both worlds, others as the best!  However, given a day van type conversion at the business end, so you have that handy fridge and kitchen for stops/days out, and a fairly compact caravan for bedtime, with its fridge and cooker for the morning cuppa and brekky, I think you could well end up as happy as a pig in the proverbial!

Good luck.

Archived