Diesel fuel filter: water in filter warning: advice?

snowie

Sorry it's a new thread, but just had warning light come on about 40km after topping tank up. Van going well, got to Cullera site, moving on tomorrow. There's a Fiat agent in town so we'll call in and see if they can sort. I'm assuming a new filter and maybe drain tank? Sorry to lose 40 odd litres of diesel but probably best bet. Anyone experience?

Otherwise trip going very well, and Cullera. A nice spot

Regards

Alan b

Alan 1st thing is filter change. If you have left van for any length of time this winter it could be condensation has formed in the tank and a change of filter may in itself be enough to get the excess water out of the fuel.

Enjoy your trip

docted.

Thanks Eddy, van underused last year, but we got down here ok, approx 2k miles so far. Filled tank 2 days ago and light came on some time after that. I would have expected it to be a warning to replace filter at next service, but being some way from uk and home I'm not taking chances. No warning of imminent failure, but I'd rather get the warning light put out!

Regards

Alan b.

We had this once when driving a Duetto on a MK5 non-turbo Transit. The problem eventually turned out to be a faulty sensor in the fuel filter.

At the time we were in northern Finland and it seems that the change in temperature from warmish to coldish was enough to tip the sensor over the edge; there was no water at all in the fuel.

Can you open a drain tap on the filter to see if water runs out? (this is easy on the MK5 Transit) No water = no problem

I do not know why everyone says you need a new filter, they are water separating filters, they are designed to seperate water from the diesel and it runs down into chamber at bottom so it can be drained off. If after you drain the water it repeats quickly then yes you have a problem, but in most cases you will find it is fine and does not happen again as the small amount of water in tank has been cycled through the filter and been collected. Do not keep driving with the warning light on but have the water drained from filter ASAP and then keep an eye on it. It could be you filled up with very wet diesel, or could have built up over a period of time and just a very small amount of water was enough to reach the warning level.

Thanks Brambles, started engine this am to move off chicks, and no light!

I had just had a very gentle explore under the filter housing, I' m about to move off site, to Valencia, so will see about taking it to Fiat dealer there, even if light stays off, I can't see a drain tap, so not going to DIY.

Intake point about not necessarily needing new filter.

Maybe we need a warning light/sensor warning light?

What happened before vehicles were fitted with sophisticated warning systems?

Onwards and upwards!

Regards, Alan b

Snowie

Just in case Nick Fisher (euroserv) can provide expert advice, I believe your motorhome is based on a 2008 Fiat Ducato X250 panel-van with 2.3litre 130bhp motor and 6-speed manual transmission.

These MHF threads may be helpful

http://www.motorhomefacts.com/ftoptitle-92087-2007-fiat-ducato-23-water-in-diesel-fuel-filter-warning.html

http://www.motorhomefacts.com/ftoptitle-124813-fiat-ducato-x250-fuel-filter-rapid-connectors.html

It would appear that you are right not attempting to DIY but, as long as the vehicle is starting OK, not running roughly and the warning light is going off, it should be safe enough to drive carefully to a Fiat agency for attention.

(If you'd topped up with diesel fuel badly contaminated by water, I'd expect the effect to be very noticeable by now.)

Thanks Derek, proceeding as first link suggested. Fiat service agent diagnosed sensor problem after replacing filter, quite why he didn't change sensor a bit of a puzzle. Will take somewhere when back in uk, assuming we get it ba ck ok.

Wi-fi not brilliant so will post from uk.

Great trip

Regards

Alan b

Archived