moroccan ferry

KeithR

going to morocco sometime in oct till nov, and would appreciate any recommendations as to the ferry. algeciras or tarifa? tangier or cueta? and any campsites/stops within a few hours of the ports to get my breath, and find my feet!! any advice gratefully accepted. (?) keithr

Hi KeithR Give Desert Detours as call [do it via the www.desertdetours.com as it is cheaper........they are a UK Co, based in Spain]. They do Moroccan tours but no need to join them as they always help solo's AND often have ferry tickets for upto 50% off.......

[QUOTE]Keith R - 2006-09-02 2:01 PM thanks for that, I'll check out their web. unfortunately i have no idea when we will get the ferry (trundling round the Atlantic coast from Sept 9) so probably cant book til i get to a port keith[/QUOTE] Keith, We always use the Algeciras to Ceuta crossing and fill up with duty free before crossing into Morocco. Ferry tickets can bought from the port complex at Algeciras. They will also give you the necessary visa forms for the entry in Morocco (ask for an extra set for your return as this makes life easier then). We stayed overnight in Ceuta and crossed into Morocco first thing in the morning. It took about forty-five minutes to complete the formalities at the border. On arrival at the border you will be directed to a parking area. 1 Take visa forms and passports to “ENQUIRIES OFFICE” on the left hand side of compound. Write Vehicle Registration Number on reverse of drivers form. You will get an entry visa for three months. This can be extended at a later date by proof of means i.e. “PLASTIC” or opening a local bank account in Morocco. 2 Take Vehicle Registration Document and GREEN CARD to the customs office (signed Registration of Vehicles). There you will complete a green form they keep the original you keep the duplicate. (Don’t loose this as it’s needed to get out of the country). Return to the vehicle with the form and wait for the inspection by the customs official. After inspection a temporary tax disc is issued (ours was glued to the inside of the windscreen). Currency exchange can be completed while waiting for the customs inspection. Today's exchange rate is 16.42DH=£1. We found it was not necessary to bribe officials or pay “helpers” to complete the border formalities. A working knowledge of French is very useful. Generally if the ladies sort out the paperwork at the border they are treated with more respect. Enjoy your trip, If I can be of further help please get back to me. Don

[QUOTE]Brian Kirby - 2006-09-02 5:33 PM

Don

You mention a "green card". 

I assume this is the insurance green card, no longer required within EEC? 

If so, I assume the vehicle insurer must be advised of the proposed trip, to ensure the vehicle insurance is extended to Morocco, and also to get the green card?

Regards

[/QUOTE] Brian, That's right. Some countries you still need the Insurance Green Card for ie Morocco, Turkey, Tunisia and others. When we need our cover extending we just inform our insurers Comfort where we are going and what the dates are. In our case the RAC cover is also extended to the countries that the Green Card has been issued for. Green Card insurance is usually available at most main border crossings, only third party cover is available and can be expensive. Don

thanks don, that information will be of great help, to me any anyone else considering the trip. It will spur my other half into doing the border formalities! her french is better than mine anyway 9im pidgin french!!). ive already got my green card, as im with comfort too. keith (lol)

[QUOTE]Keith R - 2006-09-03 9:17 AM don, have you tried any of the other crossings? someone mentioned getting stones thrown at them on arrival, but i dont recall which port? also, what is the duty free allowance in and out??? keith[/QUOTE] Keith, I've never used the Tangier crossing but friends who have used it-were not happy, also it's a longer crossing. I think, unless it's changed the immigration process is carried out on the ship and on the quay side at Tangier. Ceuta is one of two Spanish enclaves in Morocco, there is no duty free allowance as it's a part of Spain. The fuel is cheaper than Spain (or was) stock your drinks there as well. The first day of Ramadan is the 24th September, out side of the main tourist areas during day light hours life is very quiet, few shops/markets etc are open. This last for one month. The small children do throw stones in Morocco, it's not as wide spread as people make out. We have collected a few small dents over the years. Get back to me if you need any more info. Don

Morning Don and Keith......... The border crossing at Ceuta has changed quite a bit......It has moved to where the Moroccan's themselves used to enter and leave. No real problem, you will be directed. It is also now a series of cabins for passport, vehicle, customs etc etc.......Again no real problem. Vehicle insurance is in the old entry area as is money excxhange. You will find it. The disc they used to put/stick on your window is no longer used....You now get nothing. Unless you go silly you will have no problem with drink allowence into Morocco, or items out. Spanish side are more interested in Illegal bodies than items..... Tangier crossing has improved in so much as paperwork is done on boat. But I never use that crossing anyway....except in emergancy.....as unlike Ceuta where you have a "buffer zone",with Ceuta being Spanish, At Tangier your find yourself in the city as you get off and clear docks. Depending on size etc of your unit ferry can cost from around 225 too 600 euro open return. Crossin to Ceuta takes around 40 mins. Comfort will issue insurance for Morocco, most of our client in fact are with them, but local third party is available at border at abot 1200 Dhm for 20 days. Even arranged recovery via UK based companies will be a nightmare is ever you need it.......Worst part of solo in Morocco!......Parts and repair can also be a problem. BUT there are some very good workshops around, if you can find them. Stone throwing is only a proble "off the main routes" and as a solo you should be carefull doing that anyway. There are now quita a few top class campsites all across Morocco, but some pretty bad ones. Wilderness/Wild camping in NOT A PROBLEM, and is in fact one of the major features of this vast and spectacular country. Major roadworks have now vastly improved the network, some would say [me] better than most of UK! Ramadan is NOT a problem, in fact many [I am there with small group during Ramadan] prefere it. Just some cafe/restaraunts will be closed during the day. If you need any advise just contact [better via web site] but be aware of our scheduals when reply may be a few weeks....very slow internet in Morocco And yes, as one of our returning clients [Jumper] mentioned, we dave our own ferry ticket agent/arrangment. We buy in bulk and IF we have spare we are happy to pass these on. Even get free ones now and then! The country is changing rapidly..............Just go! Ray Desert Detours PS Sorry about spelling,heavy Spanish night and a bit early!

thanks to you both, free tickets sounds good, 600euro sounds bad, but we do what we have to do!!! i guess cueta is the place, after that ????. youve been a great help, and if you think of anything else i need to know, im all ears!its very hard to ask the right questions when you are working in the dark! keith don-ive cut my grass, but will it last til dec when i get home!!!

Hi Keith The 600 euro was for a big RV and Smart car! So don't worry too much. I don't get many "free" tickets, and when we do I of course use them for between trip visits myself (lol), but always have discounted tickets available. We are based Inland from the Marbella between Ronda and Coin. Catch me on the internet [Skype?] and If you wish I will arrange a meet at docks for discounted tickets and talk through route and places of "real" interest. We/I can also fill in your personel and vehicle import forms. I leave for next tour later this week [8th] and am back around 3rd Oct. But check on our site for my later movements. Ray Mmmmm. Strong coffee and warm sun......fingers typing better, spelling will catch up!

Archived