motorhomes expensive?

bazooka

That sounds great and I hope your son has lots of fun with his new toy.

Each to their own as far as how much to pay for a motorhome and everyone has their own views on what is or isn't expensive. But we think our holidays and getaways are great value in terms of the cash spent per person per night and invaluable in terms of rest/recuperation/ fun times spent together.

I'm sure this applies to people who don't have six in the van as well.

We had three motorhomes over twelve years and have gone back to a caravan, the simple reason is that I prefer to drive around all the time in a comfortable luxury car that doubles as the tow car. The more expensive motorhome used to sit on the drive depreciating and not enjoyed for long periods through the winter whilst we drove around in a smaller car. its a bit difficult to justify a £55000 van and a £30000 car on the drive. We find the caravan more comfortable to live in, certainly warmer in winter, its only a small caravan so easy to tow all over Europe just as we used to do in the vans.

Charabanc - 2014-03-17 7:04 PM

But we think our holidays and getaways are great value in terms of the cash spent per person per night and invaluable in terms of rest/recuperation/ fun times spent together.

I'm sure this applies to people who don't have sex in the van as well.

8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

....well, somebody had to. ;-)

Guest pelmetman

Motorhomes......................................expensive? :-S.........

Mines going up in value :D...............

i think its a case of "horses for courses" there are advanteges and disadvantages in both caravans and motorhomes and having come from a caravan to, in our case an american rv, i personally prefer the rv as it takes less time to both get on the road and "pitch up" upon arrival at site. we drag a car behind on an a frame which we use to get around if on a long tour. ok, i accept the down side as in tax. mot. ins, etc, and in our case size. you have also got to do those things with your car you are using to tow the caravan with and with a motorhome you dont have to connect anything up except the power cord or switch on the "gennie" though some new caravans now have inboard water tanks which is a boon as i well remember the trip to the nearest tap with a aquaroll or the trip to the chemi with the cassette!

in short ithink there is a place for both and tents as well. enjoy the freedom and friendship that these bring!! and long may it remain so

Of course they are, if you think £60,000 is a lot of money (I do). But you don't have to spend that sort of money. Mine stands me in for less than £10k, and we have lots of fun and travel thousands of miles a year.

I have to say, the pleasure and anticipation when I get behind the wheel would take some beating. Although I enjoyed tugging (perhaps I should reword that), it was a constant worry watching what the van was doing behind. It's a personal thing.

mirage - 2014-03-17 7:25 PM

We had three motorhomes over twelve years and have gone back to a caravan, the simple reason is that I prefer to drive around all the time in a comfortable luxury car that doubles as the tow car. The more expensive motorhome used to sit on the drive depreciating and not enjoyed for long periods through the winter whilst we drove around in a smaller car. its a bit difficult to justify a £55000 van and a £30000 car on the drive. We find the caravan more comfortable to live in, certainly warmer in winter, its only a small caravan so easy to tow all over Europe just as we used to do in the vans.

Ditto

Recently went back to a small but very high spec caravan brand new £13.500. Pro's and cons for M/H v Caravan think it depends what suits at the time. Agree with mirage though our caravan is much comfier and roomier and generally more snug than the MH was. Modern caravans such as ours now have electronic stability control so towing is not like it used to be. Only hassle is winding down the steadies and but mrs ips does that whilst I plug the elec in and then I put the waste thing in place whilst mrs ips fills the aquaroll,............ bish bash bosh job done.

Eddy - 2014-03-18 9:59 AM

Or what about one of those terrace houses that were recently sold for £1 each up north somewhere.

They are in Stoke on Trent which counts as the North Midlands and will be "down south" for some people rather than "up north".

Coming from Stoke, everyone south of me thinks I'm from Liverpool, everyone north thinks I'm from Birmingham!

The £1 houses were a brave move, but a PR disaster.

Just off to Trentham Gardens now, and then Biddulph Grange at the weekend, best gardens in the country by miles.

A few years ago checking into a hotel in Dundee receptionist asked where I was from , I replied "I'm from down south, the south coast" a girl behind me said (in a funny accent) I'm from down south too, I asked where about, had trouble not to laugh at the reply "Sunderland". (lol)

Archived