Eberspacher Handiwash Wiring?

roofie71

Eberspacher Handiwash Wiring? - Hi, I've just got myself a Movano Ex crew van. It has a Handiwash water heater with taps on board amongst other things. Most wiring in the van has been disconncted for some reason, including the wiring for the Handiwash. It had one red and one black battery cable leading up to it as well as twin cable Red & Black. The only wire left in the unit itself is a little live wire and connector.

Could somebody have a look at my pics and tell me what goes where please. Or better still post me a pic of the wiring of one thats installed.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

handiwash1.thumb.jpg.f7c204f7c4ca74ca2c91a9e6d904ed68.jpg

HANDIWASH.thumb.jpg.1187f68f6616a0dc62bceb0af91647be.jpg

Thank you John, that was eally quick! I had spotted this, but It assumes that the wires are still attached at the unit, which I think is how it comes when new. I can't see any pics of how/where the wires should be attached at the unit itself. As far as I can make out there are 4 terminals at the unit. There is a small Bon live wire still atached to one of them, not sure what this goes into, or where the othe wires go.

roofie71

Wiring-up a Handiwash should be straightforward.

As the Installation Instructions say, a Handiwash unit needs just 2 cables connected to it.

“The unit has a power supply lead (RED) and an Earth lead (RED/BLACK TRACER) at the back of the unit. If these are connected incorrectly, the unit will still operate, however, the indicator light on the cover will not be operational. The earth lead may be connected to the vehicles chassis or any suitable earth point on insulated earth return vehicle. The power supply lead should be connected to the vehicle's power supply via an in line fuse.”

In your first posting the upper photo shows the blue end of the heater's element assembly. The short brown cable is presumably the Earth cable, and a 12V power-supply cable would need to be attached to the alternative connector.

Regarding the relay, a 12V power supply needs to be connected to terminal 30 and an Earth cable to terminal 85. A cable from Terminal 87 to the Handiwash provides the latter with its 12V power-supply.

Because a Handiwash draws 9.6 Amps of 12V power, if it were operated when the vehicle’s motor was not running and the vehicle’s battery was not being charged by the vehicle's alternator, a Handiwash could soon flatten the vehicle’s battery. Consequently, a power-cable is led from the vehicle’s ignition circuit to the relay’s Terminal 86, meaning that the relay will only pass 12V power to the Handiwash when the vehicle’s engine is operating.

Based on the Operating/Installation instructions, it appears that Handiwash units are supplied with a short wiring loom (“The unit has a power supply lead (RED) and an Earth lead (RED/BLACK TRACER) at the back of the unit...”) to connect to the heater's element assembly. This may be the “twin cable Red & Black” lead that has flopped down in your 2nd photo.

Me, I’d largely ignore the present cabling and just wire-up the Handiwash according to the Installation Instructions diagram.

You might find it worthwhile jury-rigging a simple Earth and a 12V power-supply directly to the Handiwash to check that it actually works. Once you had established that the unit worked OK it would be worth putting time and effort into wiring it up properly: if it’s a duffer there’s little point playing about with it.

Archived