Habitation door hinges given way

gordonhymer

Hi, any advice ? Hymer swing 494 2001. Habitation door hinges at bottom have pulled away from motorhome frame. Bottom hinges fully out pulling door and bringing loose top hinges also.

Tried to screw back in but not gripping on anything behind.

Is there a simple solution or a trip to a motorhome dealer?

Guest peter
You can try putting Superglue on the screw threads and squirt some in the holes then put them back, it might work. Can you get to the area on the other side of the fixing points?, if so, then I can and will, offer other alternatives.

hi, i would believe that the frame is made of wood, i might be wrong but (derek uzzell is good on these matters) however it is split so if you took it to dealers god knows how much !! frame off, new surround, etc, but if the frame doesn't look bevelled or owt try a plasterboard plug as here

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50-Plasterboard-Fixings-2-Packs-of-25-/321345629966?pt=UK_DIY_Material_Nails_Fixing_MJ&hash=item4ad1b12f0e#ht_297wt_958

or a metal one as here

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PLASTERBOARD-SPRING-TOGGLE-FIXINGS-WITH-SCREWS-HOLLOW-CAVITY-WALL-ANCHORS-/360834566450?pt=UK_DIY_Material_Nails_Fixing_MJ&var=&hash=item54036a8932#ht_1137wt_956

jon

For a start Hymers do not have any timber framing in the body.

If you could post a photo it would be helpful.

Not sure how your door is fixed on my SL there was a threaded metal plate behind the door frame in each fixing position.

If this is the same in your case, has the thread stripped? If so you may be able to re-tap the plate to the next thread size up and fit larger screws. Another suggestion would be to fit some sort of rivet bush there are loads of different type something like this , you will need a tool to fit them.

Using wooden dowels may not be successful because when you insert the screws into the end grain of the wood the thread will cut the grain into very short lengths, removing most of the strength.

If you can find some traditional fibre Rawlplugs and use them in the same way as suggested by Rolandrat in the message above this one you may have success.

Archived