SNOOPER

hymer1942

We've got the S6400 (bigger screen is the difference) - had it a year now and generally very happy with it. Quite often find it wants to go the same way I would choose anyway, which is good. Mapping is extensive and the various POI stuff is useful, specially if you get the one with all the campsites on. It took us 5500 miles around Europe last summer very happily.

Also, touch wood, it hasn't given any trouble when updating online, unlike various TomToms, Garmins and Navigons of my acquaintance :'(

Make sure you get the largest possible SD card (I think 8 GB) as the free map updates for life is limited to how much memory you have left on the SD card.

When we bought our S8000 the standard card was 4 GB but as it had an MP3 player it would only give us 1GB of music due to the mapping taking up 3GB.

S8000 was very good with ACSI etc. and large screen was very good to keep check on KPH speed limits.

Volume could do with being louder.

I recently bought the larger screen snooper through the CC, which has endorsed the product. However, I got my money back due to a mapping error in Central London on its first outing. I programmed in the CC site at Crystal Palace, which was pre loaded by Snooper, I was travelling on a Sunday and to my simple mind thought I would get through fairly well. On leaving the M4 near the Hammersmith Flyover, I was taken on a most confusing route and arrived at the site 1hr-.30mins , later.

The route out was totally different to the route in and on the approach to the M4, whilst travelling on a 3 laned one way road, I think Cromwell Road rings a bell, it told me to position on the right some 450 yrds plus from manouvre , which at the point of no return I rrealised was incorrect and was taking me back into Central London.

Snooper were initially not helpful;, the tech staff said a poor GPS signal was to blame (In Centtral London ! ) , as it turned out the map was incorrect and all this model had been incorrectly programme with the wrong direction. CC intervened and Snooper became very nice, gave me my money back as I had lost confidence in the kit.

It does seem that the map update would have corrected the fault, but are there any others hidden in the programme.

Went back to Garmin, but also re-learnt my lesson to map out my route the old fashion way, and use sat nav as as an aide not a dependancy. I'm an old dog and should have known better.

• 3 weeks later...
I am in the process of buying a new sat nav can the snooper be loaded with your own poi, s like aires lpg fill up points stellplatz like I have done on my Tom Tom? .Also do they have itinerary planning as this is one thing I use a lot in France because it enables me to take the route I want to not the sat nav prefered route .

I bought the S5000 last year after having a TT 700 for over 5 years, the Tom Tom was all I would need until last May down south of France when it kept losing the signals and my temper. The Snooper sounded all I would need. Then I went to download up dates and found all the pictures of camp sites had gone , Snooper said thats right they are not on the new updates , oh well. The voice on my S5000 is poor and only one available unlike TT which had many.The traffic one which I thought would be helpful turned out like a chocalate tea pot so I will not renew that subscription. Its slim will fit most places without the screen mount .Unfortunate for me that last May trip was my last as I ended up with having three major ops and at moment just started driving the car, but I am sure in my mind we will have a uk trip this year and see how I get on and then???.For the price of the SNOOPER I expected more and feel a cheaper TT would do the same.

mildi - 2014-03-19 2:19 PM

Make sure you get the largest possible SD card (I think 8 GB) as the free map updates for life is limited to how much memory you have left on the SD card.

When we bought our S8000 the standard card was 4 GB but as it had an MP3 player it would only give us 1GB of music due to the mapping taking up 3GB.

S8000 was very good with ACSI etc. and large screen was very good to keep check on KPH speed limits.

Volume could do with being louder.

I threaten to sue performance products ( SB8500 Model) due to the volume issue as I proved beyond doubt that we could not hear the Nav instructions once the vehicle was cruising 2500rpm...the most expensive sat nav on the market, what a joke plus we had to pay another £99.00 for life time updates as we missed the original purchase date by two weeks which triggered the free updates... I have asked myself since why is it Snooper never send their products to be reviewed.against the competition.....cause their overrated and not worth the money!!!! :'( :'(

ok some interesting replies there, on the videos posted above he does mention that he has it on max volume. Now i am all confused (easily done), what is in peoples opinion the competition for this model ? to be honest i like the preloaded sites part and entering you van dimensions but they must sell 100s of these sat navs so cant be all that bad can they ?

Thewad - 2014-04-08 7:41 PM

ok some interesting replies there, on the videos posted above he does mention that he has it on max volume. Now i am all confused (easily done), what is in peoples opinion the competition for this model ? to be honest i like the preloaded sites part and entering you van dimensions but they must sell 100s of these sat navs so cant be all that bad can they ?

sorry but I don't Cristise easily and I do know how the Snooper works I spent several weeks trying to resolve this issue ....SNOOPER have a problem with their audio volume on their high end Sat Nav's

I invited Performance Products to observe my findings but they declined :-|

I have had a snooper 8500 for just over a year and to be honest I am delighted with its performance,

You can load many POI from there website, including CC/CCC/ aires/stellplatz /campingstop/LPG and petrol stations all around Europe and all the usual eating places and supermarkets, way too many to list,

You decide what you want and download them,

I will agree the sound quality could be improved but I am slightly hard of hearing so I connected up a separate speaker and don't have a problem, you can also transmit the sound signal through your car stereo

If you prefer, I also have tom toms and garmin units that I use for other hobbies and though they do the job well for the motor home my choice is the SnooperDS8500..

I also carry a Tom Tom truck GPS As a back up and have run them together when in Europe last year,

It works well but it will remain as my backup and only used if a problem develops with the snooper,

Pays your money and takes your choice!

Flyinghigh - 2014-04-09 9:08 AM

I have had a snooper 8500 for just over a year and to be honest I am delighted with its performance,

You can load many POI from there website, including CC/CCC/ aires/stellplatz /campingstop/LPG and petrol stations all around Europe and all the usual eating places and supermarkets, way too many to list,

You decide what you want and download them,

I will agree the sound quality could be improved but I am slightly hard of hearing so I connected up a separate speaker and don't have a problem, you can also transmit the sound signal through your car stereo

If you prefer, I also have tom toms and garmin units that I use for other hobbies and though they do the job well for the motor home my choice is the SnooperDS8500..

I also carry a Tom Tom truck GPS As a back up and have run them together when in Europe last year,

It works well but it will remain as my backup and only used if a problem develops with the snooper,

Pays your money and takes your choice!

I too added a speaker via the pre amp of the headphone socket ! should you really have to spend more money on what is already the dearest Sat NAV on the market by having to add an additional speaker and, by the way tuning into a dead station to playback the audio via your radio speaker only works till that dead station becomes active ...all the latest motorhome Garmin, Tom Tom do exactly the same as you stated... by the way this is my third Snooper over seven years but definitely my last (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol)

• 4 weeks later...
hymer1942 - 2014-03-19 11:40 AM

Morning all, has anyone got a Snooper 5000 and if so what are your impressions.

Barrie

Hi bought one at the last show at the NEC used it once and sent it back the sound was poor and on full volume it distorted. + I did not like the soft ware. I drive on average 100 miles a day in my job as a service engineer and use a Tom Tom one. So I bought the TomTom caravan camper sat nav and am well pleased.

Hi, I have Snooper Ventura 6000 and other older devices.

My complaint about snooper is the difficulty of setting up a route with various pois entered as coordinates. I cannot fathom how to do it. I am told that you haves to create a series of favourites first from coordinates, whereas I want to create a route chosing stopovers from the pre loaded poi data.

secondly, snooper dont publish their data format,

so I cant create my own up to date data base for eg France passion, or Aires in the areas that I propose to visit, the downloadable version from their website contains unofficial data scoured from internet, and for france passion in particular is at variance with 2014 book. I understand that acsi data is not supplied direct from acsi , and could also be incorrect or incomplete.

another problem is that it always chooses to route me either via dover ferry, or via tunnel, and I cant make it accept portsmouth le havre as a valid option..

I understand that there is a "search for "option in a given distance from current location, but this relies on the inbuilt or downloadable databases to be up to date..there is no guarantee that they are. ?

in summary, it has its uses but I struggle with understanding how to drive it.

my old garmin quest is much easier and can be preset via onscreen on the laptop. Data can be created in csv format, and convertet to gpx for garmin use easily. I have a partial dataset for 2014 france passion, in the areas that I will be visiting, and similar for aires. My route planning is done on the laptop, and transferred to device as required. The downside is that the map data dates to 2009, so is a bit out of date.

tonyg3nwl.

same here, just come back from spain.....'nav' told us to turn left whilst we were on a french motorway..

( no left turns) :-| :-| this is also our third Snooper but will be our last...most expensive rubbish ever and what's Snooper afraid of?? why don't they send their products to the media reviews like other sat nav manufacturers do, l will tell you why cause they will get a bad review B-)

Archived