Hymer S class bed gas struts

hymer1942

Greetings,

Had mine done by Peter last year after another large well known company in the West Midlands totally cocked up the job and had left the bed in a very dangerous condition.

Peter thankfully sorted it for me.

Be very careful who you choose to do the job.

ricardo - 2014-03-20 12:38 PM

Greetings,

Had mine done by Peter last year after another large well known company in the West Midlands totally cocked up the job and had left the bed in a very dangerous condition.

Peter thankfully sorted it for me.

Be very careful who you choose to do the job.

My problem is who? All the dealers are new.

I replaced mine on my Carthago myself buying the new ones from SGS Engineering Derby (£55 per pair) When fitting they were about 10mm too long (fully extended) and I used a small restraining strap and ratchet to close it and slip the bolt into the hole and attaching the securing nut. It really wasn't difficult.

John

HI Barrie

Don't know if this will be of any use to you but a company called Tom Parker Ltd. specialize in the overhaul, repair & re-gassing of gas struts, they are based in Marsh Lane Preston PR1 8RT Tel: 01772 255109

Regards

Phil

Had S 520- and in Italy one broke. Rang Son in UK who rang Madisons who gave me a dealer couple of hours away. I got there they were about to close for there holiday so no way of getting the dealer to fit them. Bought two and fitted them outside dealer after they had gone. Tempeture was over 30degrees first one was a pig, with aid of piece of timber second was a ,doddle The journey to dealer was with a 4x2 piece of timber holding bed up.Forgot the town but its famouse for operars.

• 4 weeks later...

yes. The method is as follows

With the bed down remove the c clips, - those that secure the eyes of the strut to the bed and the roof.

A flat blade screwdriver between clip and pivot is the method. Ensure the whole family is watching, - these clips have a habit of flying for yards.

Carefully push the bed up ensuring the eyes don't slide off the pegs. (if this happens you are in deep doo doo)

Prop up the bed with timber, - (big piece), because in the next step you will remove the struts, which are currently holding up the bed! Think about point load. Beds are heavy, don't use bamboo. use 4x3 and a bit of board like a tray to spread the load

The gas struts (with the bed up and supported by timer) are fully extended so "should" be easy to slip off the pegs, (HA bloody Ha)

By easy I mean you have to contort your arm/wrist /thumb around the shape of the bed. I've still got the scars!

A new (fully extended) strut "should" slip on to the pegs, with hardly any more spilled blood than the removal process. DOO check you've got the right length strut!

Remove timber, lower bed, replace c clips. simple. (buy band aids before attempting this)

It's a tricky but not impossible job. More to do with dexterity than strength or experience. Good luck

If you find you have to compress the strut to get it "on", - you are either not doing it right, or you've got the wrong strut.

Archived