Anyone got a Papillon dog?.............

Guest pelmetman

Guest pelmetman

I refer to my recent inheritance ;-)...................We at first thought it was a mongrel...........as she was a rescue when the old man took her on, and appeared to of been used as a breeding machine judging by the size of her teats 8-)..........

Our vet in France said she was a Papillon............which we google'd on our return.............apparently they don't like the cold 8-).................plus they should weigh 3.5kg.............Piggy weighed 7.5kg after a fortnights diet *-).....

My question is do they survive this far North...........and are they usually fussy eaters? :-S...............as Troy has never not eaten anything..............whether it was edible or not :D.......

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Must admit never heard of a papillon dog,i have a husky ali x who weighs nearly 40 kilos and is impossible to walk on a lead,we bought a stop pull harness for large dogs and he snapped it in a day! Luckily he is dead friendly with both humans and dogs or i dont think i would keep him cos if he wants to say hello he simply drags me with him,have found a cure now a pocket full of dog treats dont know if bribery is best but nothing else works

Ah yes, a Papillon ... hairy small dogs with BIG ears! A bit like a larger version of a Chihuahua! I can't see why 'Piggy' would have a problem as she will have a nice thick coat, but you could always make her a nice coat out of some surplus pouffee material ... just don't try to STUFF HER!!!! (lol)

C'mon Dave ... lets be having some photos of the 'little' mite!

Guest pelmetman
Mel B - 2014-03-20 6:24 PM

Ah yes, a Papillon ... hairy small dogs with BIG ears! A bit like a larger version of a Chihuahua! I can't see why 'Piggy' would have a problem as she will have a nice thick coat, but you could always make her a nice coat out of some surplus pouffee material ... just don't try to STUFF HER!!!! (lol)

C'mon Dave ... lets be having some photos of the 'little' mite!

Having trouble with posting pic's since my hard drive snuffed it :-S..................don't seem to have the same software *-).............

As for Piggy she's now on borrowed time since she decided to crap in the bedroom 8-).................maybe I should of kept the vibrator............I could use it as a cork >:-)

pelmetman - 2014-03-20 6:41 PM

As for Piggy she's now on borrowed time since she decided to crap in the bedroom 8-)

Here's your answer, Dave!

"Troy has never not eaten anything..............whether it was edible or not ..."

It vwill save on food for Troy for a bit too! "Two birds with one stone" comes to mind! :D

Cheers,

Colin.

As for Piggy she's now on borrowed time since she decided to crap in the bedroom 8-)

"Troy has never not eaten anything..............whether it was edible or not ..."

It will save on food for Troy for a bit too! "Two birds with one stone" comes to mind! :D

Cheers,

Colin.

It will save on food for Troy for a bit too! "Two birds with one stone" comes to mind! :D

Cheers,

Colin.

Guest peter

One post like the above is one too many, never mind three. What a nasty person.

It doesn't say much for your bathroom Dave, if the little dog thought it was a yard.

If you've just got the dog maybe it's nervous, or just marking its territory. :D

Guest pelmetman
Symbol Owner - 2014-03-20 7:56 PM

Cheers,

Colin.

You do need to move on from your dog phobia Colin ;-)..............especially as your in the councilling game :-S............maybe you need some aversion therapy, perhaps a weekend at MelB's would be the answer :D...............

I've met her 8-)...............she doesn't bite..........unless provoked >:-)...........

Guest pelmetman
peter - 2014-03-20 8:07 PM

It doesn't say much for your bathroom Dave, if the little dog thought it was a yard.

If you've just got the dog maybe it's nervous, or just marking its territory. :D

Not sure if she's marking her territory..........................just to fat and lazy to go outside *-)..................although to be fair she is clearly yet to acclimatize..............as she rarely emerges from the blanket we put in her bed :-S........

Oh the poor little mite, she is traumatized dont you know dogs have a sixth sense ? she knows you dont like her! she has probably spent her life caged up never had any excersize and hasnt been toilet trained !! and used as a puppy machine !! is this her fault ?

Papillons are lovely little dogs mine are chihuahua,s but they all have the same needs , give her time, you already have a dog dont you ? so you do know how to train them, dont think because they are small they have to be trained and taken care of any different to any other dog. She needs smaller kibble than your lab by a long chalk!! we use Royal Canin low fat as both have been neutered and they tend to put on weight after that mix that with a little bit of chicken to get her interested and dare I say (lol) (lol) hand feed her to temp her until she eats on her own.

If you dont want her advertize her there are loads of people out there that would give her a good home, only make sure they arent going to breed from her get her neutered :-D just a bit of friendly advise you understand >:-)

Guest pelmetman
maggyd - 2014-03-20 9:01 PM

Oh the poor little mite, she is traumatized dont you know dogs have a sixth sense ? she knows you dont like her! she has probably spent her life caged up never had any excersize and hasnt been toilet trained !! and used as a puppy machine !! is this her fault ?

Papillons are lovely little dogs mine are chihuahua,s but they all have the same needs , give her time, you already have a dog dont you ? so you do know how to train them, dont think because they are small they have to be trained and taken care of any different to any other dog. She needs smaller kibble than your lab by a long chalk!! we use Royal Canin low fat as both have been neutered and they tend to put on weight after that mix that with a little bit of chicken to get her interested and dare I say (lol) (lol) hand feed her to temp her until she eats on her own.

If you dont want her advertize her there are loads of people out there that would give her a good home, only make sure they arent going to breed from her get her neutered :-D just a bit of friendly advise you understand >:-)

Yes we have had big dogs by choice Maggy.................I'll admit I took her in under sufferance and filial duty *-)..............the old man only had her 9 months and spent a fortune at the vets on operations 8-)...........but he must of known I'd take her in, as he'd had her passport done and left in the glove box of his car :-S.............

Dave, how old is she? Is she okay now with the exception of her weight? She'll soon settle in with you I'm sure but don't let her sit in her bed all day, make a point of taking her out often so she gets used to interacting with you and not being frightened of 'new things'.

Are you going to Newark show? If so bring her with you and she can have a sniff and play with our lot, it's surprising how much it perks them up. :-D

Guest pelmetman
Mel B - 2014-03-20 9:33 PM

Dave, how old is she? Is she okay now with the exception of her weight? She'll soon settle in with you I'm sure but don't let her sit in her bed all day, make a point of taking her out often so she gets used to interacting with you and not being frightened of 'new things'.

Are you going to Newark show? If so bring her with you and she can have a sniff and play with our lot, it's surprising how much it perks them up. :-D

Yes we're taking her out and making her walk, and to be fair she is learning and getting fitter as I don't have to carry it after the first mile anymore *-)................although she does seem to have a attitude problem with other dogs, but we are mixing her with other dogs in the village now so hopefully that'll soon be cured as there are more dogs than humans here ;-)..........................the ideal place for Colin (SO) to retire too >:-)......

pelmetman - 2014-03-20 8:15 PM

You do need to move on from your dog phobia Colin ;-)..............especially as your in the councilling game :-S............maybe you need some aversion therapy, perhaps a weekend at MelB's would be the answer :D...............

I've met her 8-)...............she doesn't bite..........unless provoked >:-)...........

I had meant to post this last night ................. but the forum was just too slow to bother with -- again!

It was in jest Dave! I just don't 'signal' them with hordes of emoticons/'smileys'! Sorry if you are so sensitive! Like some of your 'jokes' ( and Peter's, I might add!) it was in bad taste -- but you did 'leave the door open' for me to put my big foot in it! -- apologies.

Now, just to correct a few misconceptions -- I am NOT "In the Counselling (correct spelling, Dave) game" -- and haven't been for many years -- and I have just left the CAB too, now that I am about to reach the age of 70, in case you were referring to that, although that role really has little or nothing to do with counselling. 'Moving on' from dog phobia is just not an option, Dave, it is with you for life -- the 'aversion therapy' ( bringing on a severe'aversion' to dogs, that is!) came when I was attacked/bitten by a dog at the age of under 5,and, certainly, when it became apparent as to why I would be blind in one eye for the rest of my life -- physical and mental scars can't be removed by 'moving on', I'm afraid.

Colin.

P.S. Please don't bring Mel B into this - she is utterly irresponsible in her dog-worship and anthropomorphic attitude to the ghastly creatures! I have to control my urge to gag every time that I see that vile avatar of hers at the head of her posts! Perhaps that's the aversion therapy you were referrring to -- gets me every time!

C.

P.P.S. The thread got pulled -- but you once dubbed me: "An equal-opportunities dog-hater" -- I enjoyed that one!

C.

Good morning, Clive,

Quite so, the sight IS failing in my 'good' eye, and although of course, I recognize the usefulness of guide dogs for the blind (one of the few good reasons for keeping a dog at all, in my opinion) for me it would, perhaps unfortunately, be a complete 'No-No'. I can't stand their smell, their noise, their horrible slavering, hair-shedding, fawning behaviour, or anything about them, and, as I get older ( and less tolerant!) this dislike, bordering on hatred, just gets worse -- there's honesty for you! 'Pet' dogs are a pestilence and an abomination, and,in my view, shouldn't exist -- ALL dogs should be licenced and treated like firearms, the preserve of a few who are trained to handle/keep them for specific and useful purposes -- and no-one else. An extreme view, I know, and never likely to be put into operation, but there it is.

Colin.

Guest pelmetman

Going clothes shopping today....................for the dog 8-)................

If I can get my computer sorted I'll post a picture for you Colin :D.........I know you can't wait (lol)

I hope its just a coat your getting her Dave :-D I used to go on an american chihuahua forum !! I mean these people ask for all the comments they get ! they dress them in fancier dresses than Ive bought for my daughter and grand-daughters 8-) the look on their pooches faces tells it all .

Symbol Owner - 2014-03-21 8:46 AM

pelmetman - 2014-03-20 8:15 PM

I had meant to post this last night ................. but the forum was just too slow to bother with -- again!

It was in jest Dave! I just don't 'signal' them with hordes of emoticons/'smileys'! Sorry if you are so sensitive! Like some of your 'jokes' ( and Peter's, I might add!) it was in bad taste -- but you did 'leave the door open' for me to put my big foot in it! -- apologies.

Now, just to correct a few misconceptions -- I am NOT "In the Counselling (correct spelling, Dave) game" -- and haven't been for many years -- and I have just left the CAB too, now that I am about to reach the age of 70, in case you were referring to that, although that role really has little or nothing to do with counselling. 'Moving on' from dog phobia is just not an option, Dave, it is with you for life -- the 'aversion therapy' ( bringing on a severe'aversion' to dogs, that is!) came when I was attacked/bitten by a dog at the age of under 5,and, certainly, when it became apparent as to why I would be blind in one eye for the rest of my life -- physical and mental scars can't be removed by 'moving on', I'm afraid.

Colin.

P.S. Please don't bring Mel B into this - she is utterly irresponsible in her dog-worship and anthropomorphic attitude to the ghastly creatures! I have to control my urge to gag every time that I see that vile avatar of hers at the head of her posts! Perhaps that's the aversion therapy you were referrring to -- gets me every time!

C.

P.P.S. The thread got pulled -- but you once dubbed me: "An equal-opportunities dog-hater" -- I enjoyed that one!

C.

Actually its just as well you are HUMAN ! if you were CANINE you would be put down as a DANGEROUS BREED. >:-)

I have a large u shaped scar on my forearm caused by a german sheperd cross,it was actually attacking my dog a missed and got me,it wouldnt let go and actually pulled me over,nothing of course to losing sight in one eye,the pain was extreme cos a dog bite bruises as well as cuts,not to mention the shock afterwards but dogs by nature are not agressive i dont believe, its how they are treated when they are young

Archived