France Passion 2014 - GPS Coordinates

Derek Uzzell

For anyone considering joining (or rejoining) the France Passion (FP) scheme, it's perhaps worth knowing that the 2014 guidebook now includes GPS coordinates for each of the current 1800 or so FP sites. This should address past criticisms of how difficult it could be to find some FP sites using the brief directions that were provided.

http://www.france-passion.com/gb_formule.php

https://www.vicarious-shop.com/France-Passion-2014.html

Hi, yes it is useful to have coordinates, but unfortunately like All TheAires book they dont let you load them into satnav so you can for example Search Nearest while in transit.

Thumbing through the book and the map to find one while travelling is a proper pain in tbe hind quarters.

making a "compilation" is specifically banned if you read the small print, and of course I understand that there are those that might not buy the up to date book, but download someone elses copy.

The same "no compilation" rule applies to Britstops as well, for the same reasons.

An alternative way of ensuring "members only" have access might be to have a locked download available only unlockable by a member specific code. Garmin maps have a similar lock system related to device number, so maybe France Passion, Britstops , etc, and All the Aires book should come up with such a system rather than rely on Copyright notices which are more difficult to enforce..

Snooper system provides down loads of gps data, again using device restricted access, so systems exist.

Tonyg3nwl.

The cost seems high £24.99 to join for a year. i would rather buy the French aires book from the supermarkets for 10 euros, and you don't need a new one every year. As we like to stay at places within walking distance of village/town/beach, i believe the FP sites are a bit remote?

PJay

tonyg3nwl - 2014-03-22 2:22 PM

...An alternative way of ensuring "members only" have access might be to have a locked download available only unlockable by a member specific code...

Tonyg3nwl.

As you'll be aware, the France Passion (FP) website does have a "Members Area" accessible via the Guest Card number and an Activation Code.

It ought to be straightforward enough to provide downloadable GPS coordinates for FP sites through the Members Area, and you may recall that a peculiar GPS coordinates download arrangement was introduced for the 2013 year, but has now been superseded by publishing coordinates within the booklet.

I don't download POIs to my sat-nav, so using a Search Nearest feature to identify FP sites' locations while travelling would have no attraction for me. I can fully appreciate, though, that such a capability could be useful for other people.

As you'd like to be able to download FP-site GPS coordinates, why not contact France Passion and suggest that they offer that facility via the Members Area? If enough FP members ask for downloadable coordinates France Passion might be prepared to provide them.

Lack of GPS coordinates for FP-sites was a loudly-spoken criticism of the scheme for quite a few years and, although France Passion was originally very resistant to the idea, they've now chosen to provide coordinates. So they will react to members' suggestions.

PJay - 2014-03-22 6:00 PM

The cost seems high £24.99 to join for a year. i would rather buy the French aires book from the supermarkets for 10 euros, and you don't need a new one every year. As we like to stay at places within walking distance of village/town/beach, i believe the FP sites are a bit remote?

PJay

As should be apparent from the campingcar-infos website, changes are constantly occurring within the French 'aires' network - new aires open, existing aires close, free aires become payable, payable aires become free.

I use this aires guidebook

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Guide-officiel-aires-services-camping-car/dp/2358390321

which, like you, I don't replace annually because I'm not too worried about the network changes.

The France Passion network of sites is more volatile however. Consequently, it's much more important to have up-to-date information on each FP-site and such information is only available from the France Passion guidebook. This is why a new guidebook is published each year.

For 2014 the France Passion scheme offers 1800 'overnighting' alternatives to campsites, aires, laybys, etc. but, realistically, the only way to establish whether £24.99 is worth paying is to join the scheme and see whether you enjoy the experience. This earlier thread may be useful

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/In-the-spirit-of-sharing/31239/

Archived