Diesel Filters and MOT

Barney123

Don't know how relevant the following is to our Motorhome tests.

Diesel filter check added to MOT test

The testing of diesel cars, vans and lorries is being tightened up to ensure they have a critical exhaust filter.

From February, garages and testing stations will be required to check for diesel particulate filters when inspecting the exhaust system as part of the MOT (or annual test for heavy vehicles). A vehicle will automatically fail if a filter has been fitted as Original Equipment but is found to no longer be present.

Particulate filters work by trapping solid matter from exhaust gases. They have been in use for more than two decades and help diesel vehicles to meet EU emissions standards. However they also need to be ‘regenerated’ regularly and, if not done properly, this can lead to a build up of soot, which can affect fuel economy.

Consequently some diesel owners opt to remove them, which makes their vehicle illegal for road use. It is an offence to drive a vehicle that has been modified this way, as it will no longer meet the standards it achieved when approved for sale in the UK initially.

“I am concerned that vehicles are being modified in a way that is detrimental to health and undoes the hard work car manufacturers have done to raise emissions standards,” Roads Minister Robert Goodwill said. “This change to the MOT makes it clear – if you have this filter removed you will fail the test.”

Guest peter
I think the o/p is confusing a catalytic converters with a dpf, which also needs some expensive liquid to be injected as well.

peter - 2014-03-21 9:11 PM

I think the o/p is confusing a catalytic converters with a dpf, which also needs some expensive liquid to be injected as well.

Don't need any expensive liquids on Fiats also only manufacture to compile with Euro 6 without addictives.

An additive may or may not be used with a DPF

http://www.aa-academy.com/Training/Learning%20Zone/Diesel%20Particulate%20Filter%20(DPF).asp

I'm not sure if Fiat will meet Euro 6 emissions standards without using an additive. I know Nick Fisher has mentioned it as likely, but all I can find on-line is this truck-related article.

http://melbournetruckcentre.com.au/Websites/melbourneinternational/images/news__Iveco_Euro_6.pdf

This says that Fiat will use a non-EGR method to meet the Euro 6 limits, but the article indicates that an additive will still be required.

Thank God i don't have this daftness to put up with on my van. However the LEZ stopped me from visiting my son in my van (Transit 2.5TDi), but i was ok in the car i had up till last month, a Focus 1.8 petrol.

The LEZ is supposedly all about 'emissions'.

No prizes for guessing which vehicle engine returned the lowest emissions on MOT!! *-)

Archived