Ring of Kerry?

Billggski

Guest peter

Who's Kerry?. :D

Have a great time. I love Ireland, great place for the craic, roads are a bit narrow though. Plenty of places to wild camp as well. I love the County Clare area, that was my favourite foreign trip when I was working as we had a plant there that I used to visit occasionally and stay at the Shannon Fitzpatrick hotel, we had some great nights there. All on expenses, loverly.

Arr yes, we did this trip 3 years ago and had a great time. We had a 7m m/h and had no problems getting around the main roads although there are potholes to be aware of

We started our trip in Kilarney and stayed at Flemings White Bridge. Nice friendly site and you can walk into Kilarney for the nightlife.

Definitely go to Cahersiveen and stay at Mannix Point. Lovely views with a back to basics feel about it

Valentia island worth a visit

Write to the Irish tourist board they will send you a book of campsites, we did it years ago when we had a caravan, we stayed at Castle Gregory that was near Tralie on a good camp site, a lot of the roads were like our B roads, we were travelling in a Citron zantia so I cant tell you how a motorhome will manage!! even the main roads were very bumpy though O.H ended up letting air out of the tyres as the caravan was shaken quite a lot things were all over when we opened the door (lol) Mel B has been more recently though so she will advise if she sees your thread, or p.m her.

Hi,

did it a couple of years ago, stayed mainly on campsites. They tell you to go around the Ring of Kerry Clockwise (or was it Anti-Clockwise ?) so that you are not meeting all the coach tours 'head on',

I ignored this advice, and ended up driving up steep hairpin bends, and coming down into the 'Gap of Dunlow' from the 'Wrong' end !! The 'jogging cart' drivers were NOT amused !! Also went on to the Dingle peninsular, which is really beautiful, Kissed the Blarney stone . all of the usual stuff.

The Roads can be very Good, then suddenly change to 'B' awful with little prior warning, also most of the laybys have 'height barriers', so getting a proper rest time can be a challenge.

The only site I can REALLY recommend is 'Mannix Point' at Caerachaveen, opposite Valentia island.

peat fire, Folk music, good loo's great Craic (whatever that is ?) ;-) Ray

Bill, coaches go around it so no problems although a bit tight in places when dropping down into Killarney. Go round anti clockwise, this is what the coaches do.

A really good site is Glenross Caravan site at Glenbeigh Village which is at the start of the Ring of Kerry.

Spotless site and Sean & Cath are very nice and helpful, you can't go wrong on this site, we had a lovely 4 day's here in the van but would have liked to have stayed longer. 9 stars out of 10 for this site on the ukcampsite.co.uk review. Pub next door also that do meals and sometime live Irish music.

Dave

Agree with Rayjsj about Dingle but I would recommend getting there early or it's a nightmare to park up especially in Summer..

We did 3 weeks in Ireland in 2011 and 5 weeks in 2013 and it was great! Both trips were done just by wildcamping without a problem. As for Kerry, personally I think it is very over-rated, DIngle and some others are much better. The roads have had a lot of work done on them so are nowhere near as bad as they used to be. I can't remember what vehicle you have though so can't advise on whether you'll be okay going to where we did as the last trip there was in our PVC so we went down some VERY narrow roads!

Guest pelmetman
Rayjsj - 2014-03-21 9:17 PM

great Craic (whatever that is ?) ;-) Ray

It's just above Kerry's ring :D............

Sorry..........I'll get my coat :$

Guest JudgeMental
West of Ireland generally lovely, have done the ring a fair few times when I was young with family and last time over 20 years ago with a trailer tent. its very relaxing with good food to be found, but now far from cheap.....Then theres the Guinness..... Barman! 2 pints of your black stuff please. Certainly sir! would you like a drink while you're waiting? (the real thing takes forever to prepare) :-D

Guest JudgeMental

Right! 2 of my particular favorites places to visit in the West of Ireland...

GOUGANE BARRA: we always stopped of here, its an incredibly peaceful spot associated with St Finbarr. Has a tiny church with not much else but it really has something.....You can have a cup of tea in the hotel

http://vikingladyaine.wordpress.com/2013/02/09/the-little-church-in-the-lake/

http://www.cork-guide.ie/gouganebarra/gouganebarra.html

Ross castle, lower lake Kilarneny, not so much the castle itself but walks through the killarney national park to lower lake and lovely views. When you approach the castle there is a path through woods to the left, just follow this to the lake....

http://www.killarneynationalpark.ie/Ross%20Castle/Ross%20Castle.htm

We loved Mannix Point campsite at Cahersiveen. Take your musical instrument for evening entertainment in the campers' sitting room. Great for trips to Staigue Fort, Valencia Island and if you are lucky with the weather, the Skelligs.

Dingle was very beautiful, too. Lucky you, have a great time.

Archived