Average Fuel Consumption

Mel E

I know many motorhomers try to monitor their fuel consumption, and I mentioned a few weeks ago a method of monitoring the average using a technique called 'exponential smoothing' - no, don't yawn yet. I've been asked for details, so here goes! It is really easy to use in a simple spreadsheet, works brilliantly, and gives a really good running average, weighted as much as you want to the most recent fill-ups that is much better than most other methods such as: - average since new (doesn't show the CURRENT trend) - average of last 5 or 10 fill-ups (still to weighted to history). The formula is simple. Each time you fill up, you must fill to the top, note the mileage and cost per litre (to work out litres) on the fuel receipt, then calculate either litres/100 Km or mpg since last fill up - call this IMPG or Instant MPG. (Conversion factors for miles>Kms and Litres>gallons given later). Then: NEW AVERAGE MPG = AVERAGE MPG before this fillup * 0.8 + IMPG * 0.2 The 0.8 and 0.2 are the weightings. They must add up to 1.0 but otherwise you can use any values you like - .7 and .3 give more weight to current performance and less to history. If you're good with spreadsheets, use a defined variable instead of 0.8 (call it 'alpha') and then use 1-alpha instead of 0.2 and you can set alpha to any value you like. A typical spreadsheet might have the following columns: A - Date of fill-up (You input this on each row) B - Cost of fill up (You input this on each row) C - Cost per litre (You input this on each row) D - Cumulative vehicle mileage (You input this on each row) E - Litres of fill-up (=B/C) F - Kms run (=(D this row - D previous row)*1.60935 (converts miles to Kms_ G - Instant Litres per 100 Kms (= E*100/F) H - Instant MPG (=282.3738/G) I - Average Litres per 100 Kms (= (I previous row*alpha) + G*(1-alpha) J - Average mpg (= (J previous row*alpha) + H*(1-alpha) To start the averages running, you need an initial 'previous row' before the first fill up - simply enter the average for the first fill-up and off you go. If you're really good with spreadsheets, include a graph of instant and average mpg. I've included the Litres / 100 Kms measure because I find it helps me get used to this metric measure, but leave it out if you're an anti-metric protester! (As I've said before, Nelson at the Nile and Trafalgar ensured the world speaks English rather than French, so I'm quite happy to let them measure things as a consolation prize!). Happy monitoring!

Timberland Freedom Fiat Ducato LWB High top 2.8 JTD. Three years old with 42,000 miles on the clock. I don't usually bother to check the fuel consumption closely but when we decided to have The Van Aaken Smart Box http://tinyurl.com/dvala fitted We did a before and after check. After having the smart Box fitted to my Timberland in April 2005 I decided to do a fuel consumption check on a 4200 mile trip around the Iberian Peninsula. We normally cruise at about 90/100 KPH (usually the van is fully loaded 3300kgs) and with the cruise control set we found that we did not have to change down for the hills which we would have expected to have change down on before the box was fitted. I tried to keep an accurate check when refueling, It's difficult at times when you are trying to fill the tank right to the brim. The 4200 miles on the continent returned the following:- Overall 33.08 MPG Best 36.25 MPG Worse 27.73 MPG On a previous trip to France (1400 mile) before the Smart box was fitted our overall MPG was 30.34. I must point out the smartbox was fitted for convenience rather than fuel economy. Don

Don, I can't fit an ECU modifier yet as it's not out of warranty - the Renault comes with a 3-year pan European warranty and recovery/roadside service. Modifying the ECU invalidates that and I reckon it's worth a lot more to me than the odd couple of mpg.

[QUOTE]Mel E - 2006-09-04 6:16 PM Don, I can't fit an ECU modifier yet as it's not out of warranty - the Renault comes with a 3-year pan European warranty and recovery/roadside service. Modifying the ECU invalidates that and I reckon it's worth a lot more to me than the odd couple of mpg.[/QUOTE] Mel, Mine is the same that's why I waited and had it fitted in the last eleven months. I did not do if for the fuel economy but for the ease of driving, any way the last years warranty on the Fiat is not worth the paper it's printed on. I remove the unit when it goes in for servicing anyway. Don

Archived