Caravan Club. At it again.

rolandrat

this last weekend we were at a get together with our Wildcamping and Free Motorhoming friends, the venue was at Ribblehead in the dales. On the Saturday we decided to go into Hawes to the cattle market with the intention of emptying our cassette in a designated drain but on arrival it was closed. Once over it was always available for car and coach parking, maybe it was to early in the season. At that, as we are members of the Caravan Club we decided to go along to the local site to use their disposal point. When I went into reception to ask if I could use the Elsan point I was told no. I said that as a member surely I could use it but again I was told no. I was then asked where I had been camping, when I told the lady warden she said that I should have disposed of it there. I said the last thing I want to do is to empty it on common land but her attitude was going to leave me no choice. At this she retreated to an office where I overheard her discussing it with someone then came back and said that I could used their disposal point if I was prepared to donate £5 to the local Mountain Rescue collection box. She said that if this situation was allowed normally it would be open to anyone wanting to use it. I asked her if she was aware of Aires in France and Spain where disposal was allowed and she said that she didn't know what they were. I said that I would take it up with the Caravan Club office to clarify the position as I wasn't happy. I duly made a contribution to the collection box and went to empty the cassette. I know she was only doing her job and the last thing I wanted was unpleasantness and in the end common sense prevailed. Membership fees are quite high as it is, surely we should be able to expect a little give and take, We do use the sites occasionally and don't consider ourselves freeloaders.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest pelmetman

The clues in the name ;-).............The CARAVAN club *-).................

Motorhomers are second class citizens :-|...............

Guest JudgeMental
incredible......and to think I just rejoined! Take it up with them..I find writing to the top initiates a better response then some crypto fascist a$$ wipe in green *-)

To my understanding the CC does not offer this facility. Their thinking is based on 2we would rather have a full site night fee" after all their business model is based on selling pitches. I am sure many will disagree but its nothing to do with "Caravan" in their name but selling pitches is the game which makes them profitable.

ips - 2014-03-24 4:58 PM

I thought both clubs had a fixed cost for visit to site for emptying and filling with water, is this no longer the case as it definately used to be.

It's only ever been the C& CC that had a fixed charge for that service, I have on several occasions put foward the Idea that it would be a good idea for the CC to do the same, I think that the warden showed a bit of spirit, by going ahead and letting you empty, and the Mountain Rescue service is a worthwhile place for the money. In defence, someone has to pay for the Tanker to call, and dispose of it all.

Why don't all the CC members on here, write and ask for 'Service Stop' charge. ??

Shower,use of Washing M/c's (charge of course), cassette empty, waste water empty, fresh water fill up.

Sure it would be popular. Ray

In answer to docted, yes, but they are also supposed to be a 'Club', and to give a service to their members, so, this would cost them very little, and might even gain a few extra members ?

We've been members of the CC for 15 years, as far as I'm aware the Club does not and never has offered this facility.

I'm aware that the CCC does though.

I strongly suspect this subject may have some serious mileage in it. I certainly don't want to be sharing expensive club facilities with any tom dick or harry dumping their waste, toilet emptying, nipping into the shower and or toilet block either.

Particularly when they've not paid site night fees.

Membership doesn't grant us rights to come and go on the sites and use facilities as and when we choose does it?

I hear the common sense argument, but rules are rules, the warden in my view, stuck her neck on the line and left herself open to complaints.

Martyn.

I'm afraid Roland you were being rather cheeky to expect to be able to use the 'facility' without paying for it! 8-)

I must admit that if there is a rule, regardless of whether they are happy to enforce it or not, it should be abided by however you seem to have been 'lucky' to find someone who was willing to break it. However, how would you feel if you were one of the members on the site with a motorhome who had paid the full fee to be 'resident' for the night because they needed the services but saw a 'non-resident' using the facilities free ... you'd then be complaining about that.

It doesn't mean that I agree with their being no 'service only' price for those of us who wild camp but there isn't one for the CC and never has been. If they did do one though I think it would certainly prove popular as would their having a more basic stopping facility as well, such as a MH specific parking area, for those who just want to stop en-route to somewhere and don't need a pitch. Of course, though you could simply have looked out for a CL in the area and used that for a night which would probably have only cost you £5 or thereabouts anyway! :D

JudgeMental - 2014-03-24 5:35 PM

incredible......and to think I just rejoined! Take it up with them..I find writing to the top initiates a better response then some crypto fascist a$$ wipe in green *-)

Eddie, see my and Martyn's posts above (he beat me to it!), I think you are being rather unfair here! :-|

... and why on earth have you joined ... I thought you would never be seen dead on one of their sites!!! *-)

Guest JudgeMental
I cant travel for a while due to a serious health issue, and wanted to do something over easter where I can get home easily if need be. plus at least we can go away weekends and wife can come down and join me friday straight from work..thats if you can get on a site without booking a year in advance at a weekend! :-S

Roland, I'll give you credit for not taking your frustration out on the wardens. So many people do.

We are a heavily populated country with enough red tape. I wonder if the CC's approach reflects planning constraints or the Fire Brigade's current preoccupation with the way we park on site.

Whatever the reason, the CC has been consistent in not allowing temporary use of facilities.

You must be quite a charmer to get away with it!

Mel B - 2014-03-24 5:58 PM

I'm afraid Roland you were being rather cheeky to expect to be able to use the 'facility' without paying for it! 8-)

I must admit that if there is a rule, regardless of whether they are happy to enforce it or not, it should be abided by however you seem to have been 'lucky' to find someone who was willing to break it. However, how would you feel if you were one of the members on the site with a motorhome who had paid the full fee to be 'resident' for the night because they needed the services but saw a 'non-resident' using the facilities free ... you'd then be complaining about that.

It doesn't mean that I agree with their being no 'service only' price for those of us who wild camp but there isn't one for the CC and never has been. If they did do one though I think it would certainly prove popular as would their having a more basic stopping facility as well, such as a MH specific parking area, for those who just want to stop en-route to somewhere and don't need a pitch. Of course, though you could simply have looked out for a CL in the area and used that for a night which would probably have only cost you £5 or thereabouts anyway! :D

Mel, there are a couple of long running threads on the CC forum Club Together (CT) where various proposals have been put forward to make use of, say, early/late arrivals areas to make a few stopover points, providing water and dump facilities rather like an aire within the CC site (a common form of aire in France which exists han in hand with the 'owning' campsite).

Well, youd think that someone had suggested injecting every member with anthrax, or similar, judging by the reaction of many........im afraid the concept of stopovers or dumping at sites seems to remain ....'foreign'. ;-)

Just a point, I expected to be charged something, I wasn't expecting to be allowed to empty the cassette for nothing, it was the "no" that concerned me. As for the Mountain Rescue donation I was quite happy to contribute to the very worthwhile cause. As a Caravan Club member I thought that it wouldn't be a problem but obviously I was very wrong. I have to give credit to the lady warden of which I had the utmost respect, at least the situation was resolved and we went on our way. In future I'll be carrying my manhole lifters with me.

fred22 - 2014-03-24 7:22 PM

Hi

"rolandrat"

W

hat was the Caravan Club's response to your enquiry?

I haven't contacted them as yet, I need a contact name who has a little clout. If they don't or won't allow CC members to empty cassettes other than paying site residents then ok I wont call again. At least I will be aware of the rule and go elsewhere.

fred22 - 2014-03-24 7:22 PM

Hi

"rolandrat"

W

hat was the Caravan Club's response to your enquiry?

I haven't contacted them as yet, I need a contact name who has a little clout. If they don't or won't allow CC members to empty cassettes other than paying site residents then ok I wont call again. At least I will be aware of the rule and go elsewhere.

What I found amusing some time ago was when a farmer had a dispute with the local council he rolled up with a slurry tank full of s--t, pressured up and let it spray all over the front of the town hall. He certainly made his point. Not that I would do the same. Or would I!

What I found amusing some time ago was when a farmer had a dispute with the local council he rolled up with a slurry tank full of s--t, pressured up and let it spray all over the front of the town hall. He certainly made his point. Not that I would do the same. Or would I!

Rayjsj - 2014-03-24 6:00 PM

mi Lord,

Yes but these 'Tom,Dick or Harry's' would all be 'paid up' members, and would have contributed an extra (£5 ?) for the privelege. So, why not ? Ray

And leave an extra Pitch 'Free' for some other member.

Sorry Ray but being a member means you respect and abide by the rules.

If you are of the nature of thinking along the lines of 'what harm can it do' then the CC is definitely not for you.

It's regimented, simple as that.

Being 'paid up' is part of that regimentation.

Martyn

I really do not see the problem of allowing paid up members of either club to use dumping facilities for, say, £5.

Extra income for the clubs, probably no extra hassle. For example, lets say this policy saw 5 additional dumps on every club site every day of the season - almost certainly a huge overestimate. Paid up members not likely to abuse the facilities, members actually staying on the site unaffected - unless they are unlucky enough to be number 6 behind the 5 wild campers, all club members, who have all turned up at the same time to empty cassettes. (BTW, God forbid all the 5 are Soggers, what a stench. :-D )

Archived