Caravan Club. At it again.

rolandrat

Eddy - 2014-03-24 10:24 PM

....would we need to be members for example to book into a hotel for the night, it's outdated nonsense, run on an outmoded model AFAIC

...but there again, I also I doubt you'd get very far by turning up at a hotel reception, expecting to gain access to their loo and showers! ( "..but I'll give you a couple of quid, so what's the problem?!..") (lol)

A "service stop" facility would of cause be a good idea(in principle)but as the CC(Caravan Club) doesn't (and never has?) operated such a scheme it seems somewhat pointless being upset when a request is declined...

(..at this rate, people will be complaining that a "club"(although not really sure which), once charged 'em a couple 'o quid more for the Calor refill next... ;-) )

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Eddy - 2014-03-25 9:11 AM

Silly me, there I was thinking the benefits of a club "membership" of any kind would have some direct benefits for its members, like a much cheaper pint you can get in a workings mans club that one is a "member" of, not prices that outstrip a West End bar !

Carry on defending the indefensible pal, because if ripping of the members is the business pattern, it's a rotten one, and there is simply NO reason to deny the bloke, or me, or any "member" ( there's that word again ) from emptying a cassette.

[/

QUOTE] Thanks for that Eddy.

LordThornber - 2014-03-24 5:54 PM

We've been members of the CC for 15 years, as far as I'm aware the Club does not and never has offered this facility.

I'm aware that the CCC does though.

I strongly suspect this subject may have some serious mileage in it. I certainly don't want to be sharing expensive club facilities with any tom dick or harry dumping their waste, toilet emptying, nipping into the shower and or toilet block either.

Particularly when they've not paid site night fees.

Membership doesn't grant us rights to come and go on the sites and use facilities as and when we choose does it?

I hear the common sense argument, but rules are rules, the warden in my view, stuck her neck on the line and left herself open to complaints.

Martyn.

Martyn, I wasn't aware otherwise I wouldn't have called, if I encounter a problem again I'll approach it in a different way.

I like the caravan club and pay my membership fee quite happily and use their sites when there is an appropriate one.If I didn't I wouldn't join and wouldn't use their sites, simples.Its quite possible to camp in the UK without going near the caravan club.Think that some people just love a rant.

Guest Had Enough

Chris I think once we grasp the concept that these clubs do not exist for the benefits of the members, the less some will be disappointed with their intransigence. (and members of what exactly) would we need to be members for example to book into a hotel for the night, it's outdated nonsense, run on an outmoded model AFAIC

I confess to being puzzled by your comments. The CC provides the following services: A large number of very high quality sites, many of which are only available for members and, on sites where non-members are allowed, members have a lower price; hundreds of CLs, which are only available to members; local centres which have rallies and other social activities, ferry booking services which have saved me money, insurance, which again I have found to be competitive; a monthly magazine, which always has at least one or two things that I find interesting; European site books which I find invaluable and of course the membership fee includes a UK site book listing thousands of sites.

There is also free technical and legal advice on offer should I ever need it. I have never been offered any of the above-mentioned services from any hotels that I've used.

So, if these services are not provided for the benefit of members, perhaps you can enlighten us to to who you think they are provided for?

Guest Had Enough

I find it very strange that some people can't grasp what the Caravan Club is. It's a club whose aim is to provide campsites, both traditional and CLs for its members. It also provides a plethora of other services for its members, as I've outlined above.

It doesn't exist to promote wild camping, or a system of aires, just as Tesco doesn't exist to encourage people to grow their own food and thus put itself out of business.

Some people on here feel that members should be allowed to empty their cassettes free of charge despite not having paid a site fee. Can't they work out what would happen? Every wild camper in Britain would happily pay forty quid a year to join the CC so that they could nip into a site and empty their cassette and whilst there, why not be allowed to top up with water and have a quick shower, after all, that doesn't cost much does it?

I do agree that the CC ought to consider a fee, as the C&CC does, for members who want to top up with water and empty their cassettes. But does the C&CC actually get many people doing this? My experience of many wild campers is that they would baulk at paying five pounds for a service that they can provide themselves with a bit of brain power.

Here's what you do. Use biologically sound toilet fluid or a SOG, buy a spade and nip into the nearest wood and dig a nice big hole, dump your cassette contents in that, fill up with soil, tidy up and leave it as you found it. I mix wild camping with sites and, when in Europe, aires, and I've done this on a few occasions without difficulty, mainly in the wilds, such as the Scottish Highlands.

I will be happy to suggest to the CC that they, like the C&CC, offer this service to members, but it must be paid for to discourage those who will, inevitably, join the club purely to use its sanitary facilities whilst they wild camp.

To think that, just because you are a Club member you have the right to go to a Club site to empty the contents of your loo, is I consider a selfish attitude. A Club is for members to take an active part in it by using their sites or their network of CS/CL’s otherwise why bother to join a Club in the first place ?.

If you want to wild camp you should consider how you are going cope with the waste products that you make, i.e. the loo, waste water, general waste etc. The proper answer is to take it all home with you and empty the waste systems at home as we have done in the past – if you cannot do that, then don’t consider wild camping.

Unfortunately the UK is not geared up for wild camping and to continue to do it will only exacerbate the situation of motorhome owners not being able to park anywhere during the day time when visiting areas even when stopping overnight on proper sites.

AlanS - 2014-03-25 11:42 AM

To think that, just because you are a Club member you have the right to go to a Club site to empty the contents of your loo, is I consider a selfish attitude. A Club is for members to take an active part in it by using their sites or their network of CS/CL’s otherwise why bother to join a Club in the first place ?.

If you want to wild camp you should consider how you are going cope with the waste products that you make, i.e. the loo, waste water, general waste etc. The proper answer is to take it all home with you and empty the waste systems at home as we have done in the past – if you cannot do that, then don’t consider wild camping.

Unfortunately the UK is not geared up for wild camping and to continue to do it will only exacerbate the situation of motorhome owners not being able to park anywhere during the day time when visiting areas even when stopping overnight on proper sites.

So you think I have a selfish attitude.

I'm a member of the Caravan Club, Caravan and Camping Club, Motor Caravanners Club, Wild Camping Club and the Free Motorhoming Club. I'm no longer a member of the Auto-Trail Owners Club having got rid of the biggest load of crap I have ever owned, correction 3 Auto-trails. 2 brand new. Just because we like to Wild camp occasionally doesn't mean that we don't respect the countryside or other like minded motorhome owners. I've no time whatsoever for stuck up pompous self righteous a---h---s.

But be fair roland'...you knew what you were doing when you started a thread titled:

"Caravan Club.At it again"

and then opened it with the line:

"this last weekend we were at a get together with our Wildcamping and Free Motorhoming friends..."

..it was hardly likely to pass without "incident" now, was it... ;-)

pepe63 - 2014-03-25 2:26 PM

But be fair roland'...you knew what you were doing when you started a thread titled:

"Caravan Club.At it again"

and then opened it with the line:

"this last weekend we were at a get together with our Wildcamping and Free Motorhoming friends..."

..it was hardly likely to pass without "incident" now, was it... ;-)

Your right, I ought to know better but at the end of the day I didn't set out to go to the CC site in the first place, I went to the cattle market where there is a dedicated area to dump the cassette contents only on arrival it was unusually closed.. I do carry a full set of manhole lifters so I could have disposed of the contents if all else had failed but because I'm a long standing member of the CC I thought they would allow me to use their emptying point. I must admit, I wasn't aware that it was against the rules, (is there a rule)? so until I hear to the contrary I'll give them a miss.

We are CC members even though many times we cant get on the site we would prefer because the are booked solid :-S never the less I would be very annoyed when leaving a site if we had to que to empty behind a lot of vans that had been wild camping and just came in to empty wether it is the toilet or grey water !! even if they had paid £5 for the privelage ! we could all wild camp and save over £20 a night.

Pepe does have a point, not wanting to be argumentative but one could if one wanted to state that wild camping is not really wild if you have to nip onto a site for either water, emptying or whatever, (Not aimed specifically at you as you were forced into it because the usual place was shut, just a general comment) we went wild quite a few times but it was easy for us as we just drove onto our site when we got home and emptyed the waste and toilet. Seems to me that very few can actually truly go wild due to certain restraints and logistics. I could at this stage do a full marketing hit and say that you can legally go wild but have emptying points and a water tap available you will have to fend for yourself on many locations as no electric and many of these locations are even on grass, there called CL / CS this legal semi wild experience can be had for as little as £5 per night.

just saying.

You'd think that it could be implementable(is that a word?),even if they perhaps limited the number of "service stops" per year(so as to negate folk just using their membership purely for the dumping of waste..).

But as the C&CC charge over 7 quid for 3 hours, for their "stops", I wonder how many would actually use them..?

http://campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/ukcampsites/clubsites/motorhomeservicepoints/

(..you may as well factor in a full night on a 'site/CL/CS for that money...).

..and it doesn't appear to be available on all of their sites anyhow...? :-S

ips - 2014-03-25 3:31 PM

Aires are of course comparable to the concept of CL in a round about way or at least as close as your likely to get in blighty as in legal semi wild

The idea that staying ' off-site ' in a motorhome with all its' mod-cons is " wild " camping, is an insult to backpackers.

:-D

malc d - 2014-03-25 3:41 PM

ips - 2014-03-25 3:31 PM

Aires are of course comparable to the concept of CL in a round about way or at least as close as your likely to get in blighty as in legal semi wild

The idea that staying ' off-site ' in a motorhome with all its' mod-cons is " wild " camping, is an insult to backpackers.

:-D

(lol) ..

"..we had a dreadful weekend "wildcamping"....the television signal was absolutely atrocious...and when we finally decided to turn in for the night, after drinking a bottle of wine(chilled from the fridge of cause), the drone from our blown air heating kept us awake..." (lol)

Had Enough - 2014-03-25 11:38 AM

Some people on here feel that members should be allowed to empty their cassettes free of charge despite not having paid a site fee. Can't they work out what would happen? Every wild camper in Britain would happily pay forty quid a year to join the CC so that they could nip into a site and empty their cassette and whilst there, why not be allowed to top up with water and have a quick shower, after all, that doesn't cost much does it?

I do agree that the CC ought to consider a fee, as the C&CC does, for members who want to top up with water and empty their cassettes. But does the C&CC actually get many people doing this? My experience of many wild campers is that they would baulk at paying five pounds for a service that they can provide themselves with a bit of brain power.

Frank, either wild campers would happily pay (1st para) or they would baulk at paying (2nd para).......you cant have it both in the same posting :-)

Ps do you use the CC forum CT? If so, whats your handle?

Guest pelmetman
Eddy - 2014-03-25 9:22 AM

pepe63 - 2014-03-25 9:18 AM

(lol) "..pal.." (lol)

So you've finally decided to break cover then 1foot' ?.... ;-)

I have no idea what you mean. (!) Pal ;-)

Its what he feeds his dog Pepe :D................

Guest pelmetman
Had Enough - 2014-03-25 11:23 AM

Chris I think once we grasp the concept that these clubs do not exist for the benefits of the members, the less some will be disappointed with their intransigence. (and members of what exactly) would we need to be members for example to book into a hotel for the night, it's outdated nonsense, run on an outmoded model AFAIC

I confess to being puzzled by your comments. The CC provides the following services: A large number of very high quality sites, many of which are only available for members and, on sites where non-members are allowed, members have a lower price; hundreds of CLs, which are only available to members; local centres which have rallies and other social activities, ferry booking services which have saved me money, insurance, which again I have found to be competitive; a monthly magazine, which always has at least one or two things that I find interesting; European site books which I find invaluable and of course the membership fee includes a UK site book listing thousands of sites.

There is also free technical and legal advice on offer should I ever need it. I have never been offered any of the above-mentioned services from any hotels that I've used.

So, if these services are not provided for the benefit of members, perhaps you can enlighten us to to who you think they are provided for?

Tuggers Frank ;-)....................I wondered how long it would be before you popped up on this thread :D..........

Have they offered you a place on the board yet?..............Your clearly of the right sort :D.........

Eddy - 2014-03-25 5:34 PM

Adressed to the poster above but one, HE

Point one is any member asking to dump for free as a general starting point, I don't think so.

Point two, just who are all these hoards of wild campers that have not discovered the CCC facility, and yet if the CC did it, would arrive in droves.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do firmly believe though that some in the CC consider themselves a cut above, and doubt that many of them have ever used a cassette toilet system, never mind emptied one, perhaps that's what they find so shocking that anyone would need to do such a thing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Couldn't agree more.

Eddy - 2014-03-25 5:34 PM

I do firmly believe though that some in the CC consider themselves a cut above, and doubt that many of them have ever used a cassette toilet system, never mind emptied one, perhaps that's what they find so shocking that anyone would need to do such a thing.

I get my butler to empty mine.

As far as I see the drift of this thread the membership of the CC provides access to the CC range of sites Membership of the CC seems to offer some sort of cachet to the member this is sooooooooooooo Bulldog British, who would join a club in order to restrict themselves to one series of sites on one small Island. I applaud The C&CC for offering a touring service, not just to touring campers but also to day trippers who may not be able to empty at home.
 Comparisons to hotels are valid, If I buy a drink at the bar, & use the toilet they do not expect me to spend the night.

Archived