Polish

lazarus

Best type of wax polish for motorhomes and caravans are marine type. Meguiars, Autoglym and Farecla , a bit pricey but you get what you pay for when it comes to waxes. If your van is looking very dull it may be that the surface has oxidised and will need a bit more than a coat of wax.

If your motorhome is fibreglass you do need a good marine polish. We use Starbright, expensive but generally held to be one of the best. We polish ours once in the Spring before the season starts and once in the Autum when it finishes. I between we wash is using their wash and wax. Our Auto-Trail positively gleams.

If you say yours has gone dull then sadly the outer layer of the gel coat has oxidised. Bad news for you this is as it will mean using a cleaner before applying a polish to remove the bloom. It's ruddy hard work to do by hand so you may want to consider having this done professionly at a boat yard. Once it's done regular polishing will prevent it happening again.

Coincidentally I've been polishing our Nuevo these last few days.

I use Meguiars RV / Marine Clean Wax Polish which I find gives a good longish-lasting finish.

However, the off-side wall of the 'van seems to oxidise much worse than anywhere else.

The cleaning cloth ends up white when cleaning that side and the finish is never as clean and shiny.

That side of the 'van is usually parked facing east and doesn't get an excessive amount of sun or even bad weather on it.

I'm thinking of giving it an extra coat of an RV / Marine wax polish to try and protect it a bit better.

Any ideas folks??

fjmike - 2014-03-24 7:58 PM

tonyishuk - 2014-03-24 7:50 PM

Mer and a final polish with elbow grease

Rgds

lazurus has stated that he has already tried Mer and wasn't impressed this is probably due to the oxidation

I really must read what people write *-)

I have no problems with Mer on my Rapido which I think is a GRP/gel based skin. But you do have to make sure that Mer dries properly, if you get it wet or a damp surface, it does take a time to remove the haze let behind.

I use Autoglym 150g High Definition Wax on the VW car, Seems to last forever, but hard work on a m/home.

Rgds

Archived