New motor home owner

dreamcatcher

Hello. We are the proud owners of an Apache 640SE which sadly I managed to break on it's first outing. That however is a tale for the long winter evenings when the current husband starts speaking to me again (lol) My question is regarding A Frames and the current legal situation. We are looking to tow an old style mini and were considering the A frame but have been told that they will soon be illegal. Any views/information please ?

Hi Dreamcatcher and welcome to the wonderful world of motorhoming. "A" frame legallity, now there's a thorny subject. Personally I beleive they are illegal anyway as a car with A frame atteched fails to meet so many of the criteria for being a trailer (cars on tow with A frames are classed as a trailer). My recomendation would be quite simply if you do need to tow a car then do so with a proper trailer under it. We don't tow a car as we don't need one. Once on site we can visit the local area using public transport, walking, cycling or perhaps even a taxi. If all else fails we can be ready to roll in our motorhome within 15 minutes at the outside. I understand that not everyone shares my views on this and I think that no method is "right or wrong" (well with the exception of A frame legallity), what's right for us is not right for others. D.

O I gave it a clout alright ! I still don't understand how that lamp-post moved :-D Thanks for your views. We do have a trailer to put the two motor bikes on and of course we have the cyles. It was just a thought for when we are away in the colder weather. The Forum is very interesting and entertaining reading.

Archived