What does a habitation check entail ?

Adiebt

lennyhb - 2014-03-24 11:41 PM

Not a lot , paying someone loads of money to do very little, they just check everything is working don't even service the fridge unless you pay extra.

Not entirely true Lenny, I service the fridge where it is possible in situ as a standard part of my hab inspection. I also do a full damp check, check the 12 volt electrics, health check the leisure batteries, check the 230volt electrics and do a full flue gas analysis on all gas appliances as well as a room CO check. And for all that I only charge a paltry £135 inc VAT.

D.

I have a PVC with diesel heating a compressor fridge and no oven. On going through the "standard" habitation checklist only about 40% of the service operations are relevant but no dealer seems to offer a "bespoke" service. I expect Dave Newell would but unfortunately that would be a 750 mile journey !!

Dave Newell - 2014-03-25 6:36 AM

Not a lot , paying someone loads of money to do very little, they just check everything is working don't even service the fridge unless you pay extra.

Not entirely true Lenny, I service the fridge where it is possible in situ as a standard part of my hab inspection. I also do a full damp check, check the 12 volt electrics, health check the leisure batteries, check the 230volt electrics and do a full flue gas analysis on all gas appliances as well as a room CO check. And for all that I only charge a paltry £135 inc VAT.

D.

I can confirm that the chap that does our habitation check - Paul Bridle -

http://www.pbcaravanservices.co.uk

does exactly what you list Dave and for a similar fee. And such checks are VERY worthwhile - Paul picked up several issues over the years we have known him such that simple remedial action at low cost (not carried out by Paul) enabled us to "nip in he bud" several potentially very serious issues.

When we came to sell our c'vans - having that service history made all the difference as well.

Personally I would not buy a MH or C'van without a history of such checks.

D.

I was referring to your average Motorhome dealer, not an engineer like you Dave who takes pride in his work and likes to see his customers returning. Nowdays days small and family run firms that offer a good service at relistic rates are getting harder to Find.

From all the comments I've seen about you Dave I think you must be way above average.

Problem for a lot of people is they have to take their van back to the dealer they brought from for a habitation service just to maintain the warranty, glad I'm buying another Hymer they only require an annual damp check habitation service not required to maintain the warranty.

Hi

In short they check:-

Gas Systems

240 volt systems

12 volt systems

Habitation Diesel systems

Water systems

Damp check

Gas Soundness check with a printed certificate

Auxiliary battery

And general

Door operations

Alarms

Fire extinguisher date

Window stays

Habitation air con

Exterior seals

Door step, lube

Roof vents

Floor de lamination

Road lights

Guess what we had done yesterday (lol) (lol) (lol) (^)

lennyhb - 2014-03-25 10:57 AMNothing anyone with a bit of common can't do themselves. (lol)

Quite correct if you have a quality damp tester etc.  However I very much doubt any manufacturer would 'honour' a warranty claim in the case of a claim being made, assuming of course that the subject vehicle is still in the warranty period.

lennyhb - 2014-03-25 8:37 AM

D.

I was referring to your average Motorhome dealer, not an engineer like you Dave who takes pride in his work and likes to see his customers returning. Nowdays days small and family run firms that offer a good service at relistic rates are getting harder to Find.

From all the comments I've seen about you Dave I think you must be way above average.

Problem for a lot of people is they have to take their van back to the dealer they brought from for a habitation service just to maintain the warranty, glad I'm buying another Hymer they only require an annual damp check habitation service not required to maintain the warranty.

Thanks for the kind words Lenny, just one small point though, I don't consider myself an engineer. I don't have the qualifications to claim that title. I'm a mechanic by trade but I've covered a variety of trades in my working life.

D.

Last week I paid £150 for my local mobile engineer to do a full check/service.

Fully comprehensive as per Dave Newell above.

Included new tail and gas regulator.

Spot of very slight damp in one corner so removed and resealed a piece of external trim.

Super value :-D

EJB - 2014-03-25 4:53 PM

Last week I paid £150 for my local mobile engineer to do a full check/service.

Fully comprehensive as per Dave Newell above.

Included new tail and gas regulator.

Spot of very slight damp in one corner so removed and resealed a piece of external trim.

Super value :-D

A and E Leisure Northwich doing mine , always excellent service :-D

Archived