Magellan Roadmate 800 GPS, Anygood?

Ian0354

Hi All, I just got home to find an email from a company offering the Magellan Roadmate 800 GPS for sale at just £199.99. Unfortunately I was too late to get there while they held stock but they tell me there is more on its way, I hope! I have been looking into buying a hand held GPS for sometime - I have Navigator 4 on my laptop but I want a hand held for convenience - is this the one I want? This unit has full UK & European mapping. These units seem to sell around £250 and upwards (Someone is asking £335 on Ebay Buy It Now!) so this looks like a great deal, but is it? I'm unsure. I have read reviews of earlier units by this manufacturer but I can't find much about the Roadmate 800. Can anyone help me with this, Please? Thanks. Happy travels, Ian

I think you've answered your own question. The big sellers are TomTom and Garmin. TomTom uses the same mapping as Navigator4 but has much better route finding software - and it doesn't keep telling you imperiously 'You are lost!' whenever you take a different turn to the one suggested - it just gets on and recalculates the route. I've used both. But sorry, no direct experience of the Magellan - I suggest you check which mapping it has.

Mel, Thanks for your help. As it happens I did some more homework and made soem phone calls. Dabs emailed me to say that they won't be getting any more stock so this prompted a search. I wasn't really looking to buy now but one deal came up that I couldn't resist. Navman ICN550 for £206! It got rave revues at £495! So I will have an easy to use GPS for the trip tp Germany next week, along with Navigator 4 for research. Thanks again, Ian Edited for spelling, Ian

Guest starspirit
My Navman icn510 works well and is accurate but downloading European maps can be a pain in the bum and Navman's so called phone helpline is always busy. Nevertheless they do seem to be able to solve most problems on the phone (normal daytime rate). Their online email help is even worse as it can take over a week just to get a reply.

Hi Ian, Have a look at the Mio 269+ on site http://www.thenavigationcompany.com/products/TN0058_Mio_269_%2B.html?gclid=CI7_ucmKl4cCFQpFMAod_ESuqg Was good value at £356 (RRP £399) now selling at £195 (damn it!!) I was a map and eyeball man - but am over the moon with the GPS and http://www.campingcar-infos.com/index1.htm Takes me right to new sites every time using the Long/Lat coordinates given with the campingcar information web, which is available on DVD. The Mio has a pedistrian mode which is like an A-Z for every town in europe. I can't recommend it highly enough. If you are walking on the moors, sailing or flying yourself, its compass 'bee line' mode allows you to navigate without land marks too. The Mio 269+ has all europe to street level mapping on an internal 2.5Gb drive (seamless travel between countries), internal battery will last 4hrs with display constantly switched on, standby mode two weeks, if you are on a long hike, cycling, seacrossing or flying switching on just to check your bearings will allow the battery to last a good few days. Regards Terry

Thanks guys for your comments. The Navman 550 has arrived and, as far as I can tell, am very happy with the choice I made, although now I have a problem with loading some POIs using PoiEdit on the laptop. Terry, The Navman 550 appears to be even better value than even the new price for the Mio 269+ at £195 as that is +VAT making £ 229.99 inc. Navman was £206 even including the postage! It doesn't seem to be losing out on any features either. Well chuffed! Happy travels, Ian.

Nice one Ian, I haven't loaded any externally sourced POI's on my Mio 269+ yet, I did wonder whether the screen refresh rate would slow down with loads of extra information to display. I have been using the MS Autoroute for some years and this really does slow down when it has to display all the aires and campsites. It might be worth you making a note of a basic speed set up, loading a few POI's and testing the display speed again. I would be interested in what you find. Regards Terry

Archived