Dampness In Rear Locker Door Frames Of Autotrail Frontier Models.

Frank McAuley

May I suggest that owners of Autotrail Frontier models check the door frames of their rear locker doors for signs of dampness!

It would be interesting to have feedback either positive or negative. I would also suggest that the use of a damp meter by a suitably trained technician would be ideal as the location of the dampness is difficult to detect! :-S

Frank McAuley - 2014-03-27 10:13 AM

May I suggest that owners of Autotrail Frontier models check the door frames of their rear locker doors for signs of dampness!

It would be interesting to have feedback either positive or negative. I would also suggest that the use of a damp meter by a suitably trained technician would be ideal as the location of the dampness is difficult to detect! :-S

Can you expand on this - what year / years are you talking about, why just the Frontier as the Apache range has lockers too. Also have you had the gas storage locker checked as well ? As ours is a Navajo we don't have a rear locker, only for the toilet cassette. I presume you mean the large storage lockers, i.e. 'garage' on the other models ?

Good Morning Alan

Apologies I can only speak of the FRONTIER and in particular 2011 (May) models. The rear or garage door wooden frames (internal) are the areas I refer to; the rest of the "doors" and windows did not indicate the presence of damp.

I had noticed these doors were not closing as "easily" as previously but had never considered damp . The motorhome is stored in a garage and not really used outside the "season" hence the surprise!

I had noted several references to dampness around new Autotrail windows in this most useful site hence my request for a dedicated dampness test within the warranty period. :-S

Thanks Frank

There have been some reports before of dampness on lockers and some rectification mods such as putting a drip channel over the door, similar to the one we have over the gas locker cabinet I believe.

Hope all put right for you ASAP.

I've owned 3 Auto-trails, 1 second hand an 03 reg Merc 634,1 brand new 3ltr Tracker 09 reg and a 634 Apache 11 reg. The new ones were sponges on wheels, would I ever have another Auto-trail, yes pre X250 when they were built well. The last one suffered with rear wheel wheel arch area water ingress and rear locker door water ingress and severe damp. It had a major strip down at the factory and was told that it had been put right but a year down the road it reared its ugly head again. The excuses that I got from the factory were a complete and utter joke. The window seals had to be changed because they were letting in water and the Heki had to be modified because that was also letting in water. I did over 6000 miles going backwards and forwards to the factory.

We have an 11 plate apachie 632 and there are no signs of damp anywhere. It past the dealers check with flying colours and following your post I've now checked the rear garage doors and for that matter all the other locker doors and find no problems. For the record our previous motorhome was a Rapido and that remained free from damp during the five years we had it.

In the winter we do leave all the locker doors open and have a dehumidifier running for four hours each day.

We did have damp on some upholstery but that was due to me leaving a sliding window above it open. Won't tell you what the wife said but she was certainly not impressed!

AlanS - 2014-03-27 11:28 AM

Thanks Frank

There have been some reports before of dampness on lockers and some rectification mods such as putting a drip channel over the door, similar to the one we have over the gas locker cabinet I believe.

Hope all put right for you ASAP.

What a bodge, so instead of fixing the problem they are going to deflect water away from the area that leaks. Really don't understand how British manufacturers are still in businesses.

I recall reading somewhere, possibly MMM, "The motorhome without a leak doesn't exist!" Perhaps this is the best way to look at a motorhome and be ever vigilant to detect such an occurrence and repair it!

I have now accepted that there is no such thing as the perfect motorhome although after experiencing Autosleeper and currently Autotrail I have this strange attraction to German engineering BUT I wonder is it really any better? :-|

Archived