seat belt exemptions

Poppy

My husband has recently has open heart surgery and is entitled to a seat exemption certificate for up to 6 months.Obviously he will resume using one as soon as he feels able.Question is How do you stop the wretched thing blleping at us and telling us its not being used when someone is sitting on the seat.I have thought about fastening it and then OH sitting on top? Would this work? Anyone any experience of this? Oh and would the exemtion still be legal in France.?

For over a year after major surgery my son had a 15cm open wound on his abdomen. He couldn't drive but when he was with me he always wore a belt with some padding. His argument was that in the event of an accident some pain there would be a lot better than what might happen if he wasn't wearing a belt.

Poppy,

Can the belt strap be looped behind the person or maybe around the back of the seat, another ploy is to find part of an old belt using the metal connector only.

The sensor would be in the metal socket, if he's on his own then use the passenger connector.

I don't know how the sensor is positioned but a piece of thick plastic card may activate it,

There is usually a multi pin connector socket under the seat, disconnect it.

Or do a google search sometimes there is a cunning trick for instance on my Ford Kuga you had to turn ignition on and connect - disconnect the seat belt 12 times within a given time this deactivated the whole sensor thing.

Helo Poppy I had surgery last year and the seatbelt was a problem my solution was to fasten the seatbelt then pass my arm and shoulder through the upper part of the belt this then gives some protection around the mid drift with no preasure on the chest it worked for me.

Regards Dave

The concept of having an exemption has always seemed very strange to me. Surely in the event of an accident the injuries that would be received from hitting hard bits of the vehicle would be much worse than any the seat belt would cause.

If wearing a belt causes discomfort directly on a wound perhaps there might be a case but even then I would try very hard to pad up rather than travel unrestrained.

as George above, dont under stand exemptions, would advise not to do it, but if you feel you must... a pillar beneath the cross over strap or something similar, might look stupid but better than going thro windscreen surely 8-) and also and i have no knowledge of this, but because in a van and elevated its engine is closer to you than a car, crumple zones etc i would wear a seat belt, just my opinion :-) but there again i've not had open heart surgery so its up to your hubby what ever he's comfortable with.

and all the best and hope he get's well very soon, soory have no experience in France regards exemptions

jon

silverback - 2014-03-27 11:17 PM

as George above, dont under stand exemptions, would advise not to do it, but if you feel you must... a pillar beneath the cross over strap or something similar, might look stupid but better than going thro windscreen surely 8-) and also and i have no knowledge of this, but because in a van and elevated its engine is closer to you than a car, crumple zones etc i would wear a seat belt, just my opinion :-) but there again i've not had open heart surgery so its up to your hubby what ever he's comfortable with.

and all the best and hope he get's well very soon, soory have no experience in France regards exemptions

jon

Would not want a "PILLAR" across my chest. Maybe a "Pillow"

I would try and see if you can get any info on the situation in France,

PJay

PJay - 2014-03-28 9:15 AM

silverback - 2014-03-27 11:17 PM

jon

Would not want a "PILLAR" across my chest. Maybe a "Pillow"

I would try and see if you can get any info on the situation in France,

PJay

LOL :D (lol) unfortunately the yorkshire came out in me after a few beers!! *-) (lol)

jon

Who would drive in France? I ask because if the van is RHD and you are driving he is very much in the "hot" seat in the event of an accident. If you van doesn't have a passenger airbag, and many don't, this places him in the most dangerous perch in your van. It seems, from what you say, that the reason he wishes to take advantage of this exemption relates to comfort, rather than being a firm instruction not to ride in a road vehicle while wearing a seatbelt. I think you need to try to find out what are the possible consequences for him were you to have an accident with him wearing a seat belt versus the consequences were he not wearing one. The latter is fairly stark and easily answered, the latter probably needs some guidance from his surgeon.

Have you expolred health insurance under these circumstances, as I would suspect your insurer might not consider you covered especially if he was not wearing a belt?

Archived