Augusta or savannah

Carolmonkey

Not owned an Augusta, But did own an Autocruise CH , Starlet 2 (2005), and now own an Autotrail Savannah, Autocruise had an Inboard Fresh water tank, and was very well put together, Had a very good Eberspacher Heater.Hot water system, a 'Swing out' Kitchen, I believe that the Augusta had fixed single beds ?

Our Savannah has 2 fixed single beds at the Rear, but they are not particlarly long, we are both 'shorties' so that doesn't bother us. We have had lots of problems with our Truma Combi unit and now do not 'Trust' it to perform when needed. The water tanks Fresh and waste are underslung and insulated, but NOT heated as standard (extra cost). But they are large enough at 120 litres and 80 litres waste. We like the rear garage as it is, because it doesn't make the rear beds too high to get into, No climbing. The Quality of Build (ours was new in 2012) in my opinion is not as good as our 'Autocruise CH' (note NOT Autocruise/Swift !). Sawdust left in cupboards and cheap screw covers that fall off when touched, not what I expected at over £50,000. I have looked at older Autotrail's (2004/6) and they seemed to be better put together than the newer ones. (and Mine !).

For me it was a great Shame when Autocruise CH, went into Administration and Swift took them over,

IF they had continued, I would have probably bought a new Augusta instead of a Savannah.

But I would buy nothing but nothing, that Swift Produced. Ray

Raymond.

The reason the screw covers fall off is because the crew were torqued up too much, a problem Autotrail realised once it was too late.

What I have done is the screws that are on show I have changed for longer ones providing they do not go through a panel. The screws are not tightened so much then the covers stay on. Something that the customer should not have to put right. But then its not the end of the World.

Raymond.

The reason the screw covers fall off is because the crew were torqued up too much, a problem Autotrail realised once it was too late.

What I have done is the screws that are on show I have changed for longer ones providing they do not go through a panel. The screws are not tightened so much then the covers stay on. Something that the customer should not have to put right. But then its not the end of the World.

David Dwight - 2014-03-29 8:09 PM

Raymond.

The reason the screw covers fall off is because the Screws were torqued up too much, a problem Autotrail realised once it was too late.

Agree, not the end of the world, but tatty (I have taken to superglueing them back into place). They don't fall off then. Far better if they had concealed fittings, funny how we didn't notice when seeing the van for the first time ?? Now they grate on me. Now when I look in a van, It's the first thing I look for. *-) Ray

Rayjsi I couldn't agree more we have had three auto trails and the older ones seemed to be made of stronger stuff and had a better finish :we also bought a new one in 2012 and like you say screw covers were always dropping off and bathroom figments dropping off the walls etc: we had two frontier models and an apache I also thought the soft furnishings were not as good a quality as in older models :perhaps they are trying to keep the weight down? Pp:)

Pampam - 2014-03-29 10:19 PM

Rayjsi I couldn't agree more we have had three auto trails and the older ones seemed to be made of stronger stuff and had a better finish :we also bought a new one in 2012 and like you say screw covers were always dropping off and bathroom figments dropping off the walls etc: we had two frontier models and an apache I also thought the soft furnishings were not as good a quality as in older models :perhaps they are trying to keep the weight down? Pp:)

More likely the production costs. ;-) Ray

Here is a link to the Full Review :

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/userfiles/file/MMM%20historic%20road%20tests/live%20in%20Autocruise%20Augusta%20on%203.0-litre%20Peugeot%20Boxer.pdf

Looks a nice van. And tested by the Stotherts whose opinion could be trusted. Enjoy !

Archived