Help please .... flexible tap connector pipe (tail)

laimeduck

The flexible pipe connector to the motorhome kitchen tap has developed a leak.

The tap is an Italian Aravon monobloc tap which I believe has a 3/8th connection. The motorhome is a Benima which is Spanish built. The tap tail that is leaking, has 2 male ends, 3/8th at the tap end, and slightly larger at the connection end. It is the connection end that is leaking, - I have changed the washer but still have a leak.

All the tap tails that I can find on Google are 3/8th male then a female connector at the other end?

I guess it is because the van is Spanish that I am having difficulty fiding a suitable tail. Can anyone please point me in the direction of a suitable supplier of european tap tails for motorhomes? and perhaps tell me what I should ask for?

IPS thanks

The Aravon web site such as it is suggests 3/8 BSP. see picture below Also I have looked at CAK but they don't seem to do them. They are shut weekends - I'll phone them on Monday.

Here is a picture of the offending thing. The male connector (RHS of the pic) is rotating against the crimped collar and that is where it is leaking.

The whole thing is about 9" long

The tap end takes a 11mm spanner, the other end 17mm

If the worst comes to the worst, I'll try the Benimar agents RDH or I'll have to phone Aravon in Italy, but I was rather hoping I may be able to source one over here?

1314160548_taparavon.jpg.8ff1fe40d2ba0000ef1c7bd817c70832.jpg

taptail1.jpg.8517c1d8fd6778f9b5ecbb567001a143.jpg

Jeremy

Southdowns in Portsmouth do mainly continental vans. We have been there to-day to try and get a cupboard catch, for a UK van. and they did not have any, as they are continental vans as previously stated.

PJay

I believe you've got it all arse about face, I think the tap end will be around 10mm the conection end will be 3/8 bsp which is .656" dia. At a guess you need a standard mono block tail plus a 3/8 double ended male brass fitting.

Sorry guys, the leak is not around the thread it is from the gap between the crimped part & the threaded part. These two bits should not rotate, but they are & that's where the water is coming from. No amount of tape or sealant is going to stop that.

Colin - Thanks I think you've got it. (My wife says my face looks like my a***!)

Would this be the connector? Standard compression fitting to a 3/8bsp male.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Compression-15mm-Copper-to-3-8-BSP-MI-Brass-Male-Iron-Thread-Connector-Adapter-/161229237223?pt=UK_DIY_Materials_Plumbing_MJ&var=&hash=item258a02ebe7

laimeduck - 2014-03-30 12:23 AM

Sorry guys, the leak is not around the thread it is from the gap between the crimped part & the threaded part. These two bits should not rotate, but they are & that's where the water is coming from. No amount of tape or sealant is going to stop that.

Colin - Thanks I think you've got it. (My wife says my face looks like my a***!)

Would this be the connector? Standard compression fitting to a 3/8bsp male.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Compression-15mm-Copper-to-3-8-BSP-MI-Brass-Male-Iron-Thread-Connector-Adapter-/161229237223?pt=UK_DIY_Materials_Plumbing_MJ&var=&hash=item258a02ebe7

Well it was late...? :-( :-(

Of course that won't work on its own. But it will with a short length (50mm) of 15mm copper pipe to join the 2 compression fittings on the tail and the adapter :-D :-D

I hate plumbing!

It all sounds easy, but the action is all behind the slide out drawer then up & under behind the sink with the rigid gas pipes & waste pipes in the way. Lie on the floor with legs out of the door, drawer runners poking into shoulder blades, water dripping into eyes ...

I hate plumbing!

The crimped on joint can be repaired. A hydraulic hose place will have the equipment. If not carefully cut the metal crimp off (shorten the hose if you have enough spare) and get a Jubliee or crimp on clip, the clips should be a good fit and the right size, plumbers merchants should have them or a car spares place.

H

You could repair it, or purchase a pair of tails and 1/2"(?) to 3/8" male/make reducer foe about £5 to £10 and have a spare. You would first need to check that it is m10 in tap and what you can get on thee end. I have a pair of similar tails in bathroom of old house which are m10 to 1/2"bsp cost about £3.50 iirc

Have you had a look in at a plumbers merchant. It looks like a standard tap tail. It you take the leaking part in to a decent plumbers merchant, I would have thought would be able to fix you up with a standard flexi and an adapting coupling.

Europe use the screw pipe fittings based on BSP sizes although they may have a different pipe specification as British. I think from memory the main difference is the thread angle is 60 Degrees against the British 55 Degrees

All mended!

The new tails & the 3/8 bsp to compression converter arrived yesterday and with a 50mm length of standard copper pipe the repair was affected yesterday afternoon along the lines outlined - there were no leaks last night!

I used a joint sealing compound Fernox LSX on all the connections and I can thoroughly recommend it. Worth keeping in the toolbox as it can, with care, even mend split pipes. This is it :- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181261739048?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Archived