Walking, Biking and Chilling in France, Advice Please

kevandali

Hi All,

Not been on for a while, need a bit of info/your views, if poss.

I am hoping to drive through France heading south for a week, biking and walking the pooch, and then meet my better half who is going to fly over to spend a fortnight in the van.(First two weeks of August.... I know, not ideal)

We normally head for the coast but are now considering a lakeside holiday inland where we can alternate between bike riding, while towing our doggie charriot, walking, swimming and obviously chilling and wine drinking.

Has anyone been to or know of an area or campsite we can try?

Thanks again for any help as always.

Kevandali :-)

Not got a flight sorted yet as I am trying to get some sort of idea of where I will be eventually heading and then look at flights to that area, as I have a week before she arrives I can meander towards her, pick up then head for the lakes/rivers.

Sorry this is so vague but not much of a clue at the moment, I did suggest the Dordogne (probably spelt wrong) but we covered that area a few years ago and 'er in doors' has deemed that it shall not be re visited this time around.

I have heard the Loire valley is good for cycling, not sure about lakes and rivers?
I will start some research instead of being lazy and trying to take a short cut by relying solely on this forum.

Thanks again in advance.

We also have a dog cart...luckily the missus pulls it with her electric bike.

There are some great dog and bike friendly sites to the west of Bordeaux....have a look at our blog and type in le huga or lucien to the search box...

Also to the northwest, in the medoc....there are some good cycle paths very close to the aire at Soulac-sur-Mer

If you are heading for the Dordogne suggest you take the ferry over the Gironde estuary from Royan, and explore the Medoc/Atlantic coast/Lacanau en route

Just google 'Travels with Mavis' to find the blog.

We have found that France generally has good cycling everywhere so if its August you're going it may be worth looking for areas which are not obvious holiday spots possibly I would look more to the eastern side than the western side as being slightly less busy.

lennyhb - 2014-03-30 11:10 AM

Lake Annecy could be a good choice, not far from Geneva Airport, good cycle path on west side of lake, mountains for walking on the the East side seems to tick all the boxes.

My thought exactly we stayed in Annecy and our son came and stayed for a week . He cam down on the train straight in to Annecy from Paris after using the Euro Star service it was easy and cheap for him.

Annecy is fantastic for cycling (around the lake) and walking (Mountains and forest). Your best sites are on the west side of the lake we stopped at Servier at Camping Coeur de Lac. Been twice and loved it.

http://en.lac-annecy.com/accommodation-and-restaurants/campsites/camping-au-coeur-du-lac.html

Latest thoughts...... The last time we went to the Dordogne, we went in August and got a pitch on a small campsite only a few minutes walk from the river. So it has now been decreed that we shall do something similar in the Sarlot, Beynac area.

However..... I feel we should book if poss, so any ideas for a small campsite in this area, not bothered about a pool and entertainment but would like electric hook up.

Ideal site would be next to the river and a cycle path?

Thanks again for any help received.

Kevandali

Archived