Advice: Annecy & Verdon Gorge late April

sean.clarke

Hi,

looking fro some advice from the seasoned travellers.... (finally) looking at getting away late April and fancy a jaunt around Annecy and Verdon Gorge. We only have just over a week so I'd like to get there quickly, meander around a bit, then poweron back.

I have a couple of questions if I may, bear n mind I have a 8.75m tag MH and cruise at 60mph not a go anywhere without a care PVC....

1. For Calais to Anneccy the route planner suggest going through Belgium, Luxembourg, Metz, Nancy, Vesoul then around Geneva (that sounds good) - I have seen similar routes posted.... is this really quicker, easier and better than a more direct route of Laon, Reims, Chaumont?

2. I've done some searches for previous posts on the Verdon Gorge and have a mixed bag of responses regarding how easy/difficult it is in a large motorrhome - ranging from the "no problem" to the "we almost went off the edge and turned back". I know coaches etc. travel around - need I be worried?

3. Late April/early May - would I need to book any sites or is it usually quiet? I do hope to use some aires, but also might fancy some days on a site (Camping des Gorges du Verdon for example).

4. Current plan is to get to Calais around 20:00 Friday night - not sure whether to spend the night at Citie Europe, or travel a couple of hours and find an aire - any reconsiderations?

I don't mind long drives, it is more of the worry "will I find an aire" and the prospect f wrong turns etc. that concern me more than a long drive.

Any advice and reconsiderations appreciated,

Sean

Well you have picked two of the best places to see in France. However its just too much to do in 1 week. I would say its impossible. If you really are intent in doing both in that period of time then I would recommend the Aire at the bottom end of Annecy at La Thuile which is on a farm bit like a big CL. AT the verdon Gorges you need to be at Trigance on the eastern end to start. Superb little Aire and you need to go around the circular route on the north side of the gorge but do it early morning so as to get a parking place at each pull in.

Go back to Trigance aire and do the other side the next day which will spit you out at Lake Croix which is awsome and a lovely Aire in the village on the other side of the lake but you are going to need more time!

Good luck. I think you might need a chinook.

Actually Barry, it was one of your previous posts that added Lac Saint Croix to the the tale end of the trip :-D

I know it'll be tight, we have 9/10 days in total - leaving Friday afternoon and looking at getting a Monday morning ferry back. If I were in a car I'd just do Calais to Annecy on a run, but as you know the MH is different.

I'll play it by ear - if we want to spend all the time at the Gorge then we will - but presently looking at 2 days in Annecy and 3 days at the Gorge and 2/3 days at Lac Saint Croix (hence the question regarding how busy it is likely to be).

We could use Annecy as a 1 day stopover and add it to the 2 week tour later in the year.

Hi

No, should not need to book, have never booked a site yet in France....you can get to Annecy in a couple of days if using Tolls, but a lot longer if not.. Seems a long way to go in a short time, we are doing a similar trip in May but for 6 weeks...

Good luck

Late April it should be quiet at both locations. You could be lucky with the weather or it could be s**te. Every time I have been to annecy its either been blistering hot ot chucking it down. Never been as early as April.

The gorges of course are 250 miles or so south but are still infulenced by the Alps yet Lake Croix is more influencesed by the Med just a few miiles away.

April ror a week to 10 days? I would just do one or the other but its your choice. Have a great time!

Caddies104 - 2014-03-30 12:08 AM

Hi

No, should not need to book, have never booked a site yet in France....you can get to Annecy in a couple of days if using Tolls, but a lot longer if not.. Seems a long way to go in a short time, we are doing a similar trip in May but for 6 weeks...

Good luck

Thanks Derek, 6 weeks would be fantastic, but sadly there is no way I could get that in

In hindsite I think it is doable as long as you are prepared to drive and drive and drive and stick to the schedule.

If your going to do the Route des Cretes (D23) in a huge van then I would definately do it early on in the day and the same when you leave down the south side to Lake Croix on the D71.

The Route des Cretes is a bit challenging and we have only done it on the scooter but I have seen normal size coach builts up there. There is nothing you wont get through but you will be pretty focused!

IF your going to use the Aire at St Croix then try and arrive late morning and get one of the side on spots and if your really lucky one of the side on lake view spots. Im not sure how busy it will be April but its mega popular and if you end up down the bottom it can be a real mash up.

Kelvyn - I originally planned a couple of day excursions to Nice and Cannes, but decided to reign it in a bit.

Barry - As I mentioned I hope to get their ASAP. then slow down a bit - once in the region it all "looks" (on Google maps) reasonably self contained... then ready for the mammoth journey back.

If needs must we can move to the toll roads - route planner shows 520 miles/7hrs using tolls (obviously you need to add the motorhome "premium" to that, I'd guess around the 9hr mark), so two blocks of 5hr drives wouldn't worry me at all... but I'd drive from the south coast to Edinburgh without thinking twice, actually if it were the UK I would probably over night it.... but I am on holiday so happy to break it up... but not too much.

All advice gratefully received.

If you want to do both I would use autoroutes and crossing at 20.00hrs drive at least to far side of Reims, you could then reach Annecy the following day. With the Verdon I would just do the North Side making sure you take in the Route des Cretes. As far as I know their is only one camp site along the main part of the gorge, this is at the village of Palud and is called Le Grand Canyon a municipal site. This site is well situated for the main part of the gorge and the starting point for the Route des Cretes. This route and the rest of the gorge I would say no problems, I have done it in a 7mtr van and it did not feel tight anywhere. Incidentally do the Route des Cretes clockwise

rupert123 - 2014-03-30 12:06 PM

If you want to do both I would use autoroutes and crossing at 20.00hrs drive at least to far side of Reims, you could then reach Annecy the following day. With the Verdon I would just do the North Side making sure you take in the Route du Cretes. As far as I know their is only one camp site along the main part of the gorge, this is at the village of Palud and is called Le Grand Canyon a municipal site. This site is well situated for the main part of the gorge and the starting point for the Route du Cretes. This route and the rest of the gorge I would say no problems, I have done it in a 7mtr van and it did not feel tight anywhere.

Thanks Henry :-> What was the reason for sticking to the North side? better scenery? time? easier roads?

Thanks again.

sean.clarke - 2014-03-30 12:10 PM

rupert123 - 2014-03-30 12:06 PM

If you want to do both I would use autoroutes and crossing at 20.00hrs drive at least to far side of Reims, you could then reach Annecy the following day. With the Verdon I would just do the North Side making sure you take in the Route du Cretes. As far as I know their is only one camp site along the main part of the gorge, this is at the village of Palud and is called Le Grand Canyon a municipal site. This site is well situated for the main part of the gorge and the starting point for the Route du Cretes. This route and the rest of the gorge I would say no problems, I have done it in a 7mtr van and it did not feel tight anywhere.

Thanks Henry :-> What was the reason for sticking to the North side? better scenery? time? easier roads?

Thanks again.

If you are used to Alpine passes you will find both sides of Gorge pretty straight forward. The Route du Cretes is on this side and is easily the best place to view with a lot of easy stopping of points, not to be missed.

Thats a good point. If your in a hurry you could always miss out the D73 south side road of the gorge.

The views are good from there and its a cracking drive down to the lake on that road but if your in a hurry you will see the best of it from the D23 Route des Cretes.

All manor of Vultures and Eagles etc soaring in many cases below you! :D

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, we are heading for Grenoble for the Tour de France so this topic is of interest. We are doing a two week trip.

I can't see some of the Aires referred to in the All The Aires book (with the exception of Trigance).

You have highlighted the Gorges as a potential route after the stage thanks.

Are there other names for some of the Aires mentioned?

We were there last April, the weather was gorgeous.Although there are signs everywhere banning wild camping .loads of French vans were parked up on the lakeside the whole time we were there. The campsite nearest to the gorge entrance is only around 500 meters away is quite cheap, so stay there. A word of warning camp on the bottom terrace as the switchbacks to get back to the road are VERY tight we came close to leaving the road in our 7 metre van.We'll be back soon, I've just bought a new inflatable kayak.

Gravemaurice - 2014-04-20 7:51 PM

Hi, we are heading for Grenoble for the Tour de France so this topic is of interest. We are doing a two week trip.

I can't see some of the Aires referred to in the All The Aires book (with the exception of Trigance).

You have highlighted the Gorges as a potential route after the stage thanks.

Are there other names for some of the Aires mentioned?

Well that could be because the "All the Aires book" Should really be called "Some of the Aires" as it probably has less than half!

Which ones are you missing?

Best bet is to look on http://www.campingcar-infos.com

If you use Google Chrome and access it through this link http://www.campingcar-infos.com/Francais/accueil.php it should translate into English.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back this afternoon - terrific time! 2100 miles in 10 days! Wasn't as bad as that sounds, we did the mamooth driving on Sundays (as most things were closed) and just peppered in a few stops.

Stayed at an aire in Beautor. Reims then down for a few days in Annecy before heading off to the Verdon Gorge and finishing off at Lac Sainte du Croix.

The only thing that caught me out was the Annecy to Verdon treck, which I had initially thought would be a doddle at around 200 miles. however it took me through the mountains so was probably as long as the Reims to Annecy run - but the drive and scenery was out of this world. Took the MH "through the clouds" at a couple of points.

Only regret was the weather at Annecy prevented us from travelling to Mont Blanc for the cable car ascent, however we intend to pass through that way again and will try and do so later in the year when the weather is more favourable.

Thanks for all your suggestions guys, it helped make the trip a memorable one.

Archived