satelite recievers

silverback

Should anyone wish to watch the French satellite channels(for Grand Prix Football rugby etc.) they will discover as in typical Gallic approach that the encryption is not compatible with the standard Free to air systems so a French decoder will need to be purchased.

C'est la vie......

EMS - 2014-04-02 9:05 PM

Should anyone wish to watch the French satellite channels(for Grand Prix Football rugby etc.) they will discover as in typical Gallic approach that the encryption is not compatible with the standard Free to air systems so a French decoder will need to be purchased.

C'est la vie......

RTL(german) on astra 1 has all the F1 races, I have this stored on my Pannasonic Freesat tv and use it to watch the live races that bbc don't cover.

cheers everyone :-)

am gonna give jacksons a ring tommorrow, armed with a bit more info thanks to you guys and see what he says, he did tell my at the show that the only way to get some!! channels is to go down the sky HD route like some of you have confirmed, but i'm not so bothered about that so ive narrowed it down abit, and see what he has to say re makes etc of FTA and Freesat

jon B-)

colin - 2014-04-02 2:30 PM

hallii - 2014-04-02 2:00 PM

Can someone explain how a better signal can be received further away in Europe using a Sky box and one off pay card? (If this is, in fact, the case).

Do Sky use a different beam to the Astra series UK spot beam? Are they transmitting via the Eurobird Sat on a wider beam?

H

A better signal cannot be received, so for the main channels it is no different, I'm not uup to speed with latest on 'freesat from sky' but there may be some minor channels that you can get which broadcast on wider beam

Just had a quick look at 'Freesat' and 'Freesat from Sky' channel lists and there doesn't appear to be any difference in any of the main and secondary channels. As there are several hundred channels I've not checked every single channel so it's possible that there might be some obscure channels that are different but I doubt it.

Colin, my Avtex has freesat and free view built in. With regard to sky, what people must remember is that both freesat and sky is owned by Murdoch under whatever name. If they want you to enjoy a bit of sky in France/Spain then so be it, he will allow it via subscription even though you are not supposed to receive sky abroad. Freesat seems to be a good alternative, and it is at home but abroad it has to put up with the restrictive footprint Mr. Murdoch dictates. No doubt someone will come up with an answer. Lets hope.

Art

Arthur Brown - 2014-04-02 10:10 PM

Colin, my Avtex has freesat and free view built in. With regard to sky, what people must remember is that both freesat and sky is owned by Murdoch under whatever name. If they want you to enjoy a bit of sky in France/Spain then so be it, he will allow it via subscription even though you are not supposed to receive sky abroad. Freesat seems to be a good alternative, and it is at home but abroad it has to put up with the restrictive footprint Mr. Murdoch dictates. No doubt someone will come up with an answer. Lets hope.

Art

Total nonsense!!!!

Art

Total nonsense!!!!

colin - 2014-04-02 9:31 PM

RTL(german) on astra 1 has all the F1 races, I have this stored on my Pannasonic Freesat tv and use it to watch the live races that bbc don't cover.

And Sport1 (also German) on Astra1 has all the Moto2, Moto3 & MotoGP qualifying and races live too.

I am in France at the moment in the SW corner of Dept 63 and very close to Depts 19 (Correze) and 15 (Cantal). Here I only have single wiring so I have to alter the configuration before I leave the UK therefore I can only watch or record one programme at a time. I have a 40cm dish and bring out my Sky+HD box. I pay the subscription for HD but not for film or sport channels. Before the changes to the satellites I used to lose ch5 and HD channels when clouds were low and, when extremely low, practically everything. Now I am losing all BBC channels (but somertimes BBC2 is ok), Sky News and ch5 but can watch ch5HD. I sometimes record Ch 5 so now choose 5 and 5HD to record and let the box decide!!

I am intending to have double wiring installed and a larger dish (perhaps) but waiting because I have read that they are still tinkering with the satellites. I have bought a spare Sky+HD box with me as I thought of buying the £25 card but after reading this thread will probably not do so.

Patricia - 2014-04-03 1:35 PM

I am in France at the moment in the SW corner of Dept 63 and very close to Depts 19 (Correze) and 15 (Cantal). Here I only have single wiring so I have to alter the configuration before I leave the UK therefore I can only watch or record one programme at a time. I have a 40cm dish and bring out my Sky+HD box. I pay the subscription for HD but not for film or sport channels. Before the changes to the satellites I used to lose ch5 and HD channels when clouds were low and, when extremely low, practically everything. Now I am losing all BBC channels (but somertimes BBC2 is ok), Sky News and ch5 but can watch ch5HD. I sometimes record Ch 5 so now choose 5 and 5HD to record and let the box decide!!

I am intending to have double wiring installed and a larger dish (perhaps) but waiting because I have read that they are still tinkering with the satellites. I have bought a spare Sky+HD box with me as I thought of buying the £25 card but after reading this thread will probably not do so.

Yes, the only real use for the card now is to get your local region on 101-105.

You should be able to get Sky News on 516.

Derek thank you for that comment. I had never realised before that I had been watching Sky news on HD and that there was an alternative channel. The sky is clear tonight but it could be useful another time although I rarely watch Sky news anyway preferring BBC if I can get a signal.

Colin, my Avtex has freesat and free view built in.

I'm on the lookout for a 12v Freesat tv as gf only usualy watches Freesat at home and can work the epg, What model is yours? and does it have the Freesat logo, either on box, on tv, or in manual, also it should display the Freesat logo in epg (usualy in top left corner)

With regard to sky, what people must remember is that both freesat and sky is owned by Murdoch under whatever name. If they want you to enjoy a bit of sky in France/Spain then so be it, he will allow it via subscription even though you are not supposed to receive sky abroad. Freesat seems to be a good alternative, and it is at home but abroad it has to put up with the restrictive footprint Mr. Murdoch dictates. No doubt someone will come up with an answer. Lets hope.

Art

i'm afraid you are wrong with this, Freesat is not owned by Murdoch. The restrictive footprint is an attempt by Freesat to keep the rights owners of programmes happy, presumably in the (vain) hope of getting them cheaper.

Freesat.jpg.63c8088f382f7049d1dae7e776c73f34.jpg

AFAIK, there are no "12V" TVs with a Freesat tuner.

Regardless of retailers sometimes stating that Avtex and other 12V TVs are "Freesat" (Incl John Lewis!) they are in fact FTA.

The Freesat website is pretty good at keeping up with "compatible" products (i.e. those that use the Freesat standards and EPG) and there are no 12V TVs detailed on there (and indeed, the smallest 230V set is 32 inch, which would be a bit of a challenge in most motorhomes, let alone a PVC ;-) ).

Pukka Freesat brings a certain amount of convenience over and above a standard FTA set, but, if properly tuned and channel-edited, an FTA unit is not too bad.

Folks

First, do some homework and come back and tell me that Mr. Murdoch does not own the company which controls Freesat.

Next, the model of Avtex is W165DRS. It gives me all the channels on 28.2 that my Comag box gave me. It also on Advanced setup will allow preset all the Astras plus Hotbird, Optus, Nilesat Sirus Thore Atlantic Bird 5w plus any others I care to enter the transponders etc of. I call that Free sat but feel free to call it what you like. The TV is 12v/240v and works fine on digital, sat and has a CAM slot.

For the original poster, you can get everything on the above TV or a Comag box free as opposed to the Sky box with Freeview card. so you can save £25. There are of course many other boxes which will provide all the free channels outlined which I am sure others will race to tell you (me). TV is a bit of a jungle at the moment but read all and make up your own mind.

Art

Arthur Brown - 2014-04-03 10:32 PM

Folks

First, do some homework and come back and tell me that Mr. Murdoch does not own the company which controls Freesat.....

Methinks you are confusing "freesat from Sky" (Sky box with viewing card - and which is part of the Murdoch empire) with "Freesat" (A joint venture between ITV and BBC, neither of which are, at least as yet, owned by the dreaded Rupert).

The Avtex TV you have (which is the same as the one I have), is FTA (Free to Air), not "Freesat". The Comag box is also FTA rather than "Freesat".

I would agree that an FTA device is quite usable in the UK (and possibly more so abroad), and will give you all the channels that "Freesat" will do. It will not, however, deliver the extra facilities and interface that the "Freesat" compatibility adds, such as a comprehensive EPG, access to various red-button services, etc.

Arthur Brown - 2014-04-03 10:32 PM

Folks

First, do some homework and come back and tell me that Mr. Murdoch does not own the company which controls Freesat.

Next, the model of Avtex is W165DRS. It gives me all the channels on 28.2 that my Comag box gave me. It also on Advanced setup will allow preset all the Astras plus Hotbird, Optus, Nilesat Sirus Thore Atlantic Bird 5w plus any others I care to enter the transponders etc of. I call that Free sat but feel free to call it what you like. The TV is 12v/240v and works fine on digital, sat and has a CAM slot.

For the original poster, you can get everything on the above TV or a Comag box free as opposed to the Sky box with Freeview card. so you can save £25. There are of course many other boxes which will provide all the free channels outlined which I am sure others will race to tell you (me). TV is a bit of a jungle at the moment but read all and make up your own mind.

Art

It is now quite obvious you don't know what Freesat sat is, let alone who 'owns' it, I would suggest you do some research yourself.

As one of the few on this post who is making comments I can actually understand, what is the French Decoder to which EMS refers?   I wondered why my Avtex wouldn't find any French TV in France.   Where can I get one?   I always thought digital TV was digital TV and just thought there was something wrong with my telly.   Can I just use a digital aerial?

don't know about above sparky but someone will

1st there is no point in getting a avtex or similar cos ive got an autotrail with the media pack *-)

so hopefully someone will know this how do you run the tv in the front and the one in the back, it has 2 feeds from the ariel box which i think are RF feeds? 1 to the front and 1 to the back how do you connect these to the FTA box because i dont think these have RF points on the back.. is there such a thing as scart to RF convertors? *-)

thanks for all your points so far

jon

Sparky7 - 2014-04-04 3:02 PM

As one of the few on this post who is making comments I can actually understand, what is the French Decoder to which EMS refers?   I wondered why my Avtex wouldn't find any French TV in France.   Where can I get one?   I always thought digital TV was digital TV and just thought there was something wrong with my telly.   Can I just use a digital aerial?

France use the same digital standard as the UK. Like the UK there is DVB-T used for SD channels and DVB-T2 for SD and HD. Does your TV pick up the Freeview HD channels? If it doesn't, that may be the problem, as I believe France uses DVB-T2 muxes more than the UK, as they have more HD channels.

derek500 - 2014-04-04 7:05

France use the same digital standard as the UK. Like the UK there is DVB-T used for SD channels and DVB-T2 for SD and HD.

Does your TV pick up the Freeview HD channels?

If it doesn't, that may be the problem, as I believe France uses DVB-T2 muxes more than the UK, as they have more HD channels.

We only have an SD/DVB-T TV, Derek, and we can watch French terrestrial without any problems e.g. we watched Le Tour on France2 last year.

When there is no terrestrial signal we point the dish at 5.0W and can pickup FTA France2 in SD there.

The French Satellite encryption that I referred to is called FRANSAT.

It is currently possible to see all the terrestrial French programmes, including regional programmes for example with the local news/weather. The satellite is part of the Eutelsat group in 2011 it was called "Atlantic Bird 3" but the channels may have been moved to another satellite at this slot at 5deg west. the web page lists all the channels http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/atlantic.html

The decoder was about £300 so not cheap but it was a one off purchase and it update over the satellite link when required.

I also watched the grand prix that the BBC/ITV did not show or had adds in the middle of the race.

It would probably be cheaper to purchase in France, I have not searched lately.

I am going to appeal to the knowledgeable people on here. In France, in the motorhome, I tune into French digital TV with just the roof aerial and to watch uk TV I either use Sky+HD box or a freeview decoder. In the house I can watch French TV just via the ordinary roof aerial.However, trying to be clever, last night I re-tuned the French TV to see if they had added any new channels. No new channels and I actually lost one, the most local one from Clermont Ferrand. I have since tried to re-tune again several times and to update the software, all to none avail. My French neighbours watch this channel by the same method all the time. Has anyone any ideas please?

Incidentally I can see a few HD channels in the list but cannot view any of them.

Archived