clash of the wing mirrors

duetto owner

late at night in a dark country narrow lane a speeding van shot by [i had stopped] wing mirrors clashed. the van never stopped. Next morning in daylight saw minor cracks and a little flaking of the mirror.

can i just get the glass replaced or is it the whole item.

ford transit all ok except the glass on the mirror which is minor, no rush to repair at present.

anyone else had this happen.

too dark and fast to get any index or description of offending van.

robinhood on your link this seems to be the one its 2009 year, and the larger vert mirror glass.

https://www.wingmirrorman.co.uk/wing-mirror-glass/ford/ford-transit/ford-transit-2006-onwards-wing-mirror-glass-right-side-1

any idea how to remove and replace, it is a powered mirror, don't think it has heating.

thanks for the link and reply

duetto owner - 2014-03-31 2:57 PM

it is a powered mirror, don't think it has heating.

As far as I know all the MK7 Transits used by Auto-Sleeper for Duettos came with the Vision Pack, which included heated mirrors (which came on with the rear screen heaters).

Sorry, but I don't know how to remove the glass, but if you ask on the Transit Forum, someone there is sure to know: http://fordtransit.org/

I had a similar occurrence a few years ago with our Hymer low profile on a transit chassis, Mk 7.

When I checked the mirror it was a heated unit but Hymer in their wisdom had not fitted the relevant components to operate the heating circuit (relay and switch, the van would normally operate the mirrors with the rear screen demister switch, but as our van has no rear windows!).

Hence I refitted the unheated mirror that was about £40 cheaper!

All fitting info was readily available from the Transit web site and is a simple job.

....on my year, (late 2009 build), electric mirrors are by default equipped for heating.

"Electric exterior mirrors are fitted with a

heating element that will defrost or demist

the mirror glass. They will switch off

automatically after a short time."

It is possible, as above, that a converter may either compromise this, or choose some odd options, but on mine they are functional, and controlled by the switch as below (located next to the hazard warning switch), and is not, on the Transit (of this build year at least), associated with a heated rear window switch, but has its own.

736218006_HeatedMirrors.JPG.b15f4549fb70b64809a815879c5f9a22.JPG

Archived