Specific insurance protection

Pampam

I was wondering if anyone has a clue where I can obtain insurance to protect my holiday :not for myself or husband ,but I case an elderly relative falls ill prior to our departure date:? Very morbid I know but I have a parent with severe Parkinson's ,one with dementia, and one who relies totally on my husband and self :was just about to book a holiday for next year and then had the terrible thought ""what if my dad was hospitalised" prior to our imminent departure ? Any clues anybody please? I wouldn't give it a thought normally but it's a pretty expensive holiday :thanks pp : /

CANCEL the above posting please have decided to just wait till next jan/feb and book&go if senior relations are fit and well my poor dad is really ill with his Parkinson's in fact I sometimes wonder how he soldiers on ,or perhaps it's because he is an "old soldier " that he does! And if it wasn't for my stepmum's marvellous care(are some people born carers?) I think he would have given up the ghost long ago :dads 85 and my stepmum's is actually younger than me,they've been together a long time and arevery happy so also just goes to prove that an age gap means sweet diddly squat lol pp:)

I accept you've changed you mind but you will presumably (let's hope! :-)) still be looking for insurance for the trip next year, and the answer is likely to be the same then. Most holiday insurances include a clause regarding death or unexpected illness of close relatives as a ground for claim. Most such clauses have a number of conditions attached, usually regarding the general health of the relative at the time the trip was booked.

It is the usual situation: the more likely it is that someone's health may interrupt your trip, the harder it will be to succeed with a claim, especially for an expensive trip where the payout would be higher. OTOH, if all close relatives are in relatively robust general health, irrespective of their ages, then sudden death or illness would have been genuinely unforeseeable, and the claim more likely to succeed.

The higher the probability that the insured event will arise, the lower should be your expectation of being able to claim. To take it to the extreme purely for illustration, if it were 100% probable that such an event would arise, no-one would insure you. Why would they, when the event was a certainty? Insurance is about risk, and certainty eliminates risk.

You might wish to contact a number of firms offering holiday insurance to obtain copies of their policies, so that you can check what they say about cancellation when relatives die or suddenly become ill. You will almost certainly find the clauses are all broadly similar, but are "shaded" in different ways, and you may find a policy where you have a reasonable prospect of being able to claim should the situation arise. But be careful; if the payout would be high they will be likely to request medical records to support the event being unexpected, and from what you have said that may present some difficulty.

It is very difficult trying to decide which way to jump, on the one hand one can't put one's life on hold indefinitely, on the other one takes quite a chance trying to do the things one wants to while still able. I know the problem, and I sympathise.

Thanks Brian yes it is hard (if HARD is the word when you on about going to a tropical island,?) I never make right decisions when it comes to money lol , and was just going to book hols with saga which might I add was a very good offer 15days in Mauritius all inc , picked up and taken to airport ,and insurance £4,659 for the both of us :and then thought whoa hold steady what could go wrong ? Picture the worst case scenario , anyhow relatives obviously not insured for existing medical conditions (doh what was I thinking?) might not be a lot of dosh to some on this forum but it is to me , (my dad would hate it if he knew,...he was a person who has always taken great pleasure in living his life before he was struck with this horrible disease) ...actually he would laugh at me going on a "saga" trip not his style at all :) pp

Archived