We'll done (for once) the Caravan Club

longtemps

Well I for one do want a CC WiFi system that I can stream and down load games/movies on , I want to connect my PS4 for system downloads and in the future I want to do more and more more quickly.

Technology comes at a price and I think the CC have got the price spot on , in the nearer than you think future the whole system is likely to be upgraded again at some great cost to allow greater data speed and volume speed .

The World Wide Web is more than a glorified letter box it's the invention that has and will have as great an impact on us as the invention of the wheel !

Enjoy yourself , it's later than you think !

Mel B - 2014-04-01 8:34 PM

maggyd - 2014-04-01 6:55 PM

I cant understand why everything is more expensive to use over here, I certainly wont be using it!, in Trier on the stal I paid around 60cents for 4 hours on their wifi and a lot of them are free it just means sitting nearer the office as in Bad Sobernheim and Fussen although the latter I got a good signal sat in the van.

Actually Maggy, sorry to disagree but 60c for 4 hours is expensive by comparison to the CC charge!

60c divided by 4 hours = 15c an hour, x 168 hours = €25.2 for a week, compared to £10 for the CC, however, if you only use it for say 4 hours every day, then that comes in at €4.20 ... so if really depends on how much you want to use it I suppose to get your money's worth out of the CC! :-S

Mel as Im only a light user when on holiday that suits me fine :-D if I paid £5 or £10 for however long I wouldnt use it, if I can Skype once it does me or even if O.H wants to go on to TomTom home once to update ! I have no intention of going onto forums when were away.

I bought £10 of 'Metered time' under the 'Old' Caravan Club wifi system, and have only used a tiny fraction of it, I logged off correctly, and to my reckoning I still have about £9 of it left.

How will this work alongside the 'new' system ?? anyone in a similar posistion, how did it work out ?

Tried the CC website, but there is no mention of 'Legacy credit' for Wifi. Ray

Hi Ray..

We/I'm not on it but as you use the CC a fair bit, have you joined and asked on their own forum?

I've just had a quick scan through their "Club products and services" section and there seemed several threads concerning wifi...

So asking there may be fruitful?... ;-)

Rayjsj - 2014-04-02 1:00 PM

I bought £10 of 'Metered time' under the 'Old' Caravan Club wifi system, and have only used a tiny fraction of it, I logged off correctly, and to my reckoning I still have about £9 of it left.

How will this work alongside the 'new' system ?? anyone in a similar posistion, how did it work out ?

Tried the CC website, but there is no mention of 'Legacy credit' for Wifi. Ray

Whilst they may, of course, choose to move the goalposts, the following is from the (current) CC website:

2014 Wi-Fi improvements

From 3 January 2014, there will be improvements to the Wi-Fi service and its affordability. We shall no longer sell the 'Start Stop' time codes, which often saw members using up their time by forgetting to log out or forgetting the codes. There were also some very steep peaks in web traffic due to members trying to squeeze maximum activity into the shortest time possible. Members who have already bought 'Start Stop' time codes will still be able to use Wi-Fi until this time runs out. Any new Wi-Fi time purchases will be on a different model that has been designed following member feedback and offers a very competitive and low-cost price plan.

Had Enough - 2014-04-01 10:49 PM...................In my opinion, putting in a good system, with decent bandwidth is sensible and forward thinking. Wifi use is going to increase enormously over the next few years.

Indeed Frank, but will the cost put off many others who would otherwise use the service?

I agree, paying £25 for a year's use is not too bad - providing one is going to use club sites extensively for the next year. We don't, so it would hardly be sensible for us. £2.50 for 24 hours is not bad either as a short term facility, though it is a shame the connection time is not metred. Truth to tell, I'd sooner pay £5 for 24 hours of use, than £2.50 for a connection that starts when one first logs on, and expires 24 hours thereafter irrespective of usage. Metering, IMO, has the advantage of persuading folk to be brief, and not to use shared facilities to excess which, in essence, was my point.

The non-metred, time based, charges IMO encourage abuse, because it persuades folk to use it to the maximum so as to gain value from the charge. (This, as I see it, is the parallel with the 16A mains pillar that merely encourages folk to use the EHU to maximum, "because they've paid for it".) Were the same system available at no extra cost it would do much the same, because it would merely encourage users to stay connected indefinitely. Why log, out when there is no disadvantage to remaining logged in?

Free systems that slow down as more folk connect are fine, because they are self limiting. When the frustration gets too great, someone drops off and makes room for someone else. For occasional, light, use, they are fine.

Metred systems, where the charge buys a block of connected time (or quantity of electricity), seem to me the ideal solution - because they encourage folk to connect, do what they need, and disconnect (or switch off), so reducing overall demand. Then, anyone making extended use merely pays accordingly.

I have used internet connections on a considerable number of continental sites, most of which were at modest cost, or free. Based on those experiences, I think you are somewhat overstating the limited nature of the free connections. I have only occasionally found it necessary to trail off to sit outside the site office, or wherever, to connect. In the rain, I do not bother. Why do so? If only a point is provided, it is often in a common room - though sometimes ethernet, and not WiFi, equipped. However, many sites rely on simple relay transmitters around the site, enabling convenient connection from one's van from most, if not quite all, locations. Reception office staff can usually advise where it works best.

I pay £10 a month for my Orange dongle.

Service standards are excellent, 5 GB of data a month is plenty for us and the convenience is unbeatable.

I can't think of anything worse than having to 'seek out' wifi on an occasion when it really would be useful.

Martyn

Bolly1965 - 2014-03-31 10:38 PM

We experienced the new WiFi at Buxton. Unfortunately it went down after the first night. Not exactly a roaring success. And no, logging out will not save your connection like before.

We are at Buxton at present. Wifi working great ....... fingers crossed.

We opted for £25 for year unlimited. Also works well at Melrose and Bury.

We only use CC sites in low season when its quiet so don't know how system will stand up with lots logged on in high season

Nothing is free. It's just some organisations are more transparent in their charging.

It's a common phrase in the service industry, "Don't underestimate what people will pay for nice when they think its free" which normally applies to hotels etc that up the nightly rates but include free sachets of shampoo. Bundling services to hide the high profit margins is now common practice.

stantheman - 2014-04-10 8:12 PM

Very sad to hear that people still want to play games and stream movies while supposedly 'away from it all'.

Odd comment........

Sounds as if you are looking at others lifestyles / choices and applying them to your own preferences ?

I don't stream movies. I don't play games. I don't appreciate painting. But I do respect others' right to do so though. I don't 'judge' them.

However, I do appreciate being able to log in via wifi when 'away from it all'

Arthur

Thanks for the sanctimonious comment, Athur. I also respect the right of others to spend their time as they wish.

However, I would like to make the point that the old system of charging for WiFi usage didn't penalise the 'small-time' user like me. If I understand the new scheme correctly, one pays for 24hrs (or whatever) of surftime regardless of how long one is logged-on. This obviously favours the 'streamers and gamers' who I will now appear to be subsidising.

stantheman - 2014-04-13 1:38 PM

This obviously favours the 'streamers and gamers' who I will now appear to be subsidising.

Thank you for clarifying your earlier comment Mike. I understand now what you mean.

I'm a 'minor' user of wifi too but I do voluntary research work and like to keep in touch whilst away. I don't think that £25 for a year, unlimited, is expensive but the test will be how much use I make of CC sites and

how robust the system will be in use.

Arthur

Archived