Crossing . France to Spain

PJay

We are going over in a couple of weeks Portsmouth/Cherborug, and heading down to Spain. We have previously crossed either from Bairitz down to San Sebastion, or from La B0ulou to La Jonquera (as we call in LORRY City)

Have read on here that some of you use the Sompot Tunnell!!, I can't find it on my map.Is it a good route, (will it be snow free,the route, not the tunnel) and where is it?

Would like to avoid paying the toll to cross at the western side, so I am hoping for some ideas from fellow travellers Heading towards Valencia or further south. We saw snow on the mountains last year in late May, so will it still be snowy? we don't plan routes as a general rule, so any sugestions?

PJay

Guest pelmetman
Toll's Western side? :-S................there's no need to pay any toll's to head into Spain..............unless you refer to the new toll on the road South of Pissos? ;-)..............

We had to pay last year coming from Spain, and the road was not even complete!!

Maybe its only getting out of Spain??

What route do use use Dave? I guess we will head for Calpe as always, but want to go further south this year, as we have been getting lazy and staying in Calpe.

PJay

Guest pelmetman
PJay - 2014-04-01 6:24 PM

What route do use use Dave? I guess we will head for Calpe as always, but want to go further south this year, as we have been getting lazy and staying in Calpe.

PJay

We tend to go Biarritz, Zaragoza, Valencia and just put no tolls into the Tom Tom ;-)..............sometimes we get caught out because my sat nav is getting on a bit :D...........

pelmetman - 2014-04-01 6:35 PM

PJay

We tend to go Biarritz, Zaragoza, Valencia and just put no tolls into the Tom Tom ;-)..............sometimes we get caught out because my sat nav is getting on a bit :D...........

That is the route been looking at. I believe you have done it in more wintery conditions , so I guess no problem, with weather then, as we don't go so early usually, more like middle/end of May

Thanks for reply, must get dinner now, as OH birthday to-day (yes I know April Fool). My MIL always did things to remember she born 25th Dec died 5th November!!

Hi, If you leave the A63 and turn towards Pissos (just before the new tolls begin) and Mont de Marsan and after Mont de Marsan head towards Orthez, then Oleron Ste Marie and on towards Jaca via the Somport tunnel then Huesca on the A23 which is free all the way to Sagunto.

Colin

PJay - 2014-04-01 6:56 PM

pelmetman - 2014-04-01 6:35 PM

PJay

That is the route been looking at. I believe you have done it in more wintery conditions , so I guess no problem, with weather then, as we don't go so early usually, more like middle/end of May

Thanks for reply, must get dinner now, as OH birthday to-day (yes I know April Fool). My MIL always did things to remember she born 25th Dec died 5th November!![/QUOT

E]

Did she go out with a bang?

Hi we have used the somport tunnel for 6 trips now and have never encountered any snow ( only on the mountain tops). we never use tolls.this is the route we take. Calais, Rouen, Poitiers, Bordeaux, mont de marsen, Oleron st Marie ( overnight stay) then about 20 miles to the somport tunnel, on to the A23 all the way to Valencia. Brilliant route, have fun.

Hi we have been back a couple of weeks we went to Les Medes in feb via Rouen Evereux Clermont Narbonne and LA jonquera. Only paid to go over Millau bridge as we wanted to experience it.There was snow going down and back from clermont very pretty,but the roads were clear and the views were stunning. Hope this might be of some help.

trickydicky - 2014-04-01 10:18 PM

Hi we have used the somport tunnel for 6 trips now and have never encountered any snow ( only on the mountain tops). we never use tolls.this is the route we take. Calais, Rouen, Poitiers, Bordeaux, mont de marsen, Oleron st Marie ( overnight stay) then about 20 miles to the somport tunnel, on to the A23 all the way to Valencia. Brilliant route, have fun.

This the route I was looking for, though we would be coming from Cherburg, and most likely visiting Friends on the way, but the bit from Bordeax, is the route I did not know

Thanks Tricky Dicky and Nomad.

Also thanks for others imput, always appreciated.

i was worried about it being Easter, but checked ACSI sites all OK, some in Spain maybe not available, depends how soon we get there

PJay

Archived