Italy

rapidoman

Going to Italy late August for a month, probably traveling around the lakes maybe go down to Florence. I am looking for a route from Calais avoiding Toll roads. Motorhome is 3.8 tons so dont want to go anywhere where we have to pay. Any suggestions and avice on route and aires will be good. Many Thanks :-D

Guest JudgeMental

Lots of info if you use forum search function re Italy routes, here is one

http://tinyurl.com/qf6yn3z

Not sure what the cost is going via Switzerland being over 3500kg, but you can go via Austria toll free, via Fern pass....

Lakes ever so popular in summer we go every year, this will be our tenth.......touring around without pre booking could be frustrating as your unlikely to get on the better sites, but will always get on somewhere I guess.....we toured around Tuscany in 2012 and had no problem getting on sites...Tuscany is amazing.

We were last in the Italian Lakes in August in 2012. Dunno about routes but I just put in Calais to Lake Orta and to avoid tolls and it came up with this route. http://goo.gl/maps/9VMbK

We found the big popular lakes like Garda (which I didnt like) were just heaving. The Sostas were expensive and packed. Couldnt even get on any of them around Lake Iseo and had to leave.

However we did find that if you get off the beaten track a bit and up into the Dolomites or some of the lesser known smaller lakes like Barcis it was just heaven. Lake Maggiore and Orta are my two favourites and there are two free Sostas on Orta. One at Sacro Monte di Orta which is just out of this world (the place not the sosta which is pretty basic) and the other one the other side of the lake in the hills. Good Sosta at Cannobio on Maggiore as well.

Guest JudgeMental

Oh come on Barry that simply is not true, heaving? Like any popular summer destination a bit of planning necessary. Wife works in education so we are always away high season and have an enjoyable time. There are only so many hotels beds and campsite pitches available, so planning ahead the best bet but you will always find somewhere. We stayed on Aires on Lake Como last summer and in other towns on lake Garda before getting to our favorite site which we always pre book.

Here are some pics of Salo the main town near where we stay, a lake side restaurant, and town near us on market day! really calm and wonderful atmosphere. GOOD restuarants busy but yet to be refused a table....far nicer than south of france and the like I can tell you.... want heaving try Argeles sur mer!

1464218942_SaloinAugust.JPG.07a6cba3620fbc5f0d9987e2b15ebc36.JPG

2045088708_salo.JPG.d3664f9c1909523aa178bea11b07f1fd.JPG

restuarant.JPG.5d6a1d00c4d2a5e060870aa6014ad7ca.JPG

437897707_marketday.JPG.c73c7b379b1ab48a415ea60124f367fc.JPG

1614862731_shoppingandlunch.JPG.bfbaafa2f88b0226c018808f22822061.JPG

Looks Lovely!

I meant a lot of the hot spots were heaving. When we went to the north end of Garda in August 2012 we stayed at an Aire in the hills about 6 miles up the road which was dead quiet but Riva del Garda lovely as it was was just packed. Same at Iseo and one of the other lakes but as I said you dont have to drive far to get away from it all.

Guest JudgeMental
Riva busiest town on the lake, we stopped with the Euromobil about 6 years ago and parking a real pain. but its a nice town, and extremely popular. But there are many beautiful towns studded all around the lakes. and you can get to them by hydrofoil/ferries which crisscross the lake....

JudgeMental - 2014-04-02 8:26 AM

Lots of info if you use forum search function re Italy routes, here is one

http://tinyurl.com/qf6yn3z

Not sure what the cost is going via Switzerland being over 3500kg, but you can go via Austria toll free, via Fern pass....

For a 3850Kg motorhome the cost of the vignette was £16.79 in 2012 for a 7 day pass. We got ours at Reinfelden. Other routes on this recent forum link :- http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Routes-into-Italy/34036/

rupert123 - 2014-04-02 4:03 PM

Barryd999 - 2014-04-02 2:28 PM

Looks Lovely!

I assume this is ironic Barry, it looks a nightmare to me, still everyone to their own and Eddie does live in some London suburb so anywhere away from their must seem like heaven.

No. IT does look nice. Im massive fan of getting away from it all and love the Italian Alps but I think some of the Italian Lakeside towns like Orta and Cannobio on Maggiore are fantastic. love the architecture and I quite like the hussle and bussle sometimes.

The good thing about having a motorhome (and for us a bike) is you can easily move on if it gets too much.

Guest JudgeMental

Looks Lovely!

I assume this is ironic Barry, it looks a nightmare to me, still everyone to their own and Eddie does live in some London suburb so anywhere away from their must seem like heaven.

Then you don't understand English which is not surprising you absolute ignoramus. When are you going to stop stalking me, criticising me on every thread with personal digs. To be honest I think you are simply jealous and full of envy... But then I have seen the soot covered hovels in the dump of a town that you call home, stuck in the middle of nowhere, with nothing to do except carp on negatively on here....

Arthur Brown - 2014-04-02 10:47 PM

Eddy,

You are what I call a fishermans friend, someone throws a worm and you bite. We don't need the nastiness which manifests itself from time to time. You rise to the bait on every occasion. Take a step back and say 'so what'. much more the man.

Art

Well said that man!

Nightmare? really? - so what works for you then?

I looked at the photos and thought "wow" - added the town to the Lakes itinerary for later in the year. I may work in London, but I live close to fruit farms, open space and the sea... and I still thought the photo's were gorgeous.

Each to their own I suppose.

sean.clarke - 2014-04-02 11:12 PM

Nightmare? really? - so what works for you then?

I looked at the photos and thought "wow" - added the town to the Lakes itinerary for later in the year. I may work in London, but I live close to fruit farms, open space and the sea... and I still thought the photo's were gorgeous.

Each to their own I suppose.

Well I guess we all like different stuff. Personally neither my wife or I are to keen on towns with lots of people. Some like them, look at the amount who go to Benidorm, personally we would not go near the place. Shopping and restaurant's are not a priority on our holiday,s, plenty of both at home. Eddies pictures looked just like a town high street and not a very attractive one at that. The boat ones a little better but nothing to go out of your way for. What works for us, well any mountain region, places like the Tarn or Verdon gorges, small towns or villages that are old and have some character and history, for example Rochamador in the Lot but plenty of others all over Europe. Perhaps when we are less mobile and not able to walk much we may change, but not just yet.

Guest JudgeMental

Hey! You egotistical numpty this thread about Italian lakes?8-)

Really Arthur.....Am I expected to contend with these snide personal attacks on every thread I contribute to....all he has to do is keep his distance, but I think he fancies me to be honest...scary or what!:D

The photos were to help dispel the notion, normally perpetrated by those who never holiday in high season! that not everywhere rammed to the gills....fishing pun intentional

:-D

JudgeMental - 2014-04-02 5:23 PM

Looks Lovely!

Then you don't understand English which is not surprising you absolute ignoramus. When are you going to stop stalking me, criticising me on every thread with personal digs. To be honest I think you are simply jealous and full of envy... But then I have seen the soot covered hovels in the dump of a town that you call home, stuck in the middle of nowhere, with nothing to do except carp on negatively on here....

Eddie you really do not get it do you. I have a different opinion to you, on it would appear almost everything, so when you make a statement I do not agree with I will put my point Now I am aware that you are one of these people who cannot abide anyone having a different opinion so you react, not with a reasoned argument but a load of abuse. However it is just an opinion, not an abusive personal attack on you, I will continue to disagree with you or anyone else, this is a public forum and anyone can make up their own minds on a subject. Disagreeing is allowed in the real world why do you not join it. Incidentally you have no idea where I live, we have moved away from the beautiful village of Beddgelert although still in North Wales.

Guest JudgeMental

Just stay away from me you crank!lol This thread about the italian lakes.....not your ego

Thanks Sean :-D

Bloody hell Rupert123. Dont like shops, restaurants and crowds but love Rocamadour!!! (lol)

Next to Mont St Michel Ive never seen such a tourist trap in France!

Agree about the Tarn and Verdon Gorges though. Superb.

Anyone been to Bellagio on Lake Como? Stunning place if you can work out the mental Lake ferry timetable!

There is a full account of one of our Italian Lake trips here https://sites.google.com/site/hanktestsite2/blog/summer-2011/italy which includes the day we ended up in the middle of the presidential motorcade in Hank on Lake Como at Mennagio. :D

Looks Lovely!

You should know by now Rupert it's fine to have an opinion on Motorhome Matters and your own view on something as long as it's the same as a certain someone's , otherwise your public enemy number one

Guest JudgeMental
Barryd999 - 2014-04-03 8:32 PM

Anyone been to Bellagio on Lake Como? Stunning place if you can work out the mental Lake ferry timetable!

There is a full account of one of our Italian Lake trips here https://sites.google.com/site/hanktestsite2/blog/summer-2011/italy which includes the day we ended up in the middle of the presidential motorcade in Hank on Lake Como at Mennagio. :D

Yes Barrie, was up there last summer for lunch after spending the night on unofficial port Aire in Como town ..... we got ferry from there to other side and drove on to Garda. The lakes are great, have been visiting for many years and love them :-D

Went to the Italian lakes last May, did not set out to but due to the bad weather we ended up in Italy. Loved Orta and a few of the smaller lakes. Stayed on a site at Orta but a aire is also nearby. In Garda their is a nice aire but in August most places will be full. Have fun. B-)

Guest JudgeMental

Good article on Italian lakes on Promobil site. Has plenty of info, plus list of overnight stops with coordinates. My links don't always work, but just press Italy tab on top bar and use google translator..worth a look.......

http://tinyurl.com/ocbm3h3

Archived