Parts supply warning! Pre 2002 Boxer and Ducato PVC's

euroserv

If you have a pre- 2002 Fiat Ducato or Peugeot Boxer that you intend to keep for a while yet, you should make careful note of the following part supply issues............

We have been working on a 1999 Ducato Maxi panel van this week and had to get it through an MOT.

It is very common for these vehicles to have weak hand brakes and the normal course of action once adjustment has been tried is to replace the hand brake cables; normally the single cable that goes across the rear and pulls on both sides. Shoes are often required and sometimes drums too but on this occasion we found that some retaining clips and the cable required were no longer available from Fiat. We also could not find any after-market items but did manage to get them from Peugeot (because I know the model specific similarities between Boxer's and Ducato's) but I have no idea for how long this will be the case.

My advice, especially if you have a PVC is to get some parts now while they are available and keep them for the future.

In our case we needed Fiat cable number 1330058080 which was previously known as 1307963080 and is the same as Peugeot number 4745 G3. The retaining clips are 9948133 and the Peugeot equivalent is 4223 15.

Now, to keep things in perspective, Ford only guarantee to keep parts available for 10 years after production ceases; so Fiat are not exactly doing anything surprising here, but you need to be aware that certain parts do eventually get discontinued and I want to make you aware of any problems that we encounter so that you can be prepared.

Normally; body, trim and mechanical items can be sourced from after market suppliers or found used but items such as brake cables; if not already manufactured by other suppliers, are not going to be and the remaining dealer stock will run out.

The bottom line is that you should keep consumable items and common repair parts in your own stock or face possibly terminal problems as time goes by.

There is no issue with the above parts for 2002 onwards vehicles that have disc brakes at the rear (and drum hand brakes inside the discs) at present. In 4 years or so, this may be a different story.

Nick

I managed to keep a 1988 Talbot going (2004-2008) on what was available from old stocks and aftermarket suppliers for several years, but some parts did get hard to get hold of. The same will apply to 'todays' vehicle bases in years to come, luckily, being a well used commercial base vehicle there will have been a lot of spares produced. (unless this 'Just in time' ethos, stops folk from holding stock ??) Ray

Guest pelmetman
Last year had my brakes overhauled...................1990 Transit brake cylinders, genuine Ford parts were still available here same day from local motor factors ;-)...........

All valid comments.

I have responded to many queries regarding obsolete parts (not only Fiat ones at that) over the last couple of years. I saw this problem on the horizon and thought it best to make folks aware. If there is no need; I won't bother in future.

No problem.

Guest pelmetman
euroserv - 2014-04-02 5:59 PM

All valid comments.

I have responded to many queries regarding obsolete parts (not only Fiat ones at that) over the last couple of years. I saw this problem on the horizon and thought it best to make folks aware. If there is no need; I won't bother in future.

No problem.

I think your concerns are well found Nick ;-)..............................Especially as vehicles have become so complicated..........and with parts that are so expensive to replace such as CATS and DPF's etc 8-)............

As I recall you're already keeping dona vehicles for spares?...............Whether there will be many vans of post 99 vintage still on the road in 20 years time is a moot point :-|................

euroserv - 2014-04-02 5:59 PMAll valid comments.I have responded to many queries regarding obsolete parts (not only Fiat ones at that) over the last couple of years. I saw this problem on the horizon and thought it best to make folks aware. If there is no need; I won't bother in future.No problem.

I'm sure that I speak for the majority when I ask that you do continue to make us aware of potential future supply problems Nick. There is a need to know ....the 'relaxed' few aside!

Guest pelmetman
bob b - 2014-04-02 6:18 PM

There is a need to know ....the 'relaxed' few aside!

I doubt "the relaxed few" is the correct description ;-)..................I have been flagging up this issue for years :-S............There will conceivably be a situation when vehicles although perfectly functional in every detail, will fail its MOT and be scrapped, because a computer part to operate the seat belt light is no longer available 8-)...........

An extreme example maybe..... but foreseeable :-|...........

Guest Peter James

Good idea to keep essential spares.

Yet its amazing what you can find on ebay. I was maintaining a Rover Maestro about 16 years after they ceased production yet could still find everything I needed on ebay

euroserv - 2014-04-02 5:59 PM

All valid comments.

No problem.[/quote

My comments were not meant as a slight against you, far from it. It is a Fair warning, companies are holding Less and less spares 'on the Shelf' as they see it as 'dead money' and the future for keeping obsolete vehicles on the road does indeed look bleak, both from Spare Parts and a legislation angle.

Motorhomes are a peculiar mix, they are VERY long lived and used, but do very low mileages, spending most of their long lives in Storage, but of course 'Time marches on' and the Commercial Bases that they are fitted to, are being 'upgraded' all the time.

The only place you will be able to find a 20 year old ECU will be at a 'very clever' scrap dealers, who foresees the 'coming need'. (a future business opurtunity perhaps ?). ;-) Ray

Yes my thanks too. Please flag up any problems such as this as I for one have one of these vehicles and appreciate your help to keep them going! There is, as always in life, a silent majority who listen to people that try to help and despair at some of those that feel the need to 'put down' those that do.

Funny I was only thinking the other day as I read the latest MMM, with the regular article on Classic Campers, that under the 'rules' at the end of the article the early Sevel Boxer etc. are now in the Classic zone of over fifteen years!!

Wonder if Speedy cables would have been able to make one up to pattern?

http://www.speedycables.com/

They were able to provide me with a replacement for the cruise control throttle cable for ours a couple of years back, but of course that wouldn't have helped with the clips!

Bas

pelmetman - 2014-04-02 6:34 PM

I doubt "the relaxed few" is the correct description ;-)..................I have been flagging up this issue for years :-S............There will conceivably be a situation when vehicles although perfectly functional in every detail, will fail its MOT and be scrapped, because a computer part to operate the seat belt light is no longer available 8-)...........

I feel you may be correct, as vehicles become ever more complicated with ever more parts there is less incentive for manufacturers to stock those parts, also less incentive for third party suppliers to manufacture them.

Some twenty years ago I stripped the loom out of a mk5 Cortina and it was a fairly simple affair, about 5 years back I stripped the loom out of a late model Granada and it was much more complicated, I'm not sure I could carry the entire loom it was so heavy, and at the end of all those wires where parts just waiting to fail.

Basil - 2014-04-05 4:16 PM

Wonder if Speedy cables would have been able to make one up to pattern?

http://www.speedycables.com/

They were able to provide me with a replacement for the cruise control throttle cable for ours a couple of years back, but of course that wouldn't have helped with the clips!

Bas

Been using speedy cables for 20+ years now, sometimes we send off the 'cable' and they remove ends and fit to new 'cable', other times they supply us the 'parts' and we make up to suit, as I often have to make an adaptor to cobble it together.

You do get this problem with older vehicles - we have a works vehicle my son and I use for his business which is an Isuzu Crewcab - stunning vehicle that is so practical with its detachable hard-top and comfortable seating for five - spares are not a problem at all - loads of providers.

But we hit a problem last month when the radiator started weeping - we took it out and it was well and truly cream crackerred. Now OE Isuzu spares are generally reasonable and of truly excellent quality.

But our local dealer quoted over £600 for a replacement radiator - which was a bit of shock - the guy said that it would have to be flown over from Japan (the just in time scenario!! :-S ) - so we asked if they were flying it over Business Class?

Non original replacements are available on-line for about £100 but having seen the quality of some of these - we really wanted OE or a well known named brand, but this proved difficult.

So, having kept old Triumphs and Land Rovers on the road for years - we got a quote for re-coring the original radiator (which will be "nice" as it will keep the vehicle original) - and the cost is a fraction more than the cheapy cheapy ebay ones.

So quite a result.

The firm is not far from where we live and it will be done in a few days

http://www.mandmfernradiators.co.uk/restoration-gallery

So I would suggest that many parts can be repaired if you look around - cables in particular can be made up - Classic and Vintage car and motorcycle owners clubs are a wealth of information.

Guest pelmetman
Eddy - 2014-04-05 7:16 PM

pelmetman - 2014-04-02 6:34 PM

Still the same old record eh, when will you understand that some of us do not want to drive round in vehicles 25 years old, no more than we want to use a wash tub and mangle, that would still get the washing done though according to your logic.

So instead of your usual attempt at converting us all to drive around in some old noisy unrefined junk can't you just button it for once................some of us would much sooner read Euroserves posts than your usual " buy an old banger" rubbish you always come out with at every opportunity, trust me his contributions unlike yours are far more valuable to this forum ;-)

I see the charm school chucked out early tonight Eddy :D....................All I try to point out to those who are in the market for an older vehicle......... that buying pre complicated electrics may well be the way to go, seeing as parts for 99 vehicles appear to be drying up ;-)...............a point worthy of repeating as new people join this forum all the time, not just those who rejoin repeatedly >:-)

A lot of motorhomers 'Cut their Teeth' on a ' well looked after' old banger, they do very few miles (mostly) and many folk 'mollycoddle' them well into old age. So, it it no wonder that they still sell well into their 20's. and long may it be so, otherwise how are 'Cash strapped' folk going to get started into Motorhoming ? we cannot all afford 'new' vans, even if we aspire to one. I hope that technology and draconian Emission controls don't get the older vans scrapped before their 'Time'. And lets hope that some longsighted entrepreneur is busy squirreling away Fiat X240 and X250 Spares for the Motorhome market of 20 years hence. (?) Ray

Guest Had Enough
Eddy - 2014-04-05 7:16 PM

Still the same old record eh, when will you understand that some of us do not want to drive round in vehicles 25 years old, no more than we want to use a wash tub and mangle, that would still get the washing done though according to your logic.

So instead of your usual attempt at converting us all to drive around in some old noisy unrefined junk can't you just button it for once................some of us would much sooner read Euroserves posts than your usual " buy an old banger" rubbish you always come out with at every opportunity, trust me his contributions unlike yours are far more valuable to this forum ;-)

Hear hear! It just gets so boring. But here's the laugh. 25 years ago when he bought his motorhome it was nearly new! So then he was happy to buy a state of the art model. Why didn't he go for a twenty year old one then and save a lot of money?

Well, we know why don't we? Then he could afford to buy a nearly new motorhome, so he did. Now he can't afford to buy a newish one, so instead of just being honest and saying so, he comes out with all this rubbish about how driving an old banger is a considered option. No it's not! It's because he can't afford anything else!

We all know what he'd do if someone left him a load of dosh don't we? Yep, a nice new Hymer or something! What a joke!

Guest Peter James

I can well understand feeling affection for a van thats been a holiday home for 25 years.

And if I broke down in Horace I wouldn't be so clueless when I looked under the bonnet :$

Guest pelmetman
Had Enough - 2014-04-05 11:34 PM

Hear hear! It just gets so boring. But here's the laugh. 25 years ago when he bought his motorhome it was nearly new! So then he was happy to buy a state of the art model. Why didn't he go for a twenty year old one then and save a lot of money?

Well, we know why don't we? Then he could afford to buy a nearly new motorhome, so he did. Now he can't afford to buy a newish one, so instead of just being honest and saying so, he comes out with all this rubbish about how driving an old banger is a considered option. No it's not! It's because he can't afford anything else!

We all know what he'd do if someone left him a load of dosh don't we? Yep, a nice new Hymer or something! What a joke!

Sorry to have to correct you Frank......as I fear your superior memory is letting you down 8-).................

I've stated many times Horace was inherited from the FIL when he was 18 months old :-| .................so I'll admit there is strong emotional attachment, and I doubt there are many people who have had the same camper for so long, therefore can give a proper perspective of long term ownership with regard to maintaining and using a classic camper B-)

I guess its because I CAN point out that keeping and maintaining a older vehicle is less expensive and troublesome as some on here would have people believe, that it rattles their cages having spent a fortune PX their vans >:-)

BTW Frank, 15 years ago I spent 40k , the equivalent of a nice new shinny top of the range Hymer at the time on building a garage for Horace ;-).................The only difference is that the garage a few years later added 80k to the value of our property allowing me to semi retire at 46...........where as if I'd bought a Hymer, it would of been worth 20k less and I would still working full time to pay for the next one *-)

I'm now 56 so been semi retired for 10 years and think I've got the hang of it......so hope to retire fully soon.............Progress eh? :D

Guest pelmetman
Rayjsj - 2014-04-05 8:51 PM

I hope that technology and draconian Emission controls don't get the older vans scrapped before their 'Time'. And lets hope that some longsighted entrepreneur is busy squirreling away Fiat X240 and X250 Spares for the Motorhome market of 20 years hence. (?) Ray

Nice to see someone has got the point I was making ;-).................but what happens once all those ECU's are used up? :-S............

I suspect rust is easier to fix than a non replaceable ECU :-|

pelmetman - 2014-04-06 8:38 AM

Rayjsj - 2014-04-05 8:51 PM

I hope that technology and draconian Emission controls don't get the older vans scrapped before their 'Time'. And lets hope that some longsighted entrepreneur is busy squirreling away Fiat X240 and X250 Spares for the Motorhome market of 20 years hence. (?) Ray

Nice to see someone has got the point I was making ;-).................but what happens once all those ECU's are used up? :-S............

I suspect rust is easier to fix than a non replaceable ECU :-|

Quite Dave!

All this thread proves is that people like differing things but some people get all upset when others say what you do is not for me.

Sad really...........

Personally I think the pleasure I get from seeing a well looked after classic/vintage "anything" is a joy others are crazy not to understand or comprehend.

I shall be at a few classic car shows again this year and no doubt some will be there with classic caravans and motorhomes. "One life - Live it!" as the saying goes.........

Looking forward to it.

Archived