Teenage suicide

nightrider

Probably just like the rest of us did when that age Malcolm , we blew silly little problems into great big mountainous ones

Some get over it and can look back and laugh others unfortunately think things so bad they take there own life . Having had old school pals do the same over silly girlfriend problems that had they been alive now they would of thought pathetic , the teenage mind is a very strange place , I know mine was and some may say still is

On Monday our town was gridlocked an attempted jumper off the roof of shopping centre,,another off the a1 bridge (killed)and another off the m1bridge all in one day,apparently the woman on the shopping centre roof had threatened the week before off block of flats....but wasn't"sectioned" we seem to be an uncaring society I think the pace of life is so fast ,I would hate to be a youngster in today's society the peer pressure must be enormous:designer goods etc:

Peer pressure, no.

Nothing has changed there, Social Media however has.

Instantaneous abuse, scrutiny of pictures and/or comments they're the drivers in my view. My time in Social Services coincided with the advent of text messages, and they were bad enough.

Goodness knows what it's like now.

Martyn.

I agree Martyn - some people seem to think the so called anonymity of modern communications gives then carte blanche to be as obnoxious and bullying as they wish.

If you are young and or vulnerable then you are easy prey for these low lifes.

Technology and the law is slowly catching up with these people - but it does need to move faster.

http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/local-news/reading-troll-jailed-cyber-bullying-4209488

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1208147/First-cyberbully-jailed-Facebook-death-threats.html

and The Guardian reported a week ago that changes to the criminal justice bill could see many more of these bullying scum having answer for what they do.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/mar/26/cyber-bullies-tougher-penalties-internet-troll

About time IMO.

Guest pelmetman

Social media appears to be a bit of a poisoned chalice :-S................

Just to witness some of the spats on here has been an eye opener 8-)................

But very entertaining :D......

Guest peter
I know what you mean Dave. I've often had thoughts of topping myself after reading some of the mind addling and depressingly negative dross on here. :-S ;-)

Parents have changed. Parents do not always understand the lives children lead today.

There was a recent incident in the US where two youngsters, one who'd move there from the UK, killed a copper and then themselves. The British girl wrote a vitriolic letter to her mother blaming her.

Last year two teenagers jumped under a train to commit suicide [my son was involved in the cleaning up exercise] because they were in love but had been banned from seeing each other by their parents [i think this was because of different races].

Easy for children to blame their parents. It's not easy for parents to accept that children do not respect them because they are parents. Children expect parents to earn their respect. Some parents are too busy. This is no difference to being at work where the boss has to earn the respect of his/her staff. Some children have one parent, some end up with four.

In summary there is a lot of pressure on children, their parents, and the family unit in general. Low self esteem caused by peer pressure and busy parents can be toxic.

Children make the news because the newsmakers know it will horrify. But some years ago I saw statistics showing that suicide accounted for more deaths in the first year of retirement than any other cause.

I may bring you all down here but sorry so here goes.I considered suicide when i was seventeen,i came out to my family as gay and was informed by a close family member that i would go to hell and received no support in fact insults and abuse from family,was told by one close relative that i was no longer welcome and would be ignored until i stopped being so stupid.I sat on a beach and thought how easy it would be to just walk into the sea.Then i thought f--k them who cares so here i am today,sorry to lay it out on here :-(

capcloser - 2014-04-05 12:43 AM

I may bring you all down here but sorry so here goes.I considered suicide when i was seventeen,i came out to my family as gay and was informed by a close family member that i would go to hell and received no support in fact insults and abuse from family,was told by one close relative that i was no longer welcome and would be ignored until i stopped being so stupid.I sat on a beach and thought how easy it would be to just walk into the sea.Then i thought f--k them who cares so here i am today,sorry to lay it out on here :-(

I have a friend who "came out" when we were all having a beer one evening the Billing Land Rover Show. I think all the blokes were a bit surprised as I for one had not really had any idea. But the ladies in the group who knew our good mate as well as we did - said that they "knew".

We just had another beer and celebrated his "liberation" and the fact that he trusted us all enough to tell us what to him, had been a secret.

He is a great bloke and still a really good mate.

But he had a pretty bad time with his Dad who took it badly - but it all worked out very well in the end.

However, his partners Father still ignores him - and this makes celebrations like Christmas very difficult.

When i came out to my parents they were absolutely horrified and my father hasn't spoken to me to this very day . Some of the locals in the village called me son of satan and would spit at me as I walked by and they would get there kids to kick my shins and stuff , but I always knew from an early age I was different and I'll always vote Tory never mind how much it offends people , Bigots !

antony1969 - 2014-04-05 7:33 AM

When i came out to my parents they were absolutely horrified and my father hasn't spoken to me to this very day . Some of the locals in the village called me son of satan and would spit at me as I walked by and they would get there kids to kick my shins and stuff , but I always knew from an early age I was different and I'll always vote Tory never mind how much it offends people , Bigots ![/quote

I'm surprised Tony, never knew that you were gay? not that it bothers me, we are what we are born.

Guest pelmetman
knight of the road - 2014-04-05 9:22 AM

When i came out to my parents they were absolutely horrified and my father hasn't spoken to me to this very day . Some of the locals in the village called me son of satan and would spit at me as I walked by and they would get there kids to kick my shins and stuff , but I always knew from an early age I was different and I'll always vote Tory never mind how much it offends people , Bigots ![/quote

I'm surprised Tony, never knew that you were gay? not that it bothers me, we are what we are born.

Not as surprised as his Mrs :D...............

I'm not gay Malcolm , although like you say it's no biggie anyway and that's probably why I'm not gay

I do however like gay things like Abba , shopping , bathroom smellies , ebikes and camping so maybe I could play for both Manchester United and Manchester City and like they say don't knock it till ya have tried it

Guest peter

Where in his post did he state that he was gay?. *-)

Guest peter
CliveH - 2014-04-05 7:17 AM

I have a friend who "came out" when we were all having a beer one evening the Billing Land Rover Show. I think all the blokes were a bit surprised as I for one had not really had any idea. But the ladies in the group who knew our good mate as well as we did - said that they "knew".

We just had another beer and celebrated his "liberation" and the fact that he trusted us all enough to tell us what to him, had been a secret.

He is a great bloke and still a really good mate.

But he had a pretty bad time with his Dad who took it badly - but it all worked out very well in the end.

However, his partners Father still ignores him - and this makes celebrations like Christmas very difficult.

I'm sure you manage O/K Clive, your partners father is bigoted. :D

I'm sure I've seen this confession of yours written in the third party before, in another thread about bumming. :$ (lol)

Guest peter
knight of the road - 2014-04-05 1:28 AM

peter - 2014-04-04 9:54 PM

Because it's crap to live in Blackley, Eccles Or Bolton. I'd top myself as well if I had to live there. :D

How do you know its crap to live in Bolton Eccles or Blackely, rather a sweeping statement that?

I agree it was KOTR.I should have said Bury. :D

Guest pelmetman
knight of the road - 2014-04-07 6:52 AM

Peter,

Bury has a thriving town centre and market having had millions spent on it within the last few years, so what is Lincolnshires claim to fame?

Polish is our native language ;-)....................

Daveski

Im sorry that you had such a ignorent ill informed family :-S and glad that you had the sense to see it was them that had the problem, my eldest grand-son went through hell at school being bullied and taunted, I always knew from an early age that it was likely he was gay, because of the lovely gentle caring lad that he was, my daughter his mother went spare when he came out and was upset that I wasnt!! both his granddad and I text him at UNI and told him we loved him, its just a pity that those nearest him didnt and took their time before they excepted it .

I cant understand though when to-day there is so much help with the child-line that these children who nearly all have phones :-S cant talk to some-one and share their hurt.

Archived