Topeak Joe Blow Sport II Bike Pump

johnlc

I've seen a few comments on this forum that people have found this bike pump acceptable for pumping up motorhome tyres. As I only have to reach 4 bar on my SWB Ducato (according to the Fiat manual and the converter), it sounds like this pump should be okay. I would also want to use it should I get an air assist suspension system.

However, I have not seen any comments about the accuracy of the gauge.

Could anyone confirm that the gauge is accurate?

Thanks

I have several of these Topeak pumps that are used for annual cycle events and have found that they almost always need new O'rings to be fitted before use each year. For that reason I would advise against them. I have a Specialized pump that gets used much more and after about 6 years has required no maintenance and produces higher pressures more quickly and with less effort. I also had to change the heads on all of the Topeak pumps because the original ones were pretty useless.

Nick

I had one and the gauge gave the same readings as a separate digital gauge, so it was probably accurate. But, I had a problem with the locking lever creeping loose....as did the person on the phone at Chain Reaction. So I sent it back and bought a Park Tool Home Mechanic which seems OK.

johnlc - 2014-04-02 5:59 PM..................

Could anyone confirm that the gauge is accurate?

Thanks

Definitively, no, but I would not be inclined to rely on it. I assume you in any case have a pressure gauge, to know a tyre needs inflating in the first place. IMO better to over inflate a bit with the track pump, and than drop the pressure to the correct level, using the same gauge as has been used for all other tyres. At least you then know the tyre pressures are consistent with one another.

Archived