Satellite Cable

rgh999

I need to make up a cable so that when I visit a site that has a fully serviced pitch with satellite connection I can link it into the motorhome. I currently have the connection box on the side of the van with provision for either ordinary aerial input or satellite aerial, so what connectors do I need at each end of the cable please.

F Type connectors have a screw on outer collar. You need to match the F type to the size of cable used, typically RG6. But several other sizes of coaxial cable can also be used for satellite connections.

...it may be worth having a little more information.

Conventionally, a satellite output will be (as stated), of the F-plug type.

Likewise, a standard digital/analogue terrestrial output will be of the concentric TV Coax outlet type.

You can carry either type of signal down a given cable, but to ensure best signal quality, it is best to use decent satellite quality cable. (RG6, or for longer runs possibly CT100/WF100).

If you carry a good single length of this, you can prepare yourself for either satellite or terrestrial hook-up by use of the same cable combined with coax to f-socket converters (or vice-versa).

So, choose the type of connection you are going to add to the end of your cable (I would suggest F-plug is probably better for security of fit), and buy a couple of F-Socket to coax converters (widely available, and linked to as an example below), to add when you are using a terrestrial hook-up. Simply screw one on both ends, and your satellite lead magically becomes a terrestrial lead.

http://www.rapidonline.com/Cables-Connectors/F-Socket-to-Coax-Plug-Adaptor-71297

Archived