Rimor Are they decent vans please anyone know ?

Pampam

Hello have been perusing eBay and seen a rimor motorhome on a ford transit base ,it's left hand drive so does that mean you have problems if anything goes wrong with it here in england ?and are rimor any good ? It's nearly 20 year old and is £8,500 and I thought it looked pretty good for the money ,or am I being totally stupid and unrealistic ?? Thanks pp :)

Guest pelmetman

I doubt there are many Transit parts that are left or right hand drive specific ;-)...................more of the issue would be which side of the ditch will you do most of your touring :-S.............

Guest JudgeMental

It's more or less only steering wheel set up that is different but still same parts, not really a concern...what would concern me with any used CB irrespective of brand or age, is water ingress, the state of seals and damp.... professional survey best bet.

Also there's no way it's going to be able to be driven through the ever increasing environmental zones. My mates 1999 Hymer falls into this bracket, and he can't even pop into see us in London when travelling to Dover. He finds it frustrating.

Buy in haste repent at leisure...

Pampam - 2014-04-04 10:41 PM

Hello have been perusing eBay and seen a rimor motorhome on a ford transit base ,it's left hand drive so does that mean you have problems if anything goes wrong with it here in england ?and are rimor any good ? It's nearly 20 year old and is £8,500 and I thought it looked pretty good for the money ,or am I being totally stupid and unrealistic ?? Thanks pp :)

No idea what Rimor are like but most van makers only supply parts for about ten years, however plenty of others around who will have the base vehicle bits. As with all coach built of any age getting body parts for the coach built section is another matter but again it can be done with a little searching. LHD can cause problems, it is not usually just a case of changing the steering column over, but again nothing that cannot be sorted out. I would get a good damp check, as has been said, check out the chassis and general bodywork condition carefully. their are plenty of vans running around that are 20 years old so not unrealistic at all.

Have a damp inspection done by someone who knows how to do it. (Ask on here for recommendations .)

Old vans that have been looked after can be a good buy, old vans that have damp and rot can be a nightmare. Spares can usually be obtained for even quite old vehicles, just don't expect your local dealer to carry any in stock!

What I am trying to say is that mechanics and many habitation repairs can be undertaken by yourself or any competent person, but damp and rot will not be easy to repair, and a damp van can cost more than the buying price to fix.

£8.500 is a bit much for a 20 year old but if the condition is good it could be worth it. I have no experience of Rimore but I see a lot of them about abroad including older ones so they can' t be that bad.

H

Pelmetman did not mention the work he had done to his Transit based van to deal with corrosion. At that age you would need to inspect thoroughly before buying, and be prepared to spend money to get any chassis corrosion remedied.

Rimor are Italian made, and quite a lot of their vans are used by hire firms, so they are probably reasonably tough. Whether they were initially made to last 20 years in the UK is a moot point, however! Damp check essential.

A number of Rimors had relatively slender payloads, and they were somewhat cagey over what the payload would be before purchase. If you plan to travel fully tooled up, it would be wise to get it weighed before buying, and check the result against its plated MAM.

I'd suggest you keep a few thousand in your pocket to deal with the almost inevitable problems 20 year old vehicles suffer.

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2014-04-05 7:02 PM

Pelmetman did not mention the work he had done to his Transit based van to deal with corrosion. At that age you would need to inspect thoroughly before buying, and be prepared to spend money to get any chassis corrosion remedied.

True enough Brian ;-)................but 1600 quid every 20 years seems reasonable to me, plus I do go over the top when it comes to looking after Horace :D..............and compared to just having a fault diagnosed on a Fiat gearbox 8-)..................a bargain B-)

Guest pelmetman

Is it the one in Lancashire Pam?............Photo's aren't particularly clear, but I note its had new wings, I would also want to check the front cross member ;-).............best to have a close look, but don't be put off by a bit of rust, as its unlikely to be serious looking at the pictures, I'd be more concerned with damp in the conversion part........

Being a Tranny the parts are cheap and plentiful for vehicles of that age and older, I should know I have two :D...........Payload shouldn't be an issue as it looks like a twin wheeler B-)....

Guest pelmetman
Found it................Warwickshire? ;-).................That one looks much tidier than the other one, and previous owner 10 years is a good sign................. a lot of van for the money, I suspect being a L/hooker keeps the price down ;-).................From here I'd say its a Bargain Banger that's well worth a look B-)..........

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2014-04-05 7:02 PM

I'd suggest you keep a few thousand in your pocket to deal with the almost inevitable problems 20 year old vehicles suffer.

Judging by recent threads on here Brian ;-)...............You might need to double that figure if buying nearly new 8-)

Thankyou everyone for all your advice i was awake till 1 am magnifying photos etc on ebay getting quite excited but when we got up for work and were having a cuppa in bed i showed my hubby the van on my ipad :- and received a very subdued response ....to old, LHD, & not enough time to use it (which is why we ended up getting rid of arapaho ) i know thats the sensible answer ........ But i just miss it ,i was picturing myself in the rimor next to a scottish loch this summer ,never mind :yes it does look nice doesnt it pelmetman? And no judge i wont be buying in haste as i have in the past lol :better half would rather we had a bit newer pvc : &would rather we wait awhile ,so ill be up all night looking on the ebay again:.... I used to read books lol thanks pp :))

Guest JudgeMental
Sounds like you're driving this, not a great recipe for harmony. For motorhoming to work both need to be reasonably enthusiastic, no good forcing someone into it, maybe your partners right, if you don't have the time, or him the inclination whats the point. Tell him from us many LHD van owners it really is not an issue. Maybe a multi purpose panel van conversion a better solution, no rot or damp to seriously worry about, easier to use and look after, you can then enjoy nights/weekends/weeks away etc....

Yes your right judge ,i enjoy any motorhome big or small old or young ,my husband enjoyed it when we had one ,but actually had had enough of things going wrong ,and never having time to go out in it (our work schedule)doesnt coincide that much :anyhow i think your right and a pvc will probably be our next step we always had vans as our only vehicle when we were self employed so we might go back to that except this one 'll have a loo and bed in it and i think ill keep saving so we can afford something a bit newer (some of the pvc are pretty ropey,lots of chipboard and wallcarpet yuk!) i enjoy looking :cheers pp:) ps i dont think you get as much damp in a pvc eh?

Guest JudgeMental

No and cleaning, driving etc..etc,,,.not such a chore either!. We never spend more than 40K on a van, as like long haul flights as well. The thought of a big expensive camper on the drive, unloved and unused and above all hemorrhaging money would do my head in.... :-D

Let me know if you want us to look out for a German van for you ;-)

Pam...

If the bulk of the reasons that you got rid of the other one still remain(i.e Lack of time and things going wrong etc),then apart from having less dosh tied up in something that's just sitting unused on the drive', I can't see how buying an older MH is really going to change/solve things...?

As Eddie said, maybe a more versatile "campervan/PVC", could be an answer..?....

I'm not for one minute knocking Dave's "Bargain Bangers" thread, it's just that you must remember that, although Dave's van is 20 odd years old, he has owned it for the last18-19 of them!

...and that is a lot different than buying something that is already at that age(...with it's umpteen owners etc..).. ;-)

Guest pelmetman
pepe63 - 2014-04-07 5:58 PM

I'm not for one minute knocking Dave's "Bargain Bangers" thread, it's just that you must remember that, although Dave's van is 20 odd years old, he has owned it for the last18-19 of them!

...and that is a lot different than buying something that is already at that age(...with it's umpteen owners etc..).. ;-)

Low owner campers that have been looked after like Horace do come on the market Pepe ;-)...............admittedly there is a lot of bangers out there that will not turn out to be bargains :-| .................but the ones I highlight, do on the face of it look to be in genuine good condition for their age, naturally the caveat applies that no one should buy one without going and looking at it first, preferably with someone who has some mechanical knowledge :D........

Yes i keep casting my line but hes not taking the bait !! Ill show him a nice van on ebay on my ipad ,and he'll then show me a faraway destination on his ipad,its like a game of cards lol ""ill match your pvc ,with a fortnight in mauritius : and beat it with an upgraded seaview"" lol . He loves long haul and while we had the van we couldnt afford to do both (with time & money ) so ill keep saving and looking and perhaps the vehicle will turn up what will suit us :i showed him a japanese import hiace but they are all automatic :which he is not keen on after comfortmatic fiasco in one of our vans ,although i dont suppose they are same as they are older ? I think ill open a thread and ask cheers pp. :)

Archived