CTEK Battery to battery charger with an Elekroblock EBL99?

betsy

Evening All,

I have a 2010 Burstner which came with two good quality German 95Ah leisure batteries. The 'van has its factory fitted Schaudt Elektroblock EBL99 (excuse spelling). I am thinking about fitting a 120 watt solar panel to extend my stays off hook-up (just back from 6 wonderful weeks in Portugal's motorhome aires etc, where my batteries generally lasted about 3 days before dropping to about 12.3v .

I also have a CTEK D250S DUAL battery to battery charger that I kept from my last 'van and I thought I might fit it at the same time. The CTEK unit also has the ability to act as a controller for a solar panel

The Schaudt unit seems pretty good to me and, I understand, it can also manage a solar panel.

My questions are:

Would it be worth wiring in the CTEK unit alongside the Schaudt EBL99?

If so, can anyone help/guide me with a wiring diagram/description of how to go about the task?

Many thanks, in advance, for any help.

With the Elektroblock you should use the Schaudt LR1218, use of any other regulator will cause problems causing the Elektroblock to shut down when on mains.

The LR1218 makes the wiring very easy just connect the panel to the LR1218 and use supplied loom to plug into Elektroblock job done, has the advantage it will charge the engine battery when leisure battery is charged. The LR1218 although a pwm regulator it performs almost as well as a mppt regulator, when the input is low it boosts the output voltage so you still get a charge when the voltage from the panel is as low as 13v.

Agree with Lenny, use the Schaudt solar reg it avoids lots of possible issues. I wouldn't bother fitting the CTEK unit, the Electroblok is a very good unit capable of charging at almost the same current as the CTEK so no real advantage but the potential for problems.

D.

Thanks very much for your obviously good advice, Lenny and David.

I have now done some follow- up research into the Schaudt solar controller that you recommended and it reflects everything that you said.

The CTEK unit, which served me very well in my last van, will now be added to the large pile of things that I must get around to advertising on Ebay.

Once again, thank you, gentlemen.

Archived