Disconnection of solar charger.

chas

Hi all, having recently installed a 90 watt solar panel which works great. I would like to disconnect the positive wire only, to the charge controller to isolate the solar panel because I will be on a site with EHU as standard for 1 week. The PWM Epsolar charge controller 10amp does have an electronic overload circuit ect , but rather than that keep resetting its self I would like to isolate it completely. My leisure battery will charge from the EHU, and I will use the mains power for water, and space heating.

I cannot see any problems in doing this, but perhaps someone may advise against it, I don't want to do any damage to the electronics, being new to solar panels.

Thanks for any advise.

Dave Newell - 2014-04-08 12:01 PM

Completely un-necessary to disconnect the panel. The solar regulator will "see" the battery as fully charged and simply switch off. Don't waste your time disconnecting the panel.

D.

Agreed that it is completely unnecessary to disconnect the solar panel. However there is a small mistake in Dave Newell's reply above, in that the solar regulator will see the battery not as fully charged, it will only see it as being at the voltage of the mains power unit (usually about 13.6 to 13.8 volts).

Given that these regulators work on a 28 day cycle, it will still follow this routine when you are on mains. The effect will be that the regulator will, from time-to-time, try to raise the battery voltage up to the maximum value for whatever type it is (usually 14.7 volts for a flooded lead-acid type). There is no harm in this and you should not attempt to disconnect the panel when on mains.

I do not disagree with any of the above.

When on HU does the mains charger automatically switch on or do you have to switch it on?

I have a similar set up as you and have not needed the mains charger as solar panel is maintaining a sufficient charge. Also if you are on HU how much are you going to take out of the leisure battery/s?

My TV is mains, fridge is on mains and table light is mains. Leisure battery only used very intermittently for toilet so very little draw.

would it not be easier to take out the fuse (if one is fitted) on the feed side of the Solar Panel controller to the Batteries, ? failing that, cover the top of the solar Panel with a black plastic bag to stop the light rays falling on the solar panel. thus no output.

spospe - 2014-04-08 5:24 PM

Dave Newell - 2014-04-08 12:01 PM

Completely un-necessary to disconnect the panel. The solar regulator will "see" the battery as fully charged and simply switch off. Don't waste your time disconnecting the panel.

D.

Agreed that it is completely unnecessary to disconnect the solar panel. However there is a small mistake in Dave Newell's reply above, in that the solar regulator will see the battery not as fully charged, it will only see it as being at the voltage of the mains power unit (usually about 13.6 to 13.8 volts).

Given that these regulators work on a 28 day cycle, it will still follow this routine when you are on mains. The effect will be that the regulator will, from time-to-time, try to raise the battery voltage up to the maximum value for whatever type it is (usually 14.7 volts for a flooded lead-acid type). There is no harm in this and you should not attempt to disconnect the panel when on mains.

What 28 day cycle? They're not lunar regulators! I've yet to see a solar reg with any kind of timer or calendar built in, most are pretty simple affairs that will switch to "float mode" when the battery voltage reachs a pre determined level, usually around 14 volts but the exact figure may vary according to manufacturer. "Float mode" simply switches the reg output off at the highest voltage setting, usually 14.2 -14.4 volts, it will then typically cut in again at around 13.7-13.8 volts.

D.

Dave Newell - 2014-04-09 6:54 AM

What 28 day cycle? They're not lunar regulators! I've yet to see a solar reg with any kind of timer or calendar built in,

D.

My present regulator (an Epsolar) has a 28 day cycle built in to it and the one on the previous van (a Steca) had a 30 day cycle.

The idea is that the batteries can have a regular maintenance regime with float, boost and equalisation charges in a regular cycle.

The Epsolar regulator has a true calendar function (it can display the time and date), but the Steca worked by counting the days by way of noticing when it went from day to night (this used to cause a bit of a problem when driving through unlit tunnels, as it counted a tunnel as a 'night' and thus lost track of the true passage of time).

Thanks for all the info, my Epsolar charge regulator as neither 28 day cycle or has time date function on it or mention of said in instruction manual. It also does not have a suitable fuse fitted between the panel and regulator,also there is no way I will be trying to climb up onto the roof to cover the panel over either :D

My main concern was that with mains HU as well as solar power it might (fry) my leisure battery even though I also have a battery mate type gubbins that cuts in when the leisure battery reaches aprox 13.6v and then trickle charges the starter battery.

I think I will leave well alone as Dave Newell suggests and let things look after them selves. Its not often I use EHU as most of my preferred sites don't have it anyway, and the rip off prices now being asked by the C.C.C will not now be needed. Thanks all for input. B-)

spospe - 2014-04-09 10:54 AM

Dave Newell - 2014-04-09 6:54 AM

What 28 day cycle? They're not lunar regulators! I've yet to see a solar reg with any kind of timer or calendar built in,

D.

My present regulator (an Epsolar) has a 28 day cycle built in to it and the one on the previous van (a Steca) had a 30 day cycle.

The idea is that the batteries can have a regular maintenance regime with float, boost and equalisation charges in a regular cycle.

The Epsolar regulator has a true calendar function (it can display the time and date), but the Steca worked by counting the days by way of noticing when it went from day to night (this used to cause a bit of a problem when driving through unlit tunnels, as it counted a tunnel as a 'night' and thus lost track of the true passage of time).

Can you provide a link to this type of regulator please as I've never come across one before.

Thanks in advance, D.

This thread has made me wonder. I have a solar charger which works fine & does its job. Where would I find the regulator & what does it look like? Would a fuse be present?

It may be that it is incorporated into the control panel which is where the display for Amps is.

I am not aware of any mysterious boxes anywhere else in our motorhome.

Spospe

I to have an epsolar regulator with a 120 watt panel and two 110 ah batteries. What parameters is yours set to under rated value?

My two batteries total 220 ah and this is what I have set mine to. Because it is not a single battery I wonder if the rating should be set to 110ah.

According to the handbook every month the regulator goes through a period of equalising charge, but I am not sure what this is.

Dave Newell - 2014-04-09 12:30 PM

Can you provide a link to this type of regulator please as I've never come across one before.

Thanks in advance, D.

Dave, if you take a look at: http://www.epsolarpv.com/en/ this will give you the main website for the Chinese based firm of Epsolar

and

specifically: http://www.epsolarpv.com/en/uploads/news/201310/1382336681418510.pdf as this is the model which I am currently using.

The Steca model which I previously used was the PR1010 and this can be seen at:

http://www.steca.com/index.php?Steca_PR_10_30_en

Note: with both these makes of controller it is vital to connect the battery first before the solar panel, if this is not done there is a risk that the controller will set itself to 24 volt and thus fry the 12 volt battery.

JohnP - 2014-04-09 2:17 PM

Spospe

I to have an epsolar regulator with a 120 watt panel and two 110 ah batteries. What parameters is yours set to under rated value?

My two batteries total 220 ah and this is what I have set mine to. Because it is not a single battery I wonder if the rating should be set to 110ah.

According to the handbook every month the regulator goes through a period of equalising charge, but I am not sure what this is.

John

1) You are correct to set your controller to 220 ah.

2) An equalising charge is when the battery is 'overdriven' a little in order to make sure that all the cells are charged up to their maximum capacity (so that all cells are 'equal')

Archived