towbars

bobbo

Can anyone advise, our motorhome is a Niesmann & Bischoff ARTO 59 which has fairly low slung GRP bodywork and the tarmac drive to our house rises up in a gentle curve but it still hits the towbar which we fitted. Any ideas which may help would be greatly appreciated.

This is a perennial problem with coach built motorhomes with long overhangs behind the rear wheels. Unfortunately there is no simple solution as the tow ball has to be at a specific height above ground (within a small + or -) otherwise the trailer nose or tail hits the ground instead. Even a detachable tow ball doesn't really help as the electrical connections are still fixed in place. Sorry to be so negative. Backing up the drive may help, but you'll probably have the same problem when exiting. We could never get our Mobilvetta on the Hovercraft because the ramp was too steep and too sudden a change of gradient. So for others: if you plan on towing, be very wary of long overhangs!!

How about a couple of home made ramps to to put down when you come & go.You should be able to draw a scale diagram to give an idea on shape size & length needed to clear the towbar at the point of contact with the road.Possibly load or unload the boot outside in the road before going onto the drive!! (?)

Hi, You may be able to fit airsprings to the back of the van. I have them fitted to mine because of the same problem.

I can adjust the pressure in seconds and raise or lower the back 3 inches. It also improves the ride when loaded ( not overloaded )

I was also worried if we grounded when getting on and of the ferry

Hi Bobbo, nice to know there is another N+B owner on the forum. Our Clou has a tow bar and the designers obviously knew about the grounding problems as they have fitted two heavy duty wear rollers on the sides which take the punishment. Not quite sure what happens when they wear away though!! This grounding is a permant problem with entry on and off roads I suffered more towing a caravan (Naughty word sorry) than I do now with the MH, but you really need to have your eyes peeled when approaching site entrances. At least you can do something about your own home entrance VoH

Archived