Fablon

Vic

Can anyone advise me as to the best method of removing Fablon from a Perspex window? I applied some to the window of my motorhome door. During the summer it must have baked on, and come the winter it (the Fablon) cracked like crazy paving. I want to avoid damaging the Perspex.

Vic - 2014-04-10 8:19 AM

Can anyone advise me as to the best method of removing Fablon from a Perspex window? I applied some to the window of my motorhome door. During the summer it must have baked on, and come the winter it (the Fablon) cracked like crazy paving. I want to avoid damaging the Perspex.

I have a horrible feeling Vic, that Fablon and Perspex are not a good mix - once applied the glue etches into the perspex - The reason why it has cracked is because it has formed a permanent bond to the window surface - but I suggest you contact the window manufacturer and also the Fablon manufacturer to confirm.

Hope I am wrong!

We are up your way later in the year - booked in at Yaxham Waters as there is quite a family gathering.

The windows are acrylic perspex which is to a degree porous, and as said the adhesive has probably migrated into the surface, white spirit is your best bet, get as much off as you can then polish with a mopping bonnet (car polisher) using perspex polish start with a course grade then medium finish with fine. With any luck it will come up like new.

A few years ago a number of tuggers covered their windows with clingfilm. This reacted with and damaged the surface of the windows. It was almost impossible to remove the film after it had been on for a few months over winter.

Yes I heard of this - it was the perceived wisdom of some who used caravan covers in the winter months and who then suffered scuffing on the windows when the cover moved with the wind.

Cling film seemed like a good idea at the time to protect the window outer surface

As you say - sadly some cling-fims bonded to the acrylic windows.

Whilst it was possible to buff them back - the structure of the acrylic seemed to have changed in that afterwards - when looking through the window - there were stress lines crazing the inner surface.

Possibly due to the pressure and friction of the buffing process?

Acrylic windows can be polished up using very fine wet and dry. The RAF use it for polishing visors as do motor cyclists. You can buy small packs of mixed up grades on Ebay, something like 800 grit to 2400 grit. Start with the coarsest and work down to the finest, then finish off with an acrylic polish like window wise. I used this method to take a gouge out if my side window very effectively.

Guest peter
Motorcyclists most certainly do not use wet and dry to polish visors. Diamond polish maybe, or buy a new visor with a lot less hassle.

peter - 2014-04-23 9:12 PM

Motorcyclists most certainly do not use wet and dry to polish visors. Diamond polish maybe, or buy a new visor with a lot less hassle.

I assure you they do. Maybe not in the circles you move in. Do not speak for eveyone.

Cliffy - 2014-04-22 9:08 PMAcrylic windows can be polished up using very fine wet and dry. The RAF use it for polishing visors as do motor cyclists. You can buy small packs of mixed up grades on Ebay, something like 800 grit to 2400 grit. Start with the coarsest and work down to the finest, then finish off with an acrylic polish like window wise. I used this method to take a gouge out if my side window very effectively.

Never met one yet who uses wet/dry on a visor and I've been a biker for over 40 years.  And the RAF don't use it either.  I had a 'bone dome' for over 18 years (C130 crew) and if my visor was scratched it was replaced and the scratched one scrapped not 'polished out'.  Clear unobstructed vision is an essential for flying work hence any damaged/scratched visors are scrapped.  Can you imagine the potential disaster if the pilots/aircrew vision was obstructed/distorted by fine/minute scratches at any time in flight? 

Back to the OP.....the adhesive on the 'fablon' has as has already been said probably 'etched' itself into the window and getting it off cleanly will be a tough job.  Once off there are rubbing compounds you could use to restore the surface but it is highly likely that the damage done will result in never having a 'clear vision' window restored.

RogerC - 2014-04-23 9:47 PM
Cliffy - 2014-04-22 9:08 PMAcrylic windows can be polished up using very fine wet and dry. The RAF use it for polishing visors as do motor cyclists. You can buy small packs of mixed up grades on Ebay, something like 800 grit to 2400 grit. Start with the coarsest and work down to the finest, then finish off with an acrylic polish like window wise. I used this method to take a gouge out if my side window very effectively.

Never met one yet who uses wet/dry on a visor and I've been a biker for over 40 years.  And the RAF don't use it either.  I had a 'bone dome' for over 18 years (C130 crew) and if my visor was scratched it was replaced and the scratched one scrapped not 'polished out'.  Clear unobstructed vision is an essential for flying work hence any damaged/scratched visors are scrapped.  Can you imagine the potential disaster if the pilots/aircrew vision was obstructed/distorted by fine/minute scratches at any time in flight? 

Back to the OP.....the adhesive on the 'fablon' has as has already been said probably 'etched' itself into the window and getting it off cleanly will be a tough job.  Once off there are rubbing compounds you could use to restore the surface but it is highly likely that the damage done will result in never having a 'clear vision' window restored.

All I can say is I was given some wet and dry as described by an ex RAF engineer who now restores motor bikes, I have used it on my side window and it worked perfectly, if the OP or anyone else does not want to give it a try that's up to them. I thought the purpose of this forum was to share experience.

Archived