Buying private..inspection companies

stevec

We're looking to buy our first motorhome and have seen one advertised privately at a good price. We would consider having an independant inspection done but would like to use a reputable company. Has anyone done this before and are some companies better than others. We are also considering buying a warranty of some sort. We have no experience of these so any feedback from people who do would be appreciated. The MH seller is 90 miles away so not exactly local and I have no idea of companies offering inspection services in his area.

We have seen similar MHs in dealers (again not local) but is paying several thousand pounds more worth the peace of mind of buying through a dealer (if such a thing exists!). I have been reading the existing thread on private/trade purchase. Seems opinion is split on this.

Guest JudgeMental

I just used DEKRA who are a Europe wide inspection company. I think you will find one of our main motoring organisation use them. I was only worried about the vehicle side as it was a 10 month old PVC, but they do motorhome surveys as well I believe. very proffesional, mine came back as vehicle as good as new with no issues. only cost the equivalent of £100 so a bargain, but motorhome surveys will be considerably more in the UK, but what cost peace of mind...

https://www.dekra-expert.co.uk/

https://www.dekra-expert.co.uk/vehicle.inspections/national.vehicle.inspections.uk/motorhome.inspection

there are other companies discussed on this MHF thread:

http://www.motorhomefacts.com/ftoptitle-90898-motorhome-inspections-aa-rac-dekra-which-one.html

Thanks for the info. I have just spoken to DEKRA who stated that they do not do any habitation checks. That is the area that I am most concerned about. I believe MACIC do the whole lot. I will give them a call.

Guest JudgeMental

Yes they were mentioned on MHF link, you are being sensible and doing the right thing....check the weight/ available payload as well, to make sure its a practical van in use!

would rather lose a few quid then end up with a dog of a van.....would forget about 3rd party warranties, most not worth the paper they are written on. Just look at the savings you have made as a fund against future problems

Guest JudgeMental
stevec - 2014-04-10 10:45 AM

I've never taken a warranty out on any cars I have bought so a MH should be no different. Guess I'm just a bit nervous about water ingress.

The payload for this particular van is about 470kg.

And so you should be! but you're doing the right things unlike many...

how do you know its 470 kg without a weighbridge recept.

The manual says it's 470kg maximum payload . (MTPLM - MIRO). But that has to include the passenger (perhaps the wife can take the train!) and any carried water. But I do find all these different quoted weights a bit confusing.

Do your homework - see my recent post !!!

Some makes are far more prone to ingress than others, so if you have a 'van in mind, check it out on the internet.

I have never purchased from a dealer - IMO, the warranties provided only give minimal recourse if you have a problem.

stevec,

Worth travelling the 90 miles for a look I would think to assess the seller as much as the M/H. It may be a cherished family purchase or someone passing it on. How good are you at judging people?

Suggest the seller has it checked as part of the purchase price.

If they refuse it could be a doubtful buy unless there is a good reason, perhaps a health issue with the driver.

Guest JudgeMental

what...you mean you have not been to see it *-) 90 miles whats that! jump on a train, and get them to pick you up in van if you don't fancy driving :-S

check how many owners and how long the seller has had it, that will mean looking at ID. check that all this OK with him..good way of finding out if its a genuine sale. what year and budget are you looking for, hope its not one of the "fast flying bird" variety :D

Not seen it yet in the flesh...just soem photographs...have to wait until the weekend....still have to earn the pennies you know. But wanting to get my self informed beforehand. Two owners...last one since 2009. Owner looking to get larger van to accomodate his grandchildren. It's not of the "fast flying bird" by name. Did consider one but low payload (220kg). It's an Elddis. Very similar layout. Peugeot chassis. Do I need to worry about them as a manufacturer?

stevec - 2014-04-10 10:46 PM

Elddis. Very similar layout. Peugeot chassis. Do I need to worry about them as a manufacturer?

Yes notorious for bare wood around wheel arches and along floor edge behind skirt, they are a budget van and it shows in the build quality. Check very carefully around floor edges for damp have a good crawl and poke underneath.

Probably better to spend your cash on an older van with a better reputation.

Thats unfortunate! We're looking for a 2 berth, end kitchen van easy to drive, under 6 metres long and 2.25 metres wide, so were looking at the modern Fiat/Peugeot cabs post 2006. Budget of 25k. The Swift and Elddis models seem popular. Bessacar do one but they are Swift group. We've not found many others. If members can suggest anything else that fits our requirements we would be pleased to hear. The Elddis model we are interest in has won MMM and CCC awards (but maybe not as a used van!l.

Guest JudgeMental

Don't like end kitchens, that's potentially a lot of weight on rear axle, would be concerned about handling as well. Really want weight between axles.

Sorry but would not touch any manufacturer you mention with a barge pole.

Your going to be paying out for a good few surveys before you find a good one if such a thing exists!

Guest pelmetman
stevec - 2014-04-11 6:56 AM

Thats unfortunate! We're looking for a 2 berth, end kitchen van easy to drive, under 6 metres long and 2.25 metres wide, so were looking at the modern Fiat/Peugeot cabs post 2006. Budget of 25k. The Swift and Elddis models seem popular. Bessacar do one but they are Swift group. We've not found many others. If members can suggest anything else that fits our requirements we would be pleased to hear. The Elddis model we are interest in has won MMM and CCC awards (but maybe not as a used van!l.

If you want bombproof build quality with that layout, then I'd add GRP Autosleeper to your list ;-) ........

Steve..

We, prior to being "forum informed", naively(stupidly! :$ )bought an '07 Compass/Elddis 120 Suntor (then about, 1/8-24 months old?)..

We were aware that it was a "Budget" model and on the face of it, it seemed a tidy enough unit and quite well equipped BUT behind the scenes it was a cheap'n'nasty, staple-gunned-together piece of tat!(..there is no reason why a "Budget" range needs to be so poorly constructed!).

We had bed laths snap/split through knots, the water filler hose chaffed through on the rough edge on the rear of the cupboard carcass(..I spent ages re-routing cables and pipes, just so they didn't rub. I also had to form covers/conduit for those that were just "draped" through the storage locker).

Ours was also showing signs of corrosion/blistering on the lower outer side panels(at about 3years)...and looking underneath at some of the "timberwork", well...I've used better quality "battens" for kindling..!

And although it was still under warranty, trying to it get it actually sorted was a drawn out pain in the ar*e...that never did look like it was ever going get properly addressed...So we ended up trading it in(got rid..!)

Don't just take our word for it, here are a couple of previous threads:

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/ELDDIS-AUTOQUEST-2010-ALLOY-CORROSION-AND-WOOD-ROT/33446/

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Corrosion-of-body-work-on-Elddis-Autoquest-100/32495/

My advice would be to steer well clear(..maybe look at a slightly older, far better quality brand/model..)

What ever you do, it needs a decent damp check and it needs a *weighbridge ticket before a sale takes place(checking both axles individually), so you can assess the ACTUAL(NOT "brochure stated") payload..

(*and if a seller/dealer won't take their vehicle to a local weighbridge and spend the 7-10 quid it costs, then they are hiding something).

Hope this helps ;-)

(apologies if it's just repeated what has already been said or what your are already aware of...).

Steve..

For balance, we didn't have any problems with our Elddis. Cracking little van for the money.

4 years of year-round use in soggy Scotland, 30000 miles and it cost us £600 p.a. in depreciation buying and selling privately.

Sold with a clear conscience (no need to 'get rid!' here) and absolutely no damp issues to our neighbour who is now getting the same enjoyment that we did.

Changing to an all-composite construction German-built van of the same layout and practically the same size required us to almost treble our investment. Is it 3 times better? Absolutely not.

With your budget, providing you check everything out as you intend to, I wouldn't rule out the Elddis.

Just take things in balance - they love to get stuck into their pet hates on here.

Well, if advising someone to steer clear of something that, based on first hand experience, has the potential for the panels to corrode (and from the inside out and at just 3 years of age), is getting "stuck into a pet hate", then so be it....

(I presume the chaps in those links, just have "pet hates" as well then...)...

The OP can check as much as he likes but poor materials, poor build techniques and poor execution, don't tend to get better with age.... ;-)

I think Pepe63 comment sums it up pretty well, about 5 years ago my brother in-law brought an Elddis he had always had PVC's. He was so appalled at the build quality he got rid of it in under a year.

When selling my Hymer one couple looking at it couldn't get there head around the fact I was asking as much for a nearly 6 year old Hymer that they could buy a new Elddis for. They will find out why the hard way.

I agree with Eddie about rear kitchens, by the time you have loaded up with pots & pans crockery & food plus bikes on a rack on the back you are in serious danger of overloading the read axle. Storage space is also limited with rear kitchen layouts.

I like end kitchens. You are out of the way when cooking. My food is in a cupbourd close to the wheel.

Having the sink/cooker close to the furnishings, where you could splash the material , personally don't think a good idea.

A bit like kitchen desigh in house's, designed by MEN, when it is the usually the Female who spends most time in it!!

Had my rant

PJay

pepe63 - 2014-04-11 10:40 AM

Well, if advising someone to steer clear of something that, based on first hand experience, has the potential for the panels to corrode (and from the inside out and at just 3 years of age), is getting "stuck into a pet hate", then so be it....

(I presume the chaps in those links, just have "pet hates" as well then...)...

The OP can check as much as he likes but poor materials, poor build techniques and poor execution, don't tend to get better with age.... ;-)

You need to look back at some of your old posts and then you might see how Elddis has indeed become your pet hate.

Your above-mentioned "cheap'n'nasty, staple-gunned-together piece of tat" was, back in November 2010 with you having already 'gotten-rid' by that time, a "neat and tidy unit .. a little rough around the edges tho" ;-)

PJay - 2014-04-11 1:15 PM

I like end kitchens. You are out of the way when cooking. My food is in a cupbourd close to the wheel.

Having the sink/cooker close to the furnishings, where you could splash the material , personally don't think a good idea.

A bit like kitchen desigh in house's, designed by MEN, when it is the usually the Female who spends most time in it!!

Had my rant

PJay

A lot of what you say Pauline is true but it plays havoc with rear axle loads, one van that does seem to work with a rear kitchen is the Hymer B544 but in OP's budget he would be looking at one 5 years older than he would like.

Steve928 - 2014-04-11 2:01 PM

Your above-mentioned "cheap'n'nasty, staple-gunned-together piece of tat" was, back in November 2010 with you having already 'gotten-rid' by that time...

Well, as I was correct back then, I can see no reason to change my view?(..or do you believe that they improve with age?)

....it's just that I'm not to proud to admit that I made a mistake when I purchased one.. ;-)

Archived