Fiat 2.8TDI (1999) gear cables help

helen23

We have been having problems with 5th gear, which I gather is not uncommon. Our garage has been trying to locate gear cables which Fiat says are now obsolete. The garage is reluctant to have copied the ones currently in the motorhome in case they end up copying a fault. Does anyone know where we might be able to obtain the following brand new cables: 132 969 7080 and 132 969 8080?

Here's hoping...

Hello Helen,

Looking at the Fiat parts disc, I am not convinced that both of those numbers are correct for your vehicle. It looks to like if the 7080 is correct, you need a 6080 and not a 8080 to go with it. If you would like to send me a private message with your full chassis number I will gladly have a look for you. My system suggests that these cables are still available from Fiat.

In addition, I should add that even at this age it is very unusual to have a problem with the cables themselves. What more commonly happens is that the gear lever seems closer to the steering wheel than it should when engaging 5th gear and this is because the bracket that holds the selector assembly has a split in it. We have often welded a bolt in the gap to repair it and make it stronger. If you have a 'loose' selector it would be worth lifting the gaiter up and looking if you can see more movement in the metal frame than there ought to be. The crack and the way it opens when you try to select reverse or 5th gear is usually quite visible.

Nick

Archived