Just had my van weighed

dicksob

When we ordered our new IH Tio RL, I pondered whether to get the chassis upgraded from 3500kg given we had ordered the 3 litre auto box and had put a big spec on the van. In the end Nigel at IH got SV tech to upgrade to 4000kg which gives me 2100 on front axle and 2400 on the rear. We also carry 2 electric bikes on a tow bar carrier. While I thought we would be ok I hadn't got it weighed properly till today.

So setting off for Germany today for 10 days, fully loaded, full tank, full water tanks, bikes on rack stopped off at VOSA truck check point on the M74 and cheekily asked them to weigh the van. After a bit of good natured banter, we got weighed for free.

Results

Front axle 1860

Rear axle. 1790

Total weight 3650

So, think I'm relieved, got plenty of scope on both axles, is that right? Need to try and sort tyre pressures out now, same as Eddies on the other thread, any suggestions please, will contact Continental for advice. Views and advice welcome!

I am amazed your front axle is heavier than your rear. Not very common I would have thought.

edit - just had a look at the model, has yours got the rear lounge, and along withtanks well forward and long wheel base might explain the heavier front. At least you will get decent grip with front wheel drive.

Nice Motorhome.

Good result. I would say with that spec and weight distribution you could get away with a rack and scooter on the back of that. Good for you for being forward thinking both with the payload and getting it weighed by VOSA. Wonder what they would have done if you had been over though! :-D

Brambles - 2014-04-11 8:33 PM

I am amazed your front axle is heavier than your rear. Not very common I would have thought.

edit - just had a look at the model, has yours got the rear lounge, and along withtanks well forward and long wheel base might explain the heavier front. At least you will get decent grip with front wheel drive.

Nice Motorhome.

Not that unusual for a PVC, the early x2/50 Adria Twins on 3.3t chassis are prone to overload front axle on full tanks

Guest JudgeMental
Brambles - 2014-04-11 8:33 PM

I'm not! A 3 litre auto on a maxi chassis? And if water tank up front you can imagine the number of 3500 kg overweight vans out there..Not just CB's that suffer from this, but I do think European vans better in this respect, as built with weight in mind, and lighter materials......

dicksob - 2014-04-11 7:23 PM

Results

Front axle 1860

Rear axle. 1790

Total weight 3650

So, think I'm relieved, got plenty of scope on both axles, is that right? Need to try and sort tyre pressures out now, same as Eddies on the other thread, any suggestions please, will contact Continental for advice. Views and advice welcome!

As I posted on Eddie's thread, we use 60psi front and rear, this allows for each axle to be up to 2tonne.

Guest JudgeMental
dicksob - 2014-04-11 7:23 PM

When we ordered our new IH Tio RL, I pondered whether to get the chassis upgraded from 3500kg given we had ordered the 3 litre auto box and had put a big spec on the van. In the end Nigel at IH got SV tech to upgrade to 4000kg which gives me 2100 on front axle and 2400 on the rear. We also carry 2 electric bikes on a tow bar carrier. While I thought we would be ok I hadn't got it weighed properly till today.

So setting off for Germany today for 10 days, fully loaded, full tank, full water tanks, bikes on rack stopped off at VOSA truck check point on the M74 and cheekily asked them to weigh the van. After a bit of good natured banter, we got weighed for free.

Results

Front axle 1860

Rear axle. 1790

Total weight 3650

your axles the same capacity as they were, stock maxi capacity. but you are now 4000 instead of 3500. if you look on my thread you referred to, Derek printed weights and tyre pressures on there..actually just found them...Have a great trip! :-D

1725 - 3.0

1835 - 3.25

1950 - 3.5

2060 - 3.75

2170 - 4.0

2275 - 4.25

2385 - 4.5

2490 - 4.75

2595 - 5.0

2695 - 5.25

2800 - 5.5

2900 - 5.75

Continental are pretty good at publishing their technical data (and then making it a pig to find on their website - particulalrly the English one).

If you download the first technical handbook (no. 6) from here:

http://www.continental-tyres.co.uk/www/tyres_uk_en/general/tech_services_uk/library_reference.html

...then, by reference to your particular tyre and specifically size, profile and load index, you should be able to determine your optimum pressure(s) from the tables held therein.

(Van tyres from page 66, and the online pagination split makes it less than easy to follow across what would be a facing (paper) page for the pressure tables).

Eddie, thanks for reminder on pressures, will reset and experiment while away. Also thank you for advice on electric bikes, part of reason foe German trip, Helen still keen on Koga, think she must have Dutch blood in her heritage! Will look for new bike for myself though.

Brambles, thanks for comment, was also surprised at front/back weights, but as you say rear lounge and tanks full, have to say van cruises comfortably at 80/85 on motorway so road holding adequate.

Barry, guys at VOSA did (jokingly) ask if I really wanted them to weigh me, thought I might be over 3500kg, said they would shut their eyes to the screen! Think they were surprised that anyone was actively seeking out their weights!

Colin thanks for advice, will try 60 psi and see how it feels.

This is why this is a great forum, for those of us with limited technical knowledge, it's great to get advice. Also great to deal with IH, their honesty on what weights I needed and the upgrade price, about £2/300, was really good, they could have left me with usable but difficult payload choices. This us our 4th van from them, we know Ian and Nicola well and they are super to deal with.

Barry, we gave thought to buying either a 50cc vespa or honda innova ( both under 100kg) on a rear tow bar rack for occasional use. Do you think this would work ok? Sometimes this would work better for us than electric bikes, would need to be 50cc for license, couldn't face another test at my age! Would it work ok 2 up, don't expect great performance, just potterability!

Hi,

We weighed our 3300kg plated Adria Twin last year and with the water tank full but fuel only half full it gave us 3060Kg total 1620kg  front  (plate 1750kg) and 1440kg rear (plate 1900kg)

I have kept with the Bridgestone Duravis tyres as originally supplied and have just replaced the front pair at 31000 miles (originally they were on the rear which were hardly worn after 20,000 miles and have only replaced them due to age after 6.5 years with 4mm tread left.

I run them at 55/57psi and they are rated at 65psi max. Any higher pressures and it's too bouncy on the rear.

Using the Continental data sheet I plotted a graph of PSI vs axle load for 215/70 R15 107 vancos and for my axle weights they came out at below 50 psi which seemed a bit low.

Steve

dicksob - 2014-04-11 11:02 PM

Barry, we gave thought to buying either a 50cc vespa or honda innova ( both under 100kg) on a rear tow bar rack for occasional use. Do you think this would work ok? Sometimes this would work better for us than electric bikes, would need to be 50cc for license, couldn't face another test at my age! Would it work ok 2 up, don't expect great performance, just potterability!

There are a few people that have 50cc bikes. As long as you dont expect much two up then it will be fine for back roads and tootling around the general area. It can make a big difference to where you stay as often the nicest (and cheapest) CL's, Aires, Stellplatz etc are a few miles out of the towns, beaches or places you want to be so it just gives you that bit more scope. I would tend to avoid fast A roads on a smaller bike and obviously in the Alps its going to struggle but I would say its worth it and if you do get into it you might be pursuaded to take the test and go for something bigger.

When we changed vans last time to our Bolero, we called in at the VOSA weighbridge of the Tiverton junction M5 prior to our first continental trip in that van. The guys were very helpful, pleased that a 'consciencious' MH owner was teying to get it right before dashing off half cocked....no charge, well under weights, big smiles all round. Well worth the ten minutes to get yourself sorted.

As well as weighing front and rear axles it's also interesting to know the individual weight on each wheel. I have a 3 litre Comfortmatic and was surprised to find that unladen the front nearside wheel carried a load 150kg greater than the offside front. Whilst it appeared that there was spare load capacity on the front axle the nearside front tyre was close to 90% of its index load capacity.

Weighed our Trigano Tribute (550type) recently. Continental advised these tyres and pressures.

205/70 R15 106R Continental ContiVanContact 100

Front Axle @ 1530 kg = 3.50 bar / 50.7 psi

Rear Axle @ 1250 kg = 3.00 bar / 43.5 psi

Full tank water, half tank fuel. No luggage or passenger.

Clearly some vans are much lighter than others.

CPeachey - 2014-04-14 5:40 PM

Weighed our Trigano Tribute (550type) recently. Continental advised these tyres and pressures.

205/70 R15 106R Continental ContiVanContact 100

Front Axle @ 1530 kg = 3.50 bar / 50.7 psi

Rear Axle @ 1250 kg = 3.00 bar / 43.5 psi

Full tank water, half tank fuel. No luggage or passenger.

Clearly some vans are much lighter than others.

Without a full load those figures don't mean much.

Archived