Which is your Best Motorhome Accessory?

StuartO

We have added stuff gradually over the years and during that period technology and innovation has taken things forward quite a long way, so my "best toy" has changed.

We ordered the MH new (2006, Hymer B674, 7m long and 3,900 kg max weight, 1,600 kg towing capacity) with twin single beds, an Omnistor awning, slide-up TV aerial, roof aircon, cruise control, an extra roof ight over the front bed and tow bar. We've since added a microwave/combination oven, spare toilet cassette, LPG generator, satnav, a satellite aerial (tripod on the ground followed by an automatic roof aerial in a dome, much better) a 130 watt solar panel. Our radio died so we replaced it with a digital version.

The cruise control is great and feels worth the extra money. The awning has sometimes been extremely useful but is it worth the payload, I'm not sure. Our lightweight porch awning is worth carrying for when we're in UK in the rain.

We have used the roof aircon when hooked up to mains in a hot place and it's been a blessing but it's too noisy for the OH overnight and relatively rarely gets used and on balance isn't worth its cost or payload contribution. The Windbloker sheet we got last year is still on probabtion but at least it's light.

The slide-up TV aerial rarely gets used so I would settle for satellite aerial only if doing it again from scratch - and a blob on the roof rather than a tripod rig. We have two TVs on board which allows us to watch Sky News while waking up to a a cup of tea in bed and those are worth their weight.

The spare toilet cassette has rarely been used but it's light enough and gives comfort as a contingency. The little trolley to cart the full cassette isn't worth house room so it now gets left behind. So does the Waste Hog in favour of an extra length of plastic waste pipe to reach the drain or the hedges more easily..

Same with the generator which rarely got used, was slow to charge batteries up anyway and is very heavy. It stays at home as a standby for power cuts now we have a solar panel. That works superbly and keeps our leisure battery topped up without needing to connect to mains at all.

Sat nav is pretty much essential, especially for finding Aires from "All the Aires" but I would always go for a separate device plonked on the dashboard rather than anything plumbed in. Garmin has always worked well for us.

We do have a Tassimo coffee machine which needs mains voltage but I'm thinking of installing an inverter for that alone - we do like our posh coffee!

That will make us sound self-indulgent by many peope's standards but what the heck, any fool can be uncomfortable!

So the least value and worst weight accessory is probably the roof air con and the best value least weight (of the non-essentials) is probably the solar panel. Cruise control is pretty good and choosing single beds has worked well for us.

Keeping the same motorhome for eight years so far has probably saved us a lot in depreciation and we're still happy with it. We've looked at changing but not been tempted enough to do it yet. I estimate that it would cost us well over £5,000 just to replace the accessories if we changed it.

What are your priorities and favourites?

Stu,

you haven't mentioned the wife or lady passenger, another pair of eyes and a fair reader of maps, that's my fair choice of accessory, both for priority and a favourite on long distances.

I wonder why you need to go home, you have everything ?

Will

We are between vans at the moment but we are picking up the new one on the 28th, it will take a couple of weeks to get it registered.

So before it goes on the road I intend to fit the following:-

2 x 100 watt solar panels - absolutely essential.

Twin Reversing camera

Double Din Media unit with sat nav (convenient for reversing camera)

Additional 12v Sockets

Spare loo waste tank

Snipe satellite system ( already sent to deal to fit)

Not bothered with an awning this time see how we get on without one.

Also looking at additional water tank in garage may fit a couple of 25 Lt containers and a submersible pump as main water tank is only 100Lt.

Discretion prevents me from doing an appraisal of the OH asa an accessory on line, or rather survival instinct!

I was a bit worried about it sounding like a bragging list (it was the coffee machine that did it I suspect) but it has taken me eight years to built this lot up and I did take ages to commit to some of it - the solar panel for example, which we only bought a couple of years ago, after several years of disbelieving when they came out. My extravagent treat for the MH this year is a set of plastic stretcher bars for the windbreak costing under £30.

And we are in process of selling the home, so maybe we will spend more time away afterwards! We had a coupleof four week trips to France last year and I'd like to go for longer and more often, and get down into Spain and italy more than we have so far.

Our 135 watt solar panel has proved to be more than enough so far, as the dealer said it would be. I forgot to mention the reversing camera - another occasionally useful thing, hitching up to the trailer for example. It hasn't entirely stopped me from reversing into things though. :-(

afternoon folks,

The best thing we have bought and the best value is a blue plastic hose from brownhills and I bought as crew on fitting from a garden centre in France. The worst was sat television which was more trouble than what it was worth. I was interested in your comment about roll out awnings as we have never had one but are contemplating having one, It appears to be something you either love or don,t need . A non stick frying pan now does the toast instead of the very useless smev grill.

norm

goldi - 2014-04-12 1:39 PM

afternoon folks,

The best thing we have bought and the best value is a blue plastic hose from brownhills and I bought as crew on fitting from a garden centre in France. The worst was sat television which was more trouble than what it was worth. I was interested in your comment about roll out awnings as we have never had one but are contemplating having one, It appears to be something you either love or don,t need . A non stick frying pan now does the toast instead of the very useless smev grill.

norm

We use a wire frame thing with wire guaze underneth to make toast - only one slice at once but it works a treat. Cost under £5.

The beauty of motorhoming is that it means different things to different people. There are so many ways of enjoying the hobby.

My wife is pressing me to have a TV in the van so that will give you an indication of where we are on the accessory front. The only accessories fitted to our van are alarm, waste bin and cab radio. In our last van we added a second battery.

Brock - 2014-04-12 2:31 PM

The beauty of motorhoming is that it means different things to different people. There are so many ways of enjoying the hobby.......

Couldn't agree more. We were on a Stellplatz in SE Germany parked up alongside a VW campervan and the other side of them was a huge, extremely luxurious and expensive Phoenix motorhome, with a garage for a Smart car inside the back. Although they tactfully kept their opinions to themselves, the retired couple in the VW clealry just couldn't understand the "kitchen sink and all" approach to motorhome touring in comfort. They would have been able to afford one too but chose to keep it simple and to enjoy walking the hills together each day and enjoying a simple meal cooked on a camping stove afterwards.

We enjoyed each other's company over a glass or two of wine one evening nevertheless. Each to his own.

Guest Peter James

My vote would go for Pressure Cooker.

You can put almost anything in with a bit of water, from a good breakfast to a full dinner, and it cooks beautifully.

Plus: Minimum time, minimum steam, easy to keep hot, minimum washing up, and minimum use of gas so less fumes in the van.

Will85 - 2014-04-12 1:13 PM

you haven't mentioned the wife Will

I was very tempted to say my wife but she is standing beside me with my dinner and I want to eat it, not wear it. :-S But she is absolutely indispensable. :-D

When touring, as opposed to heading for winter sun and a fixed abode, we travel very light. If you exclude what may be considered essentials like chairs, outside table, cooking utensils, extra fresh/grey water hoses etc. then I would opt for the wind-out awning coupled with our lightweight wind protector.

Catwg :-D

Coffee percolator, gas powered. Its the first thing that goes on whenever we stop, what would we all do without our double espresso in the mornings to wake us up. Brilliant.

Roll out awning, a waste of time used 3 times in 4 years. Useless lump, that's the awning you understand! I'm not useless just bone idle.

1st. My Wife, as she can do all the jobs, including driving.

2nd. Cadac safari chef.

3rd. Roll out awning with wind blockers, keeps rain off so can use the Cadac all year, provides shade in

the hot sun.

4th. Extra electric cable.

5th. Waste carrier, for the occasions when you cant get to the waste disposal.

Archived