SOLAR PANEL

milpol1

I have a 2007 Autotrail 840se with a solar panel on the roof, which is wired direc t to the 325 Sargeant box...................Anybody any clue as to what size the panel could be, is there a way of identifying the size of the panel.

Thanks

Measure it, a 100W Monocrystalline is approx 1200x550mm, 80Watt 1050x550mm. sizes will vary between manufacturers but surface area for a given output should be roughly the same. Pollycrystalline panels tend to be approx 10% larger for the same output.

IF ( a big word for only two letters) its factory fitted its likely to be an 80 watt unit, its also likely to be right next to the TV aerial which will give a shadow on the pnel and render it almost useless if the van is parked facing anywhere but north. If its not a factory fit it could be almost anything but I beliieve the EC325 unit is only rated for up to 100 Watt solar input.

D.

Dave Newell - 2014-04-14 7:27 PM

IF ( a big word for only two letters) its factory fitted its likely to be an 80 watt unit, its also likely to be right next to the TV aerial which will give a shadow on the pnel and render it almost useless if the van is parked facing anywhere but north. If its not a factory fit it could be almost anything but I beliieve the EC325 unit is only rated for up to 100 Watt solar input.

D.

Is that another example of designed by a numty who doesn't have a clue. (lol)

Thanks for sending me the photo by email, it would have made a lot more sense if you could have explained it better, I've been racking my brains wondering who it was from! Sadly the photo doesn't really help very much. I'd guess it is an 80 Watt but it is only an educated guess. With the van in clear bright sunshine ho many amps does it produce? You should be able to read this off the control panel above the habitation door. To be honest the actual rating of the panel is of little importance. The test will be to see how long you can use the motorhome for without flattening your batteries.

D.

Archived