Pilote opinions please!

Karmann Gipsy

Hi All Following a long and enjoyable holiday in France, we have returned realising that our Karmann is getting too small for two adults and 13 yr /7 yr kids ! We have decided to look for a secondhand six berth, probably an A class. One we have seen for sale is a Pilote 88 MX based on a 2.5 Fiat TD. It is within our price range being a 1996, but we are unsure about potential problems with the Fiat base and also payload availability. All advice welcome!

Pilote are a good make - but their wholly owned German company Frankia-Bavaria are much better (but also somewhat more costly). You are right to be wary of load capacity. I nearly bought a used Pilote myself some years ago, had it weighed and said 'No!' immediately - less than 300 Kgs of load capacity. If in doubt have it weighed. If they refuse, walk away. I have one other problem with Pilote - especially the A-Class models. This is that they change the front shape of the A-Class far too often, making yours look nicely out of date far too soon! Most other converters, whilst updating the design, have managed to keep it gererically similar for many years both Hymer and Laika are excellent examples - at least until laika's Hymer inspired re-design a couple of years ago.

Archived