Bike Gear

mikejkay

Guest JudgeMental

Of course you can! but only if bike looks something like this.....

http://www.haibike.de/microsites/xduro2/us/

http://www.ebike-mtb.com/en/video-review-haibike-xduro-nduro-pro-26/

on a chinese junker you would look ridiculous, probably something like the northern oik, or as Hugh so eloquently called him an utter wassock, whose idea of forum activity is to just pop up and make snide personal comments.

Alas, Judgemental. Having spent a proportion of my daughters' inheritance on a solar panel with all the bits, and a refillable gas bottle with all the bits I am close to my budget for this year. I am therefore contemplating a, shock horror, cheap, probably chinese, bike. Furthermore it will probably be second hand! An Urban Mover Uglider perhaps, or a Giant Lafree. Any advice/recommendations? , other than don't!

fyi I am buying a power assisted bike as I have a heart condition and frequently overreach myself and run out of puff stranded miles from sanctuary i.e. my mh. I am touring the Hebrides, Orkney and Shetlands this summer and want to be able to use small inter-island ferries. I am a photographer and carry a fair weight of camera gear which I intend to put on the bike. As a matter of interest (possibly) your well known opinions on electric bikes are paralleled by mine re cameras. Quality costs. Unfortunately, quality with cameras and lenses is generally linked to weight so my kit is fairly weighty.

If you can bring yourself to do it a recommendation or two for a "cheap" electric bike would be very welcome.

Guest JudgeMental

budget? some on here expect an e bike for the price of a decent battery, cheap dont work in most things as you seem to be aware of, why should ebikes nbe any different, and its hardly a recipe for enjoyable cycling. just go to a dedicated e bike shop and find out for yourself......then come back and we can talk....

your weight and kit weight would be helpful.

me - 111kg (regretably), 6ft 2in, 32in inside leg.

kit - 15kg cut down.

Cheap does work, look at all those people taking photos with 'phone cameras. It just doesn't work too weel. The law of diminishing returns applies.

I'm happy to spend £1000 on a lens but not on a bike. The bikes that I'm considering are generally <£600 new.

Guest JudgeMental
mikejkay - 2014-04-14 2:08 PM

me - 111kg (regretably), 6ft 2in, 32in inside leg.

kit - 15kg cut down.

Cheap does work, look at all those people taking photos with 'phone cameras. It just doesn't work too weel. The law of diminishing returns applies.

I'm happy to spend £1000 on a lens but not on a bike. The bikes that I'm considering are generally <£600 new.

Unrealistic budget for anything I can recommend...sorry but these real budget bikes may resemble a bike but are simply junk....Would rather walk to be honest or catch a bus.

My Chinese bikes (X2) cost £600 each two years ago. They work fine, they are not top of the range but they work and for the amount we use them they are good.

I looked at more expensive bikes from some well known makers.

I could not help but notice the amount of parts including motors that looked identical to the Chinese bikes. They must be good copiers these Chines B-)

H

What about fitting a conversion kit to your existing bike if you have a good bike. It may be a much cheaper option to achieve a half reasonable ebike. I don;t know much about the latest kits but why pay for a new frame, fork, seat etc etc etc when you already have decent ones.

You could get a used decent quality bike for that price, but you would need to ensure that the battery was good, as a new one can cost £250-500 pounds.It pays to do as much research as possible and be prepared to travel to view the bike before parting with your money, most sellers wont post any way.

The bikes are out there you need to be both patient or lucky, I would not touch Chinesey bikes with a long sticky thing.

I paid £430 for my six year old Kalkhoff, but it came with an 80% good 9Ahr battery and an 100% good

18 Ahr battery. There is a test button on the front of the battery which you hold down for a few seconds to give you the charge level and battery condition percentage.

There are two on e-bay now his and hers but no indication of battery condition.

Guest JudgeMental
not a bad idea buying used...I started out that way, but bike was still around £750 (£1500 new). you can buy new batteries for much less money on German ebay. My wifes AVE MH7 on ebay at the moment :-D

As I said in my earlier posts I am not looking for a high performance bike, just an adequate one. I am sure that Judgemental is correct in his assessment that more expensive bikes are better but I am too old and decrepit a for high performance bike, I just want something that will get me around when my body says stop. There seem to be a number of people on this and other forums who "get by" with £600 bikes. I would not call a £600 bike cheap. To harp back to cameras, the price range seems roughly analogous. Not everyone wants or can afford a £3000 top of the range Canon.

Guest JudgeMental

nothing to do with performance. decent hub motor e bikes from reputable companies offering excellent support start from around £1000 - £1500 'ish. and believe me you will need to call on this support with chinese bikes! But you can get better crank drive German bikes for around £1500 anyway if you buy in sales at end of season, so not really that much difference to be honest. Want to ride a pile of junk, that will end up in the garage as so horrible, feel free to do so......

Or why don't you just go to a proper e bike shop and experience the difference, instead of speculating blindly. it costs nothing *-)

http://www.dialledinbikes.com/electric-bikes/

http://www.thecyclingexperts.co.uk/find-a-business/?name=simply_the_bike_ltd&shop=102998

http://torquay.cylex-uk.co.uk/electric%20bikes.html

looking at links, not much choice down you way I fear!

Guest JudgeMental

forget about those links, just posted them quickly without a proper look before post timed out...not much on there.

No Mike you can wear what you want, and what you should do if you can be bothered, is carry out your own due diligence, just like with any buying decision....

Archived